shape
carat
color
clarity

Panorama - Marenge blood mines

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
I just wanted to make a new thread, as perhaps an adjunct (not sure what word fits decently here) - to the 'Social Discontent' thread started by AGBF.

Last night I watched the Panorama programme on 'blood diamonds' coming out of Mugabe's Zimbabwe, from the Marange diamond fields.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14377215

The journalist sought out some hard to get to answers, from some very afraid people. What she discovered, she took to the heads of the KP. Watching them talk, I was struck by the almost 'shrugging off' attitude of the KP spokesman. Whilst the KP initially instigated the ban there, they seem to be unaware of the atrocities still raging there.

The claims of the programme come as the "European Union pushes to let some banned diamonds from the country led by President Robert Mugabe back onto world markets" This makes me despair.

We want diamonds, we love diamonds and some people may even need them. And yet, men women and children are still being brutalised to get them. It's extremely hard to prove origin of stones and rough, and for all the 'policies' that the KP says it has, very few jewellers can state categorically where a particular diamond came from. How many can say 'I have a paper trail that is 100% cast iron clad, of my stones journey from mine to finger?

I almost cried watching and listening to one man's story of having his ankles practically broken by rocks thrown at them, and the soles of his feet beaten with planks of wood.

Money again. Greed again. The leaders wanting it all for themselves in these corrupt regimes. and, feeding those needs from the wants and foibles of the western world. The man in the mine, in the field, is the one who really pays for the diamond.

It's changed my view on things glittery. Irrevocibly. I would rather not have, or pay a premium for proof of origin. In the scheme of things, and more so since our streets here in the UK have been awash with fire and losses too heavy yet to count, a diamond or two is way way down on any list in my head for a long long time.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Disheartening. And not at all surprising, unfortunately. Thank you for posting this.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, thank you.

Yesterday we saw a companion piece, with reporting from Annie Dunnebacke from Global Witness:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/aug/08/zimbabwean-diamonds-ethical-jewellery-trade

Interested readers might want to reflect and post on one of the lead articles on the Rocky Talky forum, where related ideas are being discussed, too:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...y-process-and-the-chinese-new-article.163657/

That there are problems must be contended with. Whether the strategy for contending is Kimberly or not is probably important, and greater effort really needs to be placed on understanding that, exactly, I think.

Ira Z.

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the link you posted Ira - I've bookmarked it to read a little later...

:))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My stomach is crawling.

This, and the London thread...

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1312914545|2987320 said:
My stomach is crawling.

This, and the London thread...

I think I truly know what you are feeling. I can't define the moment, but sometime between seeing that programme last night and sitting for an hour or so at my laptop today reading about the riot crisis, something inside of me withered.

All the above, and the latest financial crisis - which surely didn't need a further kick in the teeth by these riots...

I feel like the very fabric of society is being stretched to its absolute limits - and it's frightening.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Antiques, antiques, antiques. That's one of the things I've always loved about buying old things- you know you aren't supporting some awful manufacturing practice like blood diamonds, or fur farms.

Also, that's horrible. I had wondered how the KP was working, if at all.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results