shape
carat
color
clarity

Panicking - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SBee

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I haven''t posted here for awhile now...but used to be a frequent visitor leading up to my engagement and shortly thereafter.

So it was about 2 years ago now that we bought a lovely .74 round cut D VS2 with great specs from Good Old Gold and set it in a Mark Schneider engagement ring (I have other specs etc. at home, but perhaps my previous posts are still around and have more info?).

Yesterday I looked at my diamond and could see with my naked eye what looks like a long thin crack (looking from the side, not from the top). Whatever it is is definitely catching the light and it extends from prong to prong (4 prong setting). I''ve tried cleaning it and taking a closer look with my 14x loupe. The surface of the diamond appears totally normal and fine all around and on every surface. There still looks like there is this long crack somewhere inside the diamond though. This could not have been there before - I would have noticed it - and I doubt it would score VS2 if it has been there all along.

I haven''t knocked my diamond, to my knowledge, and in fact I hardly ever wear it. Can anyone offer some insight as to what this might be? Is it possible that something is caught underneath it in the setting and just catching the light to look like a flaw? Is it possible that a small flaw that was there from day 1 has suddenly grown on its own into a bigger one?

I will try to post a picture later but if anyone has anything to say in the meantime or any suggestions to offer I would so appreciate it.

SBee

Rough_Rock
Here''s a visual of the ring in the meantime.

ringshotsjb2007052.JPG

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get it appraised?

SBee

Rough_Rock
We did do that...I have all the paperwork at home...or are you suggesting we do it again?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty ring! But yes, take it in to your jeweler and ask them to check it out, to see if it is cracked. My diamond actually cracked not long ago and it sounds like what you are describing. I had just had mine set the week before when I noticed the line going across the surface of the diamond, but just under the surface. I took it in to another jeweler and he confirmed it is a crack
8.gif
For now, I am going to have to live with it, until/if it cracks through to the surface.

But yes, have it checked and see what advice they can give you.

Good luck.

SBee

Rough_Rock
Okay
7.gif
I am feeling nauseous over this. We couldn''t even buy insurance for it after we had my rings appraised because no one here sells insurance for jewellery separate from home insurance (and we''re renters) and renters insurance wouldn''t go the distance. I have no idea what we''ll do if it is cracked
7.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Mine wasn't insured either, I had it on my hand a week when I noticed the crack. My jeweler said it could stay this way for a long time, or crack through... there's no way to tell how long it can 'go' as is, or if it will crack through to the surface...maybe your jeweler can tell you more, if they can tell how close to the surface it is, etc. In the meantime, be careful with it...hope you can work something out to replace it when needed, that's the same boat I'm in right now! But I am still wearing mine every day...what else are you going to do?
20.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 2:44:34 PM
Author:SBee
Hello all! I haven't posted here for awhile now...but used to be a frequent visitor leading up to my engagement and shortly thereafter.

So it was about 2 years ago now that we bought a lovely .74 round cut D VS2 with great specs from Good Old Gold and set it in a Mark Schneider engagement ring (I have other specs etc. at home, but perhaps my previous posts are still around and have more info?).

Yesterday I looked at my diamond and could see with my naked eye what looks like a long thin crack (looking from the side, not
Could it be a girdle reflection? I will post a pic, see if that is what you are seeing. Look at the lines running across the sides. If so you wouldn't be the first to have had a diamond for some time and only just noticed it, if this is the case.

GirdleReflections222.jpg

SBee

Rough_Rock
YES! It does look quite a bit like this, and that is at least the location of where I''m seeing the line----and I was wondering if it was just a reflection that I had not noticed before - but did not know the terminology to look up, so thank you for that. I really hope this is the simple answer.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2009 3:33:08 PM
Author: SBee
YES! It does look quite a bit like this, and that is at least the location of where I'm seeing the line----and I was wondering if it was just a reflection that I had not noticed before - but did not know the terminology to look up, so thank you for that. I really hope this is the simple answer.
I think there is a good chance that is what it is! Like I said, you wouldn't be the first person to notice it even after having the ring for a while. Maybe take it to a jeweller if you are concerned just to verify or post some pics here and we can take a look. Also see if you can see it all the way round the side of the diamond.

Glad to help!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed that it is a girdle reflection!!

SBee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the encouragement but I''m pretty sure it''s not the girdle reflection...

Can someone correct me if I''m wrong ---but I think I can also see the girdle reflection and in the reflection you can actually make out the facets of the girdle in the reflection when looking at it magnified, right? I think what I''m seeing is above the girdle reflection and it doesn''t appear the same way as I look from the different sides
7.gif

I should have taken pictures last night to show you all. I don''t have a regular jeweller and I''m without transportation so I haven''t taken it in yet...plus I''m scared to hear the answer
7.gif

why does this happen? We spent so much time and money to invest in a quality diamond (H&A, from Good Old Gold)...is this the just result of natural forces?

LJS300

Rough_Rock
Have you reached out to Jonathan at Good Old Gold? The store is open until 9 pm tonight. Last night I was in a panic about something that I was going to call him about this morning, but he saw my post and replied and answered all of my questions, putting my mind at rest. I would call them now.

As far as renter''s insurance, I''m not sure whether this depends on the state you live in, but at least in NY, and at least with Traveler''s, you can purchase a rider for your renter''s insurance to cover certain expensive items, like jewelry. I really hope that you''re just seeing a reflection and that as soon as you get the good news you call your insurer and find out you can pay a bit extra and get your beautiful ring insured.

Please keep us posted!

d-nice

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/22/2009 2:55:18 PM
Author: SBee
Okay
7.gif
I am feeling nauseous over this. We couldn''t even buy insurance for it after we had my rings appraised because no one here sells insurance for jewellery separate from home insurance (and we''re renters) and renters insurance wouldn''t go the distance. I have no idea what we''ll do if it is cracked
7.gif
check these people out for insurance---> Jewelers Mutual

SBee

Rough_Rock
I''m Canadian so no dice on that but thanks anyway :)

Our living situation is also a bit unique as far as renters insurance is concerned - but the bottom line is we have no insurance for the rings and can''t really get any (it would be cost prohibitive).

Anyyyyyway. I am still puzzled about the diamond. I inspected it for a full hour out in the natural light yesterday and couldn''t not see anything other than the girdle reflection. Sitting in the office now, under different lighting, I drive myself crazy seeing something else. I''m going to take it to the jeweller when I am able to get to one :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would call Jon if you are still worried, I know he will give you reassurance and good advice if you speak to him. I doubt the diamond is damaged but I would honestly get a pro to look at it otherwise this is going to keep bothering you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results