shape
carat
color
clarity

Pandemic fatigue or the new normal?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Another symptom of quarantine fatigue is anger. I had a tempter tantrum this afternoon as the substitute postal carrier failed for the third day in a row to pick up the outgoing priority mail packages (my regular carrier is a brilliant wonderful human and I love her to bits). The substitute guy is a jerk, a lazy inconsequential slug, as far as I’m concerned. I wish he’d pull up his pants. Ack!

Anyway, today’s mail had jewels going out so I watched like a hawk to see if he’d pick up and scan the box. Nope! He looked right at it and ignored it, shoving the deliveries right in on top. I raged. The cats thought I had lost my mind. By the time I got to the box, he had Zoomed off, and I fussed and fussed inside my mask as I drove to the post office. I had officially lost it.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are holding up really well.
Our house sold and we bought a new one so busy with packing and selling things, as well as planning for the new place.
Only get together once a month with friends outdoors and 6' apart---but winter is coming and that will come to an end.
I work out at home as I always have so no change there. We didn't really eat out more than once a month so that is no hardship.

We've done quite a bit of research regarding flying and we are thinking of still going to Mexico next month. I am not concerned about sanitation or the air on the plane. Contactless check in and spacing at TSA.
We will fly first class with N95 masks, wait for flight in the Admiral's Club which enforces masks and distancing. One 4 hour flight. We will board last so the entire Coach cabin is not traipsing by us. Also will be first off the plane.
We feel comfortable with the resort we have booked. 50% occupancy, contactless check-in, they sanitize your luggage and shoes on arrival. Employees wear masks and face shields and guests have to wear masks. Limit of 2 people in the elevator and rooms are sanitized.
Quintana Roo has fewer cases than my own county.
We will be outside most of the time and stay at the resort--no excursions.

I know many will disagree with our choice. But we feel we are making an informed decision regarding our risk tolerance.

I actually have extended family—very high-risk—who have traveled to Cancun like 3 times since pandemic. And they are fine.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very fatigued with the new normal. I go places occasionally but am careful to avoid crowds and places where people are foregoing masks. I held my kids out of school this term but will be sending them after the new year. It's draining them to stay home. My oldest daughter is severely depressed. My other two are sick of it as well. There have also only been a handful of cases in their school so I definitely feel the risk to their mental health is worse than the threat of covid at this time. Trying to be positive but it's really hard.

A lot of local schools are opening near me and there doesn’t seem to be any uptick in cases traced back to the schools. My school allowed students to go back for sports.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Given that my husband is still unemployed, and one of my kids is still home doing virtual school (the other returned last week, wearing masks....it’s a phased approach, starting with elementary, then middle, then high school), I am definitely COVID fatigued. I’m honestly not sure how much longer I can manage. The financial uncertainty alone is suffocating. DH is 55 and we are finding that it’s not good to be over 40, when 30 million people are out of work. We are burning through our “emergency” savings fund and if this continues more than another 2-3 months, we will have to dip into investments/retirement. I’ve been interviewing for a full time job too. I hate that DH feels all of the weight of our financial stability. I honestly hadn’t realized how expensive our lives were....between mortgage, COBRA, kid’s tutors, travel baseball and tennis lessons, it’s shocking what we spend a month (and I get my hair cut 2x a year, do my own nails, etc.). We by no means live extravagantly. I’ve even been considering selling one of my rings, but the thought breaks my heart (though not as much as dipping into retirement funds would).

Many people around us are acting like nothing has changed...big, indoor parties, going to the mall (without masks), etc. It makes me so angry.

Other than DD who returned to school, we go nowhere other than the grocery store. We have had a another couple over on the screened porch a couple of times, which was lovely and felt almost normal.

Contemplating Thanksgiving for 10 (immediate family) on the porch, using card tables to separate each household while we remove masks to eat. It’s sad that this is the reality of where we are now, but with my Dad taking immunosuppressants due to a transplant, we can’t risk it. It would be the first time my family has gotten together since March....it makes me so sad.

I’m praying that an effective vaccine comes out soon and is distributed efficiently! Hugs to all who are struggling.

Last edited:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I actually have extended family—very high-risk—who have traveled to Cancun like 3 times since pandemic. And they are fine.

That's good to hear. Cancun (where we are headed) is in Quintana Roo--they have fewer cases than my county.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's good to hear. Cancun (where we are headed) is in Quintana Roo--they have fewer cases than my county.

Yes. I also have other family who say that Mexico really takes Covid see seriously and they feel very safe.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another symptom of quarantine fatigue is anger. I had a tempter tantrum this afternoon as the substitute postal carrier failed for the third day in a row to pick up the outgoing priority mail packages (my regular carrier is a brilliant wonderful human and I love her to bits). The substitute guy is a jerk, a lazy inconsequential slug, as far as I’m concerned. I wish he’d pull up his pants. Ack!

Anyway, today’s mail had jewels going out so I watched like a hawk to see if he’d pick up and scan the box. Nope! He looked right at it and ignored it, shoving the deliveries right in on top. I raged. The cats thought I had lost my mind. By the time I got to the box, he had Zoomed off, and I fussed and fussed inside my mask as I drove to the post office. I had officially lost it.

I have been known to berate a complete stranger if I deem their behavior unacceptable.
I exploded at a guy who hit my SUV with his car door...while I was sitting in it, no less!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For us not a lot has changed. I’ve essentially been home since having the kids so doing distance learning with them was not a huge shift. Since we have been living on one income for 13 years and DH is considered an essential worker, we never lost income which made things a lot easier to deal with. It’s just business as usual, I’ve enjoyed having the kids home and it has solved some problems for them like bullying for example. Not everything is rainbows but it could be a lot worse.

One thing though, since coming off quarantine it has been a little awkward. DH went over to the neighbor’s house (they are in our bubble) for a visit and they made a point of telling him that they had to go into quarantine for two weeks since he came down with COVID and I had been at their house before he got sick. Kind of the feeling of we inconvenienced them by him getting sick, I thought it was kind of a crappy thing to say to him. So it messes with your head a bit, will people hold it against us or be less likely to want to see us because we were affected....just a strange thing to have to think about.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada that sucks re your neighbors being less than kind to your husband. Now is not the time to turn against each other; we all need to be supportive as this can happen to anyone no matter what precautions they've taken. I'm sorry. If I was in your bubble I'd bring you cupcakes and do what I could to cheer everyone up.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been known to berate a complete stranger if I deem their behavior unacceptable.
I exploded at a guy who hit my SUV with his car door...while I was sitting in it, no less!

Girrrrrl you got to get on that Eckhart Tolle in your quote. The Power of Now is such a calming book. I spent a lot of years stressed out and angry and irritable. Finally, I just realized I wasn't living my best nor happiest life trying to control everything. Letting go is difficult at first but when you experience it a few times and feel how freeing it is? Then it's all you want to do. I don't worry about sh*t now. I started getting into this mindset last year, well before COVID, and guess what? Nothing bad has happened. Not one thing. In fact, as I've lessened my grip on "omg the world must perform this way in order for me to be happy or to not worry" things have been more positive than ever.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids are grown, both my husband and I have still have our jobs and I can work from home. My father passed away late last year after a years of physical/mental decline...and in an odd way, the pandemic helped me make peace with his death as I couldn't imagine him going through this. So I know I have it better than most.

After years of taking care of my dad, this was the year my mom and I were going to spend time together and travel. Of course, Covid cancelled all of that and she is stuck at home alone. I drive down every 6 weeks to spend time with her (7 1/2 hour drive each way) and she is 85, I need to be overly cautious.

Other than walking my dog, I pretty much quarantine 2 weeks before and after...and take a covid test before going down to be safe. The one week between the quarantine is the only time I have to do anything that involves leaving the house (usually a pedicure due to bad feet, medical/dental stuff, and maybe a socially distanced get together with friends which will stop once the cold weather hits).

Much of my social life was going out to eat with friends, concerts and the theatre. I loved working in the city and miss going into the office. I am an extreme extrovert and get my energy from others...so the pandemic has me drained. The funny thing was for the first few months, I was motivated and sleeping better than ever. Now everything is keeping me up and I'm less motivated. That being said, I know how lucky I am compared to so many others.

Last edited:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well @monarch64 you are a kind person with a good heart, it’s unfortunate not everyone has these virtues, the world would be a better place.

Thank you, @YadaYadaYada . That means a lot to me. You've always been a positive person since I bumped into you here on PS, and I appreciate it as I'm sure every other member does. I don't think the world will ever be perfect, but I think you're right that it could be a better place if we humans could get it together and just be cool with each other.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Omg @missy the last time we went to costco, about two weeks ago, some man wearing a handkerchief (open bottom) coughed right on my arm, droplets and all. I was livid and ran to the bathroom to wash it off. He stood right next to me trying to figure out what line to get into, when there were like 10 registers open and each only had 2-3 people. It was early and wide open, did you really need to stand right next to me?? That same trip, I saw one of the chin-mask people sneeze on some lady's face and she yelled it got in her eyes. I swear people are feral. Covid or not, it's disgusting, and could have easily been prevented if they had a disposable mask on. Those are thin and protect better, and don't muffle voices as much as the cloth ones. CA has 40 million people, LA County alone has over 10 million. People don't seem to understand that when outbreaks occur, they tend to spread exponentially and it happens much faster in densely populated areas.

Good thing I'm not a hugger or physically affectionate, or else I'd be sad. Right now I'm just angry people can't do the one simple thing that can get society moving again.

Ugh. I am so sorry. Spittle on the arm...YUCK.

My personal favorite was when my husband and I went to a restaurant to get a table to eat on the patio. They made you go inside to talk to the hostess. Okay fine.

We go to the hostess, she then pulled her mask down and leaned in real close to talk to me and explain that they had someone on their staff test positive but don't worry they are taking care of it and it was four whole days ago.

Like...what?!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I am fatigued, but it also feels normal to feel so fatigued.

Many of our acquaintances have fallen away, that saddens me the most...to lose people in your life, or rather, find out you never really had them at all. I am a social person and the loneliness is hard. I miss going to nice restaurants, chatting with people without them wincing as I come close to them, getting drinks after working.

I do not miss working in the office. That has been beautiful, and getting to know my husband in a way I wouldn't have otherwise.

We had our wedding amidst this. My makeup artist had COVID-19, and got two people sick despite all of the precautions. We only had 10 guests and held everything outdoors. An attempt to normalize while (failing at) balancing safety. One person became critically ill, but he has since recovered.

I can't imagine a world that isn't like this. It feels like years, and I expect the ripples will be felt for years. Along with social discord, I think we are living in a weird time of shared angst and dissatisfaction. The pandemic is just driving a deeper wedge between the "haves and have nots"

So...to prevent caving in from despair and existential angst....

WE GOT A PUPPY. :lol:

He comes home Nov. 7th and it is so nice to have something fun to look forward to!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My area entered Tier 3 restrictions today, so we are only allowed essential travel, work, no household mixing indoors or outside in gardens, no more than groups of 6 in public spaces etc. Masks have been mandatory in the high schools since Sept, so my eldest has got used to that too. I'm definitely over it, but I'm so used to not going anywhere anymore, that I'm happy to carry on.

The masks don't bother me & I'm happy to wear one whenever I enter the supermarket or petrol station etc, but people not wearing them correctly REALLY bothers me. Even worse than that, are the elderly people not wearing them properly, under the chin or just over their mouths. Why do shop staff turn a blind eye? I've kindly pulled up a couple of people, but had a mouthful for my efforts & been told I have no respect for my elder generation. Really?? And here i was trying to help you :roll:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw an elderly man in Costco walking around with the mask under his nose @Alex T, so I asked one of the assistants to have a word with him. We were in a supermarket the other day, and a young man walked by with his mask under his nose, so I just said “It’s supposed to be over your nose”. He gave me a dirty look, but when I saw him again, he’d pulled it up :lol:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw an elderly man in Costco walking around with the mask under his nose @Alex T, so I asked one of the assistants to have a word with him. We were in a supermarket the other day, and a young man walked by with his mask under his nose, so I just said “It’s supposed to be over your nose”. He gave me a dirty look, but when I saw him again, he’d pulled it up :lol:

I'll definitely be pointing them out to shop assistants from now on. There are plenty of them around, and it's really their job to police it.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have had enough of it. I'm tired of this year.

I didn't enjoy working at the office really, and I work at home full time now. We have had no income change, but I find that we are both working more hours. With working at home full time now, versus a day or two a week as before, I find that I feel guilty stopping at a normal time. So, I work, have dinner, and then work more until bed. There is no break between work and days kind of merge together for me.

We live in an area where basically everything is open, but we aren't social people by nature. We'd got to dinner, or to certain things, though, but it's the two of us, versus other people. We are both introverted and spend most of our time together, unless we need solo time. However, I can't say I love to go to a restaurant with a mask on. It's still 90 degrees F here and it's hot with one. I'd rather stay home than sit outside in 90 degree weather with a mask on.

The biggest thing is no travel. I normally go to NYC to visit my brother and time it with the antique jewelry show in October. We were going to go to NC this past spring to the mountains. I don't feel comfortable traveling and probably won't for some time. I have not had a real vacation in 5 years. I have had a long weekend in NYC to visit my brother where I worked remotely the whole time. Every "trip" is usually 3 days and I work remotely each time. Other half is in a doctorate program and has been in school for the last few years, so we can't even go on a "vacation" more than 3 days. So, this makes it harder because it's another year or two where we can't do that.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
New Normal changes for us- since Covid we’ve only eaten out once and my kids are home all the time. But that could also be because we moved and now are about an hour away from Philly rather than 25 minutes away. Prior to moving we would eat out at least twice a month. Lately we’ve been doing a lot of DoorDash, Ubereats and Grubhub. More than I ever have tbh bc I never used it when we lived in NJ.

I hate driving so I normally don’t go out to stores or grocery shopping anyway, but my online retail activity has sky rocketed. Probably bc we moved, so I’ve been wanting to decorate and get things for the house but also bc I’d rather not go out. I think Amazon visits us every day. My husband said I should be embarrassed at what the neighbors think, I said who gives a f@ck what they think. I buy everything including laundry detergent and maxi pads. I don’t go out to the store unless absolutely necessary but that was my norm pre-Covid anyway.

My sister lives in London and has been in America since May. She came and visited us for a few days in August. It was a big thing in our family bc my mom (lives in NY) did not want to see her.
So my sister got Covid tested prior to coming here to De and then once again when she arrived here at my house. Then we went to visit my mom. Everything turned out fine but my sister felt slighted. It turns out my SIL had Covid previously (so she says in March) and they (SIL, my brother and kids) got it again in September. My sister is annoyed that my mom wouldn’t see her when she came “all the way from London”, but it was okay that SIL had at “twice” and was allowed to visit numerous times.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't feel like I have pandemic fatigue, and I feel my family has adjusted reasonably well to the new normal.

We respect the rules in our jurisdiction. Within those, we can spend time outdoors, go into commercial establishments (with masks), but not socialize in groups, or eat at restaurants, so we don't. My kids go to school with various special restrictions, and so far it seems to be working (schools in my area have been found to not be a significant source of transmission). I do take public transit occasionally, wearing my mask and staying apart from others as possible. In short, we live our lives, but respect the rules and try to be sensible about risks.

Like some others in previous threads, as an introvert, there are some aspects about the pandemic's social isolation that I enjoy. I have really taken to working from home, and plan to continue post-COVID. I also already live far away from the rest of my immediate family, so we were not regularly seeing them anyways.

But all that said, I know we're lucky. We are in low risk groups age and healthwise. I have a well paying job I can do from home (for now anyways) and my kids are old enough to manage their own school work. I feel for families with young children who have no childcare or who need to homeschool.

As far as OP's question about what others around me are doing... generally my neighbors and colleagues seem to be respecting the various rules in our area. I do see strangers in public sometimes not wearing their mask, which is annoying! Don't get me started about the guy who sneezed on the bus without his mask on, lol.

Anne

PS - Small anecdote... during the worst of the initial lockdowns in Mar/Apr, almost everything around me closed, but I found this one coffee shop that stayed open throughout (with proper precautions, etc). So I started every morning taking an early morning walk to pickup a coffee. That one small thing helped me feel normal during a very disorienting time. I still give an oversized tip every day...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Ugh. I am so sorry. Spittle on the arm...YUCK.

My personal favorite was when my husband and I went to a restaurant to get a table to eat on the patio. They made you go inside to talk to the hostess. Okay fine.

We go to the hostess, she then pulled her mask down and leaned in real close to talk to me and explain that they had someone on their staff test positive but don't worry they are taking care of it and it was four whole days ago.

Like...what?!

OMG what. I hope you guys turned around and walked away because there are so many red flags there. Seriously, people complain that things can't fully reopen... this is why! People can't be trusted to follow simple directions.

And yes, the spittle on the arm was completely disgusting. I held my breath the whole time.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
OMG what. I hope you guys turned around and walked away because there are so many red flags there. Seriously, people complain that things can't fully reopen... this is why! People can't be trusted to follow simple directions.

And yes, the spittle on the arm was completely disgusting. I held my breath the whole time.

Oh don’t worry, we definitely waltzed right out!

We now affectionately refer to it as the “COVID cantina”

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
All my friends are embracing the new normal, however some are still avoiding certain venues or activities etc., myself included.

I only started to use public transport last Friday, to use the local buses to go into town and back so that I can drink. Each trip was no more than 15min, and the buses were quiet when I used them.

I am avoiding long trips on public transport, and have no plan to visit towns or cities that are considered as hotspots for leisure activities like going to bars and restaurants.

Most, myself included, are not taking any foreign holidays in the foreseeable future due to the rapid changing nature of the quarantine list and self isolation requirements.

The most vulnerable with serious underlying health conditions are shielding to certain extent, like avoiding crowded places and only mixed with their support bubbles.

DK :))

I took a bus a few weeks back - only 3 passengers and we all wore masks but personally i was astounded at how much of the bus i touched but
I did have my hand sanatizer

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Given that my husband is still unemployed, and one of my kids is still home doing virtual school (the other returned last week, wearing masks....it’s a phased approach, starting with elementary, then middle, then high school), I am definitely COVID fatigued. I’m honestly not sure how much longer I can manage. The financial uncertainty alone is suffocating. DH is 55 and we are finding that it’s not good to be over 40, when 30 million people are out of work. We are burning through our “emergency” savings fund and if this continues more than another 2-3 months, we will have to dip into investments/retirement. I’ve been interviewing for a full time job too. I hate that DH feels all of the weight of our financial stability. I honestly hadn’t realized how expensive our lives were....between mortgage, COBRA, kid’s tutors, travel baseball and tennis lessons, it’s shocking what we spend a month (and I get my hair cut 2x a year, do my own nails, etc.). We by no means live extravagantly. I’ve even been considering selling one of my rings, but the thought breaks my heart (though not as much as dipping into retirement funds would).

Many people around us are acting like nothing has changed...big, indoor parties, going to the mall (without masks), etc. It makes me so angry.

Other than DD who returned to school, we go nowhere other than the grocery store. We have had a another couple over on the screened porch a couple of times, which was lovely and felt almost normal.

Contemplating Thanksgiving for 10 (immediate family) on the porch, using card tables to separate each household while we remove masks to eat. It’s sad that this is the reality of where we are now, but with my Dad taking immunosuppressants due to a transplant, we can’t risk it. It would be the first time my family has gotten together since March....it makes me so sad.

I’m praying that an effective vaccine comes out soon and is distributed efficiently! Hugs to all who are struggling.

We'll get through this somehow
best wishes your Dad stays healthy - That's the most important thing
there is a good job out there with our names on it - somehow we have to stay positive
I don't know how people with families are managing
Our cats are getting the cheap store brand wet food for breakfast and i feel a bit cra##y about it
It is kind of hard sometimes when other's seem to be living like 'nornal' and we are struggling but somehow we will come out of this stronger - we have to

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I enjoy home delivery of groceries. I did the family grocery shopping since age 8. I don’t miss it at all and don’t understand why grocery store parking lots still seem full near me.

Restaurant food is generally overrated IMO. Risk my life or health to sit in a restaurant or bar? No way.

I do miss hanging out with friends, concerts, movies, and travel. But I can hold out another year or so for that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yenny! I am so very sorry! My brother-in-law is 63 and also lost his job due to COVID cuts. It's hard for anyone to get a job right now, and definitely harder for those who are older. Your hubby has a good many years left, so if the economy can pick back up next year, hopefully he will find something good soon!

As for us, we are fortunate to live in an area with very low cases. The current number of positive cases is 176 in our whole county, and it really hasn't been much higher than that at any time since this started. Our schools started out with students coming half time in August, and elementary kids went back 5 days a couple of weeks ago. We just are not seeing spread in schools or a higher number of adult cases since kids went back. Almost all the deaths have been from nursing homes. I do not personally know a single person who has had COVID and certainly hope it remains that way.

My life is fairly close to normal in that I do see my children and grandchildren (and I help babysit the grandchildren), I do see a few good friends, have only eaten inside a restaurant a few times since March, have not gone clothes shopping and shop online instead, no movies since they are closed anyway, but we do go to church with seat spacing (zero cases since we resumed meeting in the last 4 months). We cancelled a trip to Montana/Wyoming in May, but we did go on our normal beach trip in June and Sept. There were no issues at the beach or pool as they were not crowded, and we could go out to eat there as there was outdoor seating. We went to the mountains this summer, also, but other than enjoying the outdoors, it was not pleasant walking around the little town to visit the beautiful shops and restaurants with masks. I can't tolerate one for very long. We skipped our October mountain trip. I use my favorite small store for most groceries once a week and can get in and out of there in about 15 minutes. All other shopping I do online.

I am hoping that like H1N1 and SARs 1, etc., this thing will run it's course in the next few months. I don't call this a "new normal", because I consider it to be "temporary abnormal". I will be happy when things are back to normal, but in the meantime I try to be very thankful for all the positive things in my life and avoid the doom and gloom the news media seems to promote.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I had H1N1/Swine Flu in 2009 and it was absolutely horrible. I was 11 years younger then and it wasn’t nearly as dangerous/deadly as COVID. Still it brought me to my knees. So the idea of resuming unnecessary activities prematurely because I’m bored isn’t on my radar.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had H1N1/Swine Flu in 2009 and it was absolutely horrible. I was 11 years younger then and it wasn’t nearly as dangerous/deadly as COVID. Still it brought me to my knees. So the idea of resuming unnecessary activities prematurely because I’m bored isn’t on my radar.

Yes I can only imagine. I had the regular "garden variety" flu in the spring of 2005 and it brought me to my knees as well. It was horrible. I was afraid I was dying and afraid I wasn't dying if you kwim I was in so much pain. So yeah, I do not want to get Covid. If by being careful and staying at home when I can and wearing masks and keeping physical distance from others when I have to go out keeps us safe it is a small price to pay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results