shape
carat
color
clarity

Pancreatic cancer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone here experienced this, either yourself or someone you know? A close family member will most likely be diagnosed with this & I am just so upset with what I am reading about it
39.gif
I guess I am hoping to hear that someone just maybe someone has beat it or at least survived longer than the crummy statistics.

Thanks

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
vegasangel i'm so sorry. My 43 year old uncle passed away this past jan. after being diagnosed a little over a year ago (which is a long time with the disease). he fought a long hard battle but the cancer spread to his liver and it just goes downhill very quickly. He left a wife and 2 kids ages 7 and 4. it's a horrible, horrible disease and I hope your family member isn't diagnosed but in reality depending on where the cancer is located in the pancreas the survival rates are not good
7.gif

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
I am SOOOOOO sorry to hear that. My MIL died from that. She was in her 50s when she died -- 14 months after diagnosis. I would just hope that your family member tries to aim for quality of life and pain control. I know that is very hard to hear (and say).
8.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks MrsSalvo & ltl. It''s my dad that probably has PC. He is still waiting for the biopsy results. I went to see him today for the first time since I found out & he is jaundiced & has lost a lot of weight. Just by looking at him I can tell the news probably isnt going to be good. I cannot get over how sudden this is. One week he is fine the next this. I never even knew this cancer existed until now. What bothers me so much is that by the time they find it, it''s too late. Not that I want my dad to have cancer but why couldnt it have been one with a chance to beat it. this is pretty much a death sentence.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I have lost one friend (my daughter''s former cello teacher) to pancreatic cancer, I also know one longtime survivor. She is the mother of a good friend and now must be close to 90. I would guess that she got the diagnosis about 20 years ago. She had an operation at Yale New Haven Hospital which was supposed to work on 1 out of 5 people. I believe it involved alcohol. This was 20 years ago, and in cancer treatment 20 years might as well have been before Penicillin. She was the 1 in 5 who was cured by the surgery. She never had a recurrence of the cancer and is still going strong.

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/24/2007 7:29:13 PM
Author: VegasAngel
Thanks MrsSalvo & ltl. It''s my dad that probably has PC. He is still waiting for the biopsy results. I went to see him today for the first time since I found out & he is jaundiced & has lost a lot of weight. Just by looking at him I can tell the news probably isnt going to be good. I cannot get over how sudden this is. One week he is fine the next this. I never even knew this cancer existed until now. What bothers me so much is that by the time they find it, it''s too late. Not that I want my dad to have cancer but why couldnt it have been one with a chance to beat it. this is pretty much a death sentence.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

I am very sorry, VegasAngel. I was writing while you were. I am so sorry that things have progressed so quickly.

Deb
34.gif

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I was in your same position just a couple of months ago with my mom! She was suddenly very ill and jaundiced. She had been complaining of digestive pain for some time though, and the doctor wasn't taking her very seriously. When she started turning yellow so quickly, and her calls to her doctor were not returned, my dad took her to the ER.

She was admitted to the hospital immediately and the tests began. One of the first blood tests that night was for a cancer marker in the liver/pancreatic area, and it came back high. I thought it was all over for her and I started grieving intensely. The next few days involved ct scans, mri, liver biopsy, endoscopy. No cancer was found. After 11 days of hospitalization, it was believed to be autoimmune hepatitis - her own body was attacking her liver, and it's a mystery as to why. She is being successfully treated with prednisone and is feeling well.

Don't give up - wait and see what further tests reveal. I'm hoping the best for your dad, and I'll remember you all in my prayers.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
What bothers me so much is that by the time they find it, it''s too late. Not that I want my dad to have cancer but why couldnt it have been one with a chance to beat it. this is pretty much a death sentence.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

this is exactly how we felt with my uncle. His was located in a place where they couldn''t operate so he did chemo and opted not to do radiation. His started with back pain and then the yellowing of his skin color. Again, I hope for the best for your dad...hugs....

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
:{
prayers outgoing!

longtimelurker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/24/2007 8:15:43 PM
Author: mrssalvo

What bothers me so much is that by the time they find it, it''s too late. Not that I want my dad to have cancer but why couldnt it have been one with a chance to beat it. this is pretty much a death sentence.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

this is exactly how we felt with my uncle. His was located in a place where they couldn''t operate so he did chemo and opted not to do radiation. His started with back pain and then the yellowing of his skin color. Again, I hope for the best for your dad...hugs....
Oh how I know how you feel
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
. My MIL did have surgery, then radiation, then chemo....but what about her quality of life? I hope if I am ever in that position I am surrounded by people who support whatever choices I make. Supported if I choose the most agressive medical treatments; supported if I choose to forgo treatment(s) and instead have shorter, but more quality, for the time that is left.

I felt the most sad for my MIL for the guilt heaped on her by some of her family when she accepted reality and discontinued treatment(s) aimed at a "cure"
38.gif

My heart goes out to your family.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a prayer that your Dad is the 1 in 5

Rockdoc

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
VegasAngel,
Sending prayers your dad''s way. Hang in there.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I hope you find peace this week. Make sure and take care of you during this wait and see time. I''m praying for your dad.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vegas, I am so sorry. My dad died in 1981 from metastitic melanoma of the liver. I pray for your dad''s recovery. Many cancers are so virulent and cannot really be detected until it is almost too late. Cancer deaths are down overall but some forms are still very tricky. Be strong and I hope you get some rest too...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VegasAngel, I''m so very sorry to hear that your father has PC. Although I do not know anyone who has dealt with this particular cancer before, I do know quite a number of people (including my father, my FIL, friends, and many acquaintances) who have gone through cancer and treatments in their 50''s and 60''s. Not a single one has succumbed to their cancer thus far! There IS hope. You must not lose sight of that fact, and don''t allow your father to feel that there is no hope for him, no matter what statistics say. I think one very important key to successful treatment of cancer is the patient''s attitude and whether or not they are able to foresee a positive outcome and hold onto that. You and your family can take this opportunity to spend some serious good quality time with your father and promote the fact that he has a lot to live for and realistically he still has a fighting chance. Yes, he will want to get his affairs in life squared away to be responsible, but hey, that''s something anyone that age could have to go through at any given time...but it is NOT a reason to give up.

My father was diagnosed with stage IV colorectal cancer (same thing his dad died of) shortly before my wedding 3.5 years ago. My parents didn''t tell me anything until I was on my honeymoon and my dad was in surgery to remove most of his internal organs...I thought he looked like he wasn''t very healthy at my wedding but blamed it on nerves or whatever. After that he went through a lot more surgeries and a stint in ICU after going into cardiac arrest for over 30 minutes, something that would leave most people comatose or in a vegatative state for the rest of their lives. He survived, and is doing well and cancer free now, has been for almost 2 years! you just never know, miracles DO happen. Do not give up! I wish you and your family and father the absolute best. I am certainly sending positive vibes your way...take care!
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Vegas Angel, I am so sorry. I will keep you and your father in my prayers.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monarch, first, glad your dad is better and cancer free. That is wonderful.

Also, I could not agree more about the positive focus being of great benefit...and having that will to be well is critical. Having loving support around is a vital part of a patient's good experience during a very trying and tough time for all involved.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My most fervent wishes for upbeat and positive news for you......I''ll be praying.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
My mother in law's "twin" (they are as close as twins") was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this past summer after not feeling well for months. She is a vibrant, happy woman in her late 50s with two new grandchildren....It is a real shame... I don't have many details but something was wrapped around something else so that they could not operate....But she's been doing chemo and keeping her weight up...so for now, she is doing ok. I'm afraid the prognosis is really rarely good...but I do believe in medical miracles...So head up and stay positive...

How old is this person Vegas?

golden

Shiny_Rock
So sorry VegasAngel...prayers are with you and your family.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2007 12:29:18 AM
Author: aljdewey
My most fervent wishes for upbeat and positive news for you......I''ll be praying.
Ditto - hang in there VA.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vegas, hoping for good news for you and your family. Biggest hugs outgoing!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
VA, I am so sorry.
7.gif

I had a friend who died of pancreatic cancer, I am sorry to say it was not long they had after diagnosis.

However, my father in law was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, including the liver and intestines. It''s been almost 5 years since diagnosis! He is a walking miracle. He is not perfect, he is living with cancer. But his tumor marker levels are low and he is doing very well.

He was fortunate to get very good help in NY at Lenox Hill hospital and has a very talented oncologist. Now he is in Japan receiving novel therapies not available in the US.

We really did NOT expect him to make it this far. He is super courageous and an example that serious stage 4 cancer can be held off and much longer lifespans are possible.

Best of luck to you and your Dad - keep in mind, even with bad stats, there are always exceptions. Try and stay as positive as you can, there is always hope.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
such a difficult thing for all concerned dealing with this horrible disease. my thoughts and prayers will be hoping for a good outcome for your father. my sympathies to everyone who is dealing with these illnesses and sometimes loss.

as mmm said i too believe in medical miracles. keep up hope.
1.gif

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
vegas, i''m so sorry to hear that you and your family are in such a tough place. i agree with what so many others have said... it''s so important to stay positive. i''ve dealt with cancer in my personal life and in my professional life. i have seen many survive, others die. most importantly, i have seen the power of hope. it is truly incredible.

i really hope it isn''t pancreatic cancer and encourage you to be hopeful that it isn''t. if it is, then yes, you are right. pancreatic cancer sucks. there really is no way to sugar-coat it. but there are usually options. if the cancer is limited to the pancreas, then you can do a surgical procedure called a "whipple". it''s a tough surgery where the pancreas is removed. it''s important to have a skilled surgeon since it''s quite complicated. if the cancer has spread, then chemo +/- radiation is the answer. it''s a tough cancer and a tough road ahead. but, please remember, no matter how bad the cancer is, there are survivors out there.

YMA

Shiny_Rock
My Dad was diagnosed with this about 2-3 years ago, thank god his wife is a nurse or he wouldn''t be here today. He got treated early and has been cancer free ever since.

I beleive if you get diagnosed early and get treatment early the outlook is really good.

There is always hope, don''t give up and keep praying.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear you are going through this.

My mother passed away from pancreatic cancer a little more than five years ago. When she was diagnosed, they gave her six months. She lasted a year and a half with intensive chemo and then surgery. It is a horrible disease.

The only advice I have for you is to stop reading the internet about it. There are no good things to read -- it''s all horrible statistics. I suggest you go to a support group and keep as positive an attitude as possible.

As sick as my mother was, her attitute was so good that no one believed she would die, inluding... ESPECIALLY... herself until maybe a week before it happened. She really lived her life for the time she had left.

Again, I''m sorry to hear about your pain. Please page me if you ever want to talk about any experiences or emotions...

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I''m so, so sorry to hear about your dad. My dad died from pancreatic cancer almost 12 years ago. All I can say is "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." It was so quick for my dad (3 weeks from diagnosis to death) that I didn''t have time to get out of the denial phase before it was all over. I''ve regretted not just dropping everything and going home ever since. Spend as much time with him as you can.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
VA I am sending healing thoughts and prayers your family''s way...I hope the news is not PC but I know you will find the strength to deal with whatever comes his way, because he''s your dad and you love him.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Vegas. I am so sorry. You must feel like the ground has been pulled out from underneath you. I agree with what someone else said and would suggest avoiding doing research online about PC for now...especially since you haven''t yet received the official diagnosis. Just make sure you go to the doctor''s office armed with lots of questions, and give yourself time to digest while spending lots of quality time with your dad. Cancer is such a hard disease to predict -- some cancers are scarier than others, but staying positive and hopeful can be helpful in many different ways. I hope and pray that your Dad will be one of the success stories. Hugs to you and healing vibes to your Dad!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results