shape
carat
color
clarity

Pancreatic cancer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear this... My best friend''s mother passed away from pancreatic cancer last fall. I wish I had something more encouraging to say... You and your family will be in my prayers.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been thinking about you this week. Any news from the biopsy?

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
My mom was hospitalized for 11 days as they went through all the tests trying to diagnose. It was pins and needles the whole time. I''m hoping for the best and keeping you in prayer. (((((vegas)))))

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been thinking about you too vegas. please give us an update when you can..

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone. Thank you so much for the well wishes & also for sharing your stories you all are so sweet. Im sorry to those who have lost loved ones to an illness & so happy for those who have overcome it. It bothers me so much when people are ill. I am the kind of person that rather it be me than someone else.

Well, the biopsy results came back abnormal, my dad had his surgery Wednesday afternoon & is doing well. They were able to take out the mass; thank god it hadnt spread. I guess now they have to do another biopsy on the tumor to see if in fact there is/was cancer & what stage it is at. After we find that out I believe he will get 6 weeks? of chemo. depending on what they find. I hope what I typed makes sense the whole thing is hard for me to explain properly.

We want our dad around as long as possible. He has one grandchild to see grow up and another one making an entrance in July. My dad prepared himself for the worst outcome. When my brother went in to see him after the surgery my dad asked him good or bad? My brother tells him good, very good. Why does my dad ask him "your not lying are you?" Ha thats probably only funny to me since I know my dads personality & he was groggy when he said it. I will let you know the results of the biopsy :)

Again, thank you all so much for responding. I dont like to post things that are too personal but I couldnt hold it in.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for checking in VegasAngel. I have been thinking of you, your dad and your family. It''s a tough road, but sounds like your dad''s humor is still in check. That''s a good sign. HUGS!!! Lisa

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2007 10:28:19 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Thanks for checking in VegasAngel. I have been thinking of you, your dad and your family. It''s a tough road, but sounds like your dad''s humor is still in check. That''s a good sign. HUGS!!! Lisa
I agree w/Kaleigh

I am saying lots of prayers for you and your family.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
keeping fingers crossed that the news continues to be positive.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi vegasangel, thanks for the update! It does sound like your dad is still in good humor, which is a huge positive, no matter what! I''m sure he has lots of people he knows rooting for him, but he also has lots of people who don''t even know him rooting for his good health here on PS as well! I''m so happy to hear that his surgeous were able to remove the mass and it hadn''t spread...I''ll be checking this thread often to see what the results of the biopsy are and really hoping that it was contained and he can be treated with chemo and get on with his life!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the update vegas. will be keeping you in my prayers...

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
So, just thought I would update my thread. Turns out the growth was cancer
8.gif
but at least they were able to completely remove it. My dad said they didnt tell him what stage it was in but early makes sense. Maybe he knows but doesnt want to tell us. Anyway, he has been walking around trying to move as much as possible. He told me he would do anything for a milk shake & hamburger since he hasnt had any food in a week. Apparently there is some internal leaking of sorts due to the Whipple procedure so I dont think he''ll be eating for a while. As long as dad improves we are happy
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vegas, I''m so glad to hear that the news seems to be positive! And it sounds like your dad is in good spirits. Keep us posted!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 9:07:20 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Vegas, I''m so glad to hear that the news seems to be positive! And it sounds like your dad is in good spirits. Keep us posted!

ditto. that''s very encouraging that they were able to get it....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so happy they were able to catch it early. Will be saying more prayers for his recovery. And hoping he gets that milkshake and burger soon!!!! Thanks for the update!!!!
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vegas, I am glad the news seems good and will pray and send wishes to all of you for his speedy and full recovery!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on the prayers.........sending them your way!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vegas, thanks for the update. It sounds like no matter what the prognosis, your dad is still in good spirits, and that means a lot. I am really hoping and sending good thoughts your way that he will make a full recovery! It can be done!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VegasAngel,

Please tell us how your father is doing. We have not heard about him in a long time and when Luciano Pavarotti died of pancreatic cancer it had to be very frightening to your father and to your family. How is he doing, physically and emotionally? How are you doing?

Deborah
34.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks AGBF

My dad is hanging in there. We really thought he might get lucky since they supposedly got everything out with the Whipple procedure. A few weeks after the surgery they found a spot on his liver. What frustrates me is it took the Dr. 3 months to get him into the hospital to see what they needed to do about this spot. They wound up burning off not one spot but a lot that didnt show on his scans. This time he only spent 2 days in the hospital. Once home my dad progressively started losing his mind-Saying crazy things, not eating etc.. I told his wife & my brother they needed to get him to the hospital. His wife said he refused to go & my brother said he was in contact with the nurse who was telling him it was just the pain meds. & him not eating that was causing problems. My fathers brother went to check on my dad & wound up calling an ambulance. Turned out he got an infection. Thank god an ambulance was called otherwise he probably would have died. So after another stay in the hospital he is home recouperating from the infection. I havent been able to see him because daughter & I are still getting over our colds. I feel terribly guilty for not going over to check on him when all that stuff was going on. At the time I had just accepted a job (Already quit
20.gif
) & was dealing with my daughters crappy daycare arrangements. usually I have nothing going on then boom I''m going crazy.

From what I hear my dad looks terrible- really skinny & his voice sounds different. I''m going to see him Saturday. He is supposed to continue with chemo/radiation once the infections is completely cleared.

I cannot believe how quickly my dads life has been turned upside down. A week before he found out about the cancer he was supposed to go to the Philippines with his wife to check on the progress of their house which was being built. All my dad wanted was to retire- live in a nice house near the ocean, & build a church. He worked all his life only to get cancer & one that is pretty much a death sentence. There are no guarantees in life though, right.? Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst cancers ever. Hardly any money is spent to research it. There has to be a way to detect it sooner. Once the symptoms show up-your''e already too late. Another thing that is freaking me out is that I read colon cancer (Which my dad''s brother had) & Malignant Melanoma (Which I had) is in some way connected to pancreatic cancer. I hope I did not pass cancer genes to my daughter
39.gif
Anyway, thanks for reading I needed to get some of that out.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VegasAngel, I am so sorry that things are going so poorly for your father now. I can only hope that once the infection(s) is(are) cleared up that the cancer is found to be manageable. I do not know as much as you do about pancreatic cancer, although I now know several people who have had it. I guess one could say that I am on a learning curve and that I am becoming more familiar with it.

As I said the last time we discussed your father's illness, I have seen someone totally cured from the disease. I would guess she was treated for it around 20 years ago and it has never recurred. I can only assume that it (the cancer) will receive more and more attention and become less and less hideous over time.

Ovarian cancer is still a dreadful cancer to have, but even it has become slightly less hideous. My friend, who was given one year to live, just celebrated her 80th birthday, having made it through 8 years since her diagnosis with ovarian cancer. In the meantime she has travelled down the Danube on a barge and to Russia; played bridge; attended concerts; volunteered at the library; and enjoyed her children and grandchildren. It is a miracle, even though it is not as good as what we want: a CURE!!!! (She keeps telling her doctor that he said if she could last for two years they would have a cure and that she did her part!)

I will have to go back and see if I told all these stories earlier in the thread. I am getting to the age where one does, I am afraid. (Repeats oneself, that is!)

At any rate, please keep posting here. We care and you should have a place to talk!

BTW, it is terribly unfair that just when your father was about to have some very simple pleasures in retirement, that this got him. It isn't right.

Major hugs,
Deb
34.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I know someone who was diagnosed 2 years ago and is going strong! He looks well, is traveling and enjoying life. I hope this is your dad''s case too. So sorry to hear this.
8.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Vegas: Prayers to you. My aunt is sick and my dad is worried she might have this....she''s been through so many tests...nothing, and withering away, very sick since february.

Hang in there...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vegas Angel,
My prayers are outgoing. I am so sorry about your dad. I am thinking about you and your family.
12.gif

I hope you feel better soon too.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Thinking about you this Saturday. Hope your visit was a good one!

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF- Congrats! to your friend for 8 healthy years, that really is wonderful. Am I reading right the first person had pancreatic cancer 20 years ago & is still going strong? If so that is really amazing & is just what I need to see/hear. Cancer no matter what kind is awful & I hope we find a cure.

IG 2 years is fantastic as well! Another reason why I need to be more positive.

Diver- Oh no, I hope your aunt doesnt have PC. Does she have symptoms like jaundice, rapid weight loss? I''m sorry that she is ill.
7.gif

Thank you Skippy & Justjulia.
9.gif

I did go & see my dad Saturday. He walks different & his voice is hoarse. His skin is really yellow/pale & he lost A LOT of weight. I really want to ask him questions about his condition, but I am too afraid. He doesnt like to talk about whats going on, really. More than anything I think he is terrified of his wife being alone. I guess overall he is just OK at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results