shape
carat
color
clarity

Pancreatic cancer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you dealt with it? What helped, what didn''t. I will pass this info onto Hubby, his friend was just diagnosed. We are devasated.
I know it''s a grim diagnosis. Thanks, Lisa

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Lisa, I''m so sorry. My grandmother had pancreatic cancer, and she died a month after her diagnosis. That was almost 15 years ago, though, and there have been some advances since then. It is still a very bad diagnosis, but not always the nearly instant death sentence it once was.

I''m afraid I don''t have any helpful information to share, but my thoughts are with you all. It''s so hard.

lydia

Rough_Rock
I''m so sorry to hear this. Prayers to your friend.
My FIL had whipple surgery in 2000 - he is still going strong today. We''re very blessed.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 11:13:40 PM
Author: lydia
I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers to your friend.
My FIL had whipple surgery in 2000 - he is still going strong today. We're very blessed.
Can you tell me more about this whipple surgery lydia? His friend is due for surgery, but not sure what kind. My husband goes blank with anything medical. He lost his father when he was 11, blood clot to the lung, instant, no warning.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 11:12:59 PM
Author: Clio
Lisa, I''m so sorry. My grandmother had pancreatic cancer, and she died a month after her diagnosis. That was almost 15 years ago, though, and there have been some advances since then. It is still a very bad diagnosis, but not always the nearly instant death sentence it once was.

I''m afraid I don''t have any helpful information to share, but my thoughts are with you all. It''s so hard.
Clio,
I am so sorry. Thanks for responding. I bet you miss her a lot. Your response means a lot, it is hard, you know that first hand.
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweetheart, I will be keeping your friend in my thoughts and prayers.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kaleigh,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the diagnosis, how awfully distressing for you, your husband, and your friend and families. It must be a tough time.

We perform, sadly I suppose, a number of Whipple's a year in the hospital theatres where I work. The les common term is a pancreatoduodenectomy, and as the name suggests they remove the head of the pancreas, part of the stomach and small bowel, part of the bile duct and usually the gallbladder (which as I'm sure you may know people do function well without their gallbladder). The take part of the bowel because that particular area shares the same blood supply as the head of the pancreas, so they can't just separate the two. They reconstruct the area so that the stomach can still process food, take in bile etc. There's no question that it is long and major surgery, but as Clio made reference to, there has been alot of advancement of the procedure over the years and surgical techniques have been refined alot in the last decade, to the point where some skilled surgeons are performing them using keyhole surgery.

I hope that isn't info overload, and rather than just stating facts I SO wish I had more reassuring words for you, your hubby and friend and families. I have nursed a number of Whipple's patients, though, and hear about so many that come back for routine reviews, always looking better and stronger. You'll all be in my thoughts. If it's not too much to ask, do keep us updated on his progress. xoxo

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry, I lost my godfather to pancreatic cancer many years ago and four friends and colleagues in the last couple of years.

The prognosis as I''m sure you know is pretty dire. None of five above lived more than 6 months (and two of them were senior public figures who were receiving the best treatment out there with no expense spared).

It all really depends how early it''s detected - sadly by the time symptoms are obvious it''s often too late.

Best of luck with the surgery.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh praying for your friend,his family and you and yours. hugs dear friend.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
((((((((((Lisa)))))))))))

FI's mom had a whole slew of medical problems (heart transplant, heart disease, diabetes, kidney failure/dialysis), but Pancreatic cancer was really the one that took her life. She died after one chemo treatment.

I'm so sorry to hear that news. Thats just heartbreaking. I wish I had some advice or suggestions.
7.gif

roppongi

Shiny_Rock
Lisa....

Hugs to you and your husband....I am so sorry that you are going through this.

My DH was diagnosed with acute chronic pancreatitis five years ago; two years ago he went through a transplant. The transplant although successful has resulted in chronic pain that we cannot even imagine. He is easily in the ER once or twice a month, he has to get biopsies and ERCPs every six months to see if he has any cancerous tissue.

I hope that your friend seeks the best medical advice and goes for at least two consultations. We liked the doctors at the Mayo Clinic but ultimately went with UCSF, please let me know if there is anything that I can do as far as research.

Roppongi

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear this. I am sending lots of dust and prayers to your husband''s friend, as well as to you and your dear hubby. Also, sending a great big hug.

Love, Linda
xoxoxoxoxox

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lisa, you know my uncle passed away from pancreatic cancer 2 years ago. he was only 43. I think it really depends where the cancer is located whether or not there is even a chance of survival. Unfortunately, it''s an evil, vicious disease. I''m so sorry
7.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
you have probably already done this but on the small chance you have not i suggest googling judge ruth bader ginsberg cancer. i read a couple accounts dated 2/16 that gave a pretty good picture of her surgery. a couple of other high profile pancreatic cancer patients were mentioned as well. hth.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any information to share, but I know this is a very serious diagnosis and I just wanted to say that my heart goes out to your friend and his family. They must be devastated but it is important to be informed and stay as optimistic as possible.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 3:24:41 PM
Author: Sundial
I don''t have any information to share, but I know this is a very serious diagnosis and I just wanted to say that my heart goes out to your friend and his family. They must be devastated but it is important to be informed and stay as optimistic as possible.
Ditto...very sorry, Lisa.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh - I''m so terribly sorry to hear about your hubby''s friend, what a dreadful diagnosis.

I am sure he really appreciates the support you are both able to offer him at this difficult time.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 8:14:32 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Kaleigh - I''m so terribly sorry to hear about your hubby''s friend, what a dreadful diagnosis.

I am sure he really appreciates the support you are both able to offer him at this difficult time.
HI:

Ditto.

kind regards--Sharon

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have never delt with it but I have seen it. As other's have said above. It is very serious. Do you know if they are doing what is called a Whipple procedure?

From my brief experiences with it I would say don't be afraid of pain control and watch for infection. I am sorry to hear that your husband's friend is having to go through this.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 11:30:49 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 2/16/2009 11:13:40 PM

I''m so sorry to hear this. Prayers to your friend.

My FIL had whipple surgery in 2000 - he is still going strong today. We''re very blessed.
Can you tell me more about this whipple surgery lydia? His friend is due for surgery, but not sure what kind. My husband goes blank with anything medical. He lost his father when he was 11, blood clot to the lung, instant, no warning.

Here is a good description in lay terms (of course I am not a good judge of that). Whipple

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You gals are so amazing!! Thanks for each response. As you can imagine, this hit us like a ton of bricks. He''s still going through testing. I am not sure if they are planning to do the Whipple or not, but will know more tomorrow. I can tell you, that he''s getting the best care possible. Many thanks.
5.gif
Lisa

lydia

Rough_Rock
Kaleigh,
DandiAndi answered this better than I could have. The surgery is very extensive and the recovery is a long process. We were blessed with the success of a surgery that doesn''t always have a good outcome. That said - I pray for your friend and his family and hope that he to has a successful outcome.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 9:46:15 PM
Kaleigh,
DandiAndi answered this better than I could have. The surgery is very extensive and the recovery is a long process. We were blessed with the success of a surgery that doesn''t always have a good outcome. That said - I pray for your friend and his family and hope that he to has a successful outcome.
Thanks lydia.
1.gif

DandiAndi,
Your response was most helpful. Many thanks.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
It''s so sad how this touches so many lives. I''m so sorry for your husband''s friend.
My daughter''s roommate''s mother passed away from this awful cancer.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I wish I had some information for you. I can only offer a ((hug)) to you and your DH. My grandmother was diagnosed with it before she passed away. It was not why she died, but, CT scans revealed she had it. Treating it wasn''t in the realm of possibilites for her. I will keep your hubby''s friend in my thoughts.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 11:54:38 PM
Author: bebe
It's so sad how this touches so many lives. I'm so sorry for your husband's friend.
My daughter's roommate's mother passed away from this awful cancer.
Yes nothing good about this news. I am sorry about your Daughter's roommate.
8.gif

Thanks Miranda. I am sorry about your grandma. I remember her passing, you had a relationship with her as I did with my Nanny. We were so blessed....
2.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Very sorry to hear this Kaleigh...
7.gif

FI''s family friend was diagnosed late last year. He''s doing a round of chemo now but it''s not looking good. Although he''s only in his mid-to-late fifties, I think doctors discovered the cancer a bit late. We''re hoping for a miracle but with pancreatic cancer the outcome is often not great.

Wishing your friend the best outcome possible. (((hugs)))

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Hugs to you Kal......I''ve dealt with this with a friends husband. Its been hard to know what to say or do......Just trying to be supportive and have open ears for them.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh sorry, sending well wishes. My dad had PC. Lots of support is the best thing you can give. pancan.org was a helpful source for me.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 8:12:31 PM
Author: VegasAngel
Oh sorry, sending well wishes. My dad had PC. Lots of support is the best thing you can give. pancan.org was a helpful source for me.
I am so sorry about your Dad, VegasAngel. We will check out this link. We are still waiting to hear the final decision. I know it will be a tough road ahead.

Thanks everyone!!!!
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results