shape
carat
color
clarity

Pancreatic cancer

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Kaleigh... I am so sorry you''re going through this.

I work on a Surgical ICU floor, and take care of a lot of whipple patients. It''s a tough surgery, painful recovery, but it extends the quality of life greatly.
If a whipple is an option, do a google search on Dr. Charles Yeo. He has a reputation for being the best in the area. I believe you''re in the Philly, area, right? (I am, too).

Lots of *HUGS* to you and your family.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 8:44:08 PM
Author: Lynnie

I work on a Surgical ICU floor, and take care of a lot of whipple patients. It''s a tough surgery, painful recovery, but it extends the quality of life greatly.
If a whipple is an option, do a google search on Dr. Charles Yeo. He has a reputation for being the best in the area. I believe you''re in the Philly, area, right? (I am, too).

Yes we are. Thanks Lynnie, will pass this on. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this.
1.gif

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 8:45:56 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 2/18/2009 8:44:08 PM

Yes we are. Thanks Lynnie, will pass this on. I really appreciate you taking the time to post this.
1.gif
No prob, Kaleigh.
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
A dear family friend was diagnosed and passed away less than 3 months later
7.gif

He was the choir teacher at our local high school. He taught my mother, my father, both of my brothers, and passed away the year before I got there. It was terribly sad.

The only upside is that it was relatively quick, really. Some diseases you can hold on seemingly forever, which is wonderful for spending more time with the person, but so difficult to go through or watch someone go through.

That''s not a very encouraging post, I''m sorry
7.gif
My thoughts are with your friend and his family.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry Kaleigh. Many hugs to you--thinking of your friend...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 9:11:44 PM
Author: musey
A dear family friend was diagnosed and passed away less than 3 months later
7.gif

He was the choir teacher at our local high school. He taught my mother, my father, both of my brothers, and passed away the year before I got there. It was terribly sad.

The only upside is that it was relatively quick, really. Some diseases you can hold on seemingly forever, which is wonderful for spending more time with the person, but so difficult to go through or watch someone go through.

That''s not a very encouraging post, I''m sorry
7.gif
My thoughts are with your friend and his family.
Thanks Musey. I appreciate you telling us of your experience. It''s helping Hubby a lot. If it''s quick, that would be best, rather than a long dragged out struggle full of pain. I lost a very dear friend to cancer and helped him through it all. I wouldn''t wish that on anyone.
But all the answers aren''t in yet, so we wait another day to see what is what.

Many thanks to all that have replied.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Lisa- so, so sorry to hear! Pancreatic cancer is certainly a tough diagnosis.

And I will strongly second Lynnie''s suggestion of Dr. Yeo (pronounced Yo). He''s at Jefferson. And not only is he the man to go to in Philadelphia, he is the man PERIOD. I believe he has done more Whipples than any other surgeon, ever. He is fabulous and Jeff does a great job at getting these patients up and moving asap after this difficult surgery. If someone in my family had pancreatic cancer, I would not hesitate to have them travel to see him! My thoughts to you and your hubby, and hubby''s friend. Please keep us updated.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 4:04:37 PM
Author: icekid
Lisa- so, so sorry to hear! Pancreatic cancer is certainly a tough diagnosis.

And I will strongly second Lynnie''s suggestion of Dr. Yeo (pronounced Yo). He''s at Jefferson. And not only is he the man to go to in Philadelphia, he is the man PERIOD. I believe he has done more Whipples than any other surgeon, ever. He is fabulous and Jeff does a great job at getting these patients up and moving asap after this difficult surgery. If someone in my family had pancreatic cancer, I would not hesitate to have them travel to see him! My thoughts to you and your hubby, and hubby''s friend. Please keep us updated.
Thanks icekid. I gave this to Hubby once Lynnie suggested him. Sounds like He''s our man, lucky that he''s at Jeff. That''s where our friend is. I don''t have any updates yet. Hubby is swamped at work. But will update later tonight. Thanks so much for taking the time to post what you know about Dr. Yeo.

Hope all is well with you. Lisa

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Any updates yet, Kaleigh?

About Yeo... yes, people do come from all over the country to have him be their surgeon. And he has done more whipples than anyone else. And he IS the man, like IceKid said. I''m glad your friend''s at Jeff. They have AWESOME staff there (I''m not meaning to be tootin my own horn here, either!)
His poor interns are deathly afraid of him, too. It''s good for the patients, though... he is hard-core about gettin people up and movin right away, he has this "pathway" his patients must follow. He''s very strict about bloodwork being done and corrected daily. I wish more surgeons were like him... sure, it''s not fun for the patients to be out of bed the very next day, drains and all, but it really is best for them, and this has been proven through Yeo''s track record.

I hope your friend''s in good spirits. My prayers are still with you
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 8:09:34 AM
Any updates yet, Kaleigh?

About Yeo... yes, people do come from all over the country to have him be their surgeon. And he has done more whipples than anyone else. And he IS the man, like IceKid said. I''m glad your friend''s at Jeff. They have AWESOME staff there (I''m not meaning to be tootin my own horn here, either!)
His poor interns are deathly afraid of him, too. It''s good for the patients, though... he is hard-core about gettin people up and movin right away, he has this ''pathway'' his patients must follow. He''s very strict about bloodwork being done and corrected daily. I wish more surgeons were like him... sure, it''s not fun for the patients to be out of bed the very next day, drains and all, but it really is best for them, and this has been proven through Yeo''s track record.

I hope your friend''s in good spirits. My prayers are still with you
1.gif
Hi Lynnie,
He has met with Dr. Yeo. But he''s not a candidate for the surgery. AND he has spots on his liver. I don''t know if he will go through chemo. At this point, if it were me, I''d try to be as pain free and enjoy what time I had left with my family. But he hasn''t decided that yet. He''s in a great deal of pain. He''s home with his family. So am afraid this is going to be a very sad ending.

THanks for asking Lynnie. I really appreciate it. I had held out hope....

If anything changes I will update the thread. Thanks everyone!!!!
5.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry the news is not more hopeful! Being home, staying as comfortable as possible, visiting with family & friends ... that''s what would be important to me as well. My grandmother passed away from liver cancer very quickly -- less that three months from diagnosis. It was a blur ... I think it may have been as little as seven weeks. We CHERISHED that time with her and she was quite alert until the few days. Then she was just sleeping more & more. Wishing for the very best for your family friend & his family & you all.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry about the grim diagnosis for your friend.

My prayers are for your family and his.

(((((BIG HUGS)))))

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 6:13:08 PM
Author: decodelighted
Sorry the news is not more hopeful! Being home, staying as comfortable as possible, visiting with family & friends ... that''s what would be important to me as well. My grandmother passed away from liver cancer very quickly -- less that three months from diagnosis. It was a blur ... I think it may have been as little as seven weeks. We CHERISHED that time with her and she was quite alert until the few days. Then she was just sleeping more & more. Wishing for the very best for your family friend & his family & you all.
Thanks Deco. I am sorry about your grandmother. I lost a dear friend to kidney cancer, it was very quick. I am glad you had your special time with her. I really hope he gets hopsice and takes time to be with family and friends. I worked with Hospice taking care of my friend, it was a god send really.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 6:26:29 PM
Author: isaku5
I''m so sorry about the grim diagnosis for your friend.

My prayers are for your family and his.

(((((BIG HUGS)))))
Thanks Isabel.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 5:48:40 PM
Hi Lynnie,
He has met with Dr. Yeo. But he''s not a candidate for the surgery. AND he has spots on his liver. I don''t know if he will go through chemo. At this point, if it were me, I''d try to be as pain free and enjoy what time I had left with my family. But he hasn''t decided that yet. He''s in a great deal of pain. He''s home with his family. So am afraid this is going to be a very sad ending.

5.gif
Lisa,

Sorry to hear that he is not a surgical candidate. The terrible thing about pancreatic cancer is that it is not typically found early enough! It sounds like he has a great team on board, who can hopefully make the tough decisions coming up. I''d personally want some quality comfortable time with my family as well. Take care of you and hubby; I''m thinking of you!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Kaleigh, I''m so sorry. I can''t imagine what this must be like for you, your DH, his friend and all the families concerned. Thinking of you all. xoxo

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Jeez, Kaleigh. I am so sorry to hear the news. Cancer is an awful beast. Hugs to you and continued prayers to your family.

FI''s aunt has esophageal cancer that''s gone to her liver and lungs. FMIL (her sis) is holding out hope that she can make it to the wedding. I don''t know, though... she''s in pretty bad shape. It''s so painful to watch a loved one go through such a terrible thing.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry about the diagnosis.
39.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 9:07:29 PM

Date: 2/22/2009 5:48:40 PM
Hi Lynnie,

5.gif
Lisa,

Sorry to hear that he is not a surgical candidate. The terrible thing about pancreatic cancer is that it is not typically found early enough! It sounds like he has a great team on board, who can hopefully make the tough decisions coming up. I''d personally want some quality comfortable time with my family as well. Take care of you and hubby; I''m thinking of you!
Thanks sweetie. He''s going to do the chemo. We are behind him all the way. I don''t think it will help much, but who knows...
Thanks to all.
That''s all for now. We are bracing for a rough road. We are so sad. But it is what it is. We will be with him every step of the way.
12.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 7:52:29 PM
Thanks sweetie. He''s going to do the chemo. We are behind him all the way. I don''t think it will help much, but who knows...
Thanks to all.
That''s all for now. We are bracing for a rough road. We are so sad. But it is what it is. We will be with him every step of the way.
12.gif
Lisa,
He is lucky to you and your husband with him! Having so much support helps immensely! I hope the chemo is able to make him more comfortable and get him some extra time as well.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
15.gif

Sorry to hear this Kaleigh.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I hope the chemo helps. Even if it buys him a little more time with his loved ones. There''s so much they can do now to make chemo more comfortable and reduce the side effects. I''ll be keeping you all in my thoughts.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Sending prayers..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 8:46:56 PM

Date: 2/24/2009 7:52:29 PM
Thanks to all.
12.gif
Lisa,
He is lucky to you and your husband with him! Having so much support helps immensely! I hope the chemo is able to make him more comfortable and get him some extra time as well.
I hope so too. Thanks for you kind words. Today they said less than 6 months.
12.gif
39.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2009 7:20:39 AM
Author: DandiAndi
Oh Kaleigh, I''m so sorry. I can''t imagine what this must be like for you, your DH, his friend and all the families concerned. Thinking of you all. xoxo
Thanks. My husband is having a hard time, it''s going to be a huge loss.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 9:24:32 PM
Author: coatimundi
I''m so sorry Kaleigh. Many hugs to you--thinking of your friend...
Thanks sweetie.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
And thanks, Bia, VagasAngel, Miranda and Sarah. Your words of imean a lot, as do your prayers.

I will be gone for a while, hubby and I are taking a well deserved vacay. I will have internet so wil update as needed.

Thanks again, Lisa
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results