shape
carat
color
clarity

Palm Tree help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe gardeners here can provide advice.

There is a palm tree on my yard that needs help! Initially, I had planned to pull the plant out, but my husband thinks it can be saved.

The yard is set up on an irrigation system which hadn''t been used in years due to needing repair. My husband fixed it and now we''re regularily watering everything, but I''m not sure IF the problem was due to the palm not being watered or due to disease.

Today I cut all the dead fonds off, but even with those gone, the remaining ones have dried tips and on the top of the plant remains only dead cut-off stalks.

Is there any way to save this?

Here''s the what''s left. . .

palmful.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a close up of what all the remaining leaves look like. . .

spalmleaf.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the top of the plant. It had tons of dead fonds that I just cut off with pruners.

palmtop.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
did you see the problem with this palm before the irrigation was fixed? Could you be watering more frequent than it needs to be - over watering? sometimes you only need to water them twice a month (slow drip for hours) depending on your climate.

ETA: if you're over watering it, then essentially drowning out the roots so it could also turn brown, so maybe let it dry out a bit, but I don't know about the disease part of the plant either.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
We have a couple of palms that do this too so I''m interested in your responses! I live in a cooler, wetter climate and my palms turn brown on the tips every winter. A gardener once told my to cut off the brown parts? I have one palm that browned in the middle on the new fronds too. I actually think mine is dead, but I''m leaving it in the ground to see if it''ll come back in the warmer, drier summer weather. We had a brutal winter this year so the cold and wet could have killed it. Did you have an especially cold or wet winter?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like overwatering. Palms tend to brown on the tips when they receive too much water. Stop watering and give it quite a bit of time to heal. Remember all of it''s foliage is damaged, so it will take time for the new growth to appear.

I live in an extremely hot climate, we deep water our trees once a month. You should do this for the palm too. Let it dry out first. Roots need air as much as they need water.

One other thing, if your soil is heavy clay, it is retaining the water very well and causing the roots to rot. So, even more reason to water infrequently.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results