shape
carat
color
clarity

Palladium & Platinum in Grandma''s rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PortlandKelly

Rough_Rock
I was given my Grandmother''s rings when she passed away. They have been sitting in my safe deposit box for ages and I think it''s time I use the center diamond for a new project!
31.gif
Rings are from the early 1940''s and they deserve a photo shoot before I use that center diamond. SI1, I color, .53 carat. One of the rings is made from platinum and the other is from palladium. See if you can tell which one is which.
26.gif

pk1.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Those rings are beautiful!!! I''m going to guess that the ering is platinum and the wband is palladium. I see more of a patina on the ering.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
those are so pretty and special!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
it''s almost a shame to scrap the settings, they are so pretty and unique. I almost think the ering would look killer with a great sapphire!

PortlandKelly

Rough_Rock
Hope I did okay with the photos. This is the first time I''ve photographed diamonds. Boy is it difficult to get a good shot!!

pk5.JPG

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I love that set! Sooo pretty!

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 8:00:11 PM
Author: ckrickett
it''s almost a shame to scrap the settings, they are so pretty and unique. I almost think the ering would look killer with a great sapphire!
I agree with ckrickett, those settings are one-of-a kind...good suggestion to replace the center stone!

Kat

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, it is so beautiful! What a treasure!
30.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I love it!!! What a beautiful and sentimental wedding set.
36.gif

I have a soft spot for palladium.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I really like your grandmother's wedding set, but then again, I really loooove antique rings.
30.gif

Would it be any trouble for you to post profile pictures of the e-ring and wedding band?

Have you thought of what style setting you will place the diamond in?

As others have stated, I hope that you consider setting a colored stone into your g-mother's set, as it is too pretty to stay empty. The regulars in the colored stones area can help with that. I ended up setting my great grandmother's e-ring (1930's) with a nice aquamarine, which I love. My mom has the original diamond, which was set into a pendant. We did this so she could be reminded of her grandmother and I loved the setting so much, it only made sense for me to wear it as a RHR. Ok, threadjack over!!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Why not leave it as is? You can use it as an alternate to your current set? It''s spectacular.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 8:27:44 PM
Author: got2goldens
I agree with ckrickett, those settings are one-of-a kind...good suggestion to replace the center stone!

Kat
Please don''t scrap the setting!
39.gif
It is so so so beautiful.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a lovely antique set! How sweet that they''re your grandmother''s!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful set...thanks for sharing!

PortlandKelly

Rough_Rock

Date: 2/25/2009 10:23:25 PM
Author: omieluv
Would it be any trouble for you to post profile pictures of the e-ring and wedding band?

Here''s a profile view of the e-ring. It''s not too fancy from this view, but there are 2 petal shapes cut out right below the center diamond that are kinda in the shadows.

pk6.JPG

PortlandKelly

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input!
1.gif
Replacing the center stone with something else is a WONDERFUL idea!!! I''m still really torn about removing the center diamond. I was thinking about putting it in a pendant or earrings, which I would wear more. Agh! Decisions, decisions.

Thank you for letting me share!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 10:50:06 PM
Author: musey

Kat

39.gif

Ditto, those settings are beautiful I think they just look perfect the way they are.

Kat
39.gif
Agreed!!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
It''s so pretty! Please save the setting, and at least put another stone in there. Those pieces from family are such treasures!

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock

Kat

39.gif
Yup... the setting is so great! Love the sapphire idea! You could make your Grandmother''s diamond into a fabulous bezeled pendant.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 10:49:42 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Why not leave it as is? You can use it as an alternate to your current set? It''s spectacular.
I agree I think it''s a gorgeous set

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Those are awesome!!!! I love the original ering setting - I must echo all the others that have said keep it! Put something else in there at the very least.
5.gif

krockie

Shiny_Rock
One more request to save the setting! I think the set is lovely, and I think its a great idea to replace the center stone with a colored stone if you''d like the diamond for something else. And, I am proud to say I guessed right on the palladium (my set is palladium, so it was a prideful challenge for me!)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would definitely save those settings and polish them up. You would be amazed how new they will look afterwards. A yummy blue sapphire would look stunning!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 6:34:39 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I would definitely save those settings and polish them up. You would be amazed how new they will look afterwards. A yummy blue sapphire would look stunning!
Ditto.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous set!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results