shape
carat
color
clarity

Palladium allergy??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
Is it possible to be allergic to palladium? I have a platinum channel-set band and a palladium comfort-fit band that I wear together on my right hand. I''ve had the plat band for 2 years, and wear it almost 24/7. I''ve been wearing the pall band with it for about 9 months, but all of a sudden started having trouble with it about 2 months ago. I''ve been getting a rash around my finger anytime I wear those rings together for more than a few days. It comes up really fast- it will start to itch a little and then two hours later it''s a pretty bad rash. It goes away after not wearing those rings/wearing different rings for a few days. I don''t wear them in the shower/cooking/cleaning. They aren''t tight (very loose actually), and they''re both very comfortable; it''s just weird that this started happening all of a sudden a few months ago, especially when palladium and platinum are supposed to be hypoallergenic?? Has anyone else had this problem, and is there anything I can do about it? I clean them daily, just with a toothbrush and water, so they don''t have any dirt on them that could be irritating my skin. I''ve never been allergic to any metal- I don''t usually wear white gold since I wear through the rhodium really fast, but I can wear 10K/14K/18K white gold and silver rings and cheap "mystery metal" earrings with no allergy problems. I also wear my platinum ering and wedding band 24/7 on my left hand with no problem at all. Thanks in advance! :)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is possible to develop an allergy to palladium. Yes, it can be something that takes time to develop. Palladium is not considered hypo-allergenic, although I believe it has a lower chance of causing allergic reactions. Metals can be tricky for some people, sorry. To be positive, you can get an allergy check done by your doctor or dermatologist.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had this same reaction to palladium myself...the itching is intense and unbearable! I can''t wear it either...I don''t have any other metal allergies and usually wear white gold and sterling silver... But I have noticed that any kind of soaps that are ''antibacterial'' also cause a rash under my rings, it''s not the same reaction as the palladium reaction causes, but I avoid any kind of antibacterial soaps...it has helped a lot.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Geez thanks for the alert on this. I had no idea.

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. :) I really thought I was going crazy, since everything I''ve read says palladium is supposed to be allergy-free... I did find a few medical articles about people being allergic to pall in fillings in their teeth, but not much on jewelry. The good news is I emailed the jeweler I got it from about it, and he probably thinks I''m nuts but said I could upgrade to platinum for a lot less than I thought it would be, even though I bought the ring from him almost nine months ago.
36.gif
I got the ring from weddingringhotline.com. Talk about fabulous customer service!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results