shape
carat
color
clarity

Pairing engagement ring with wedding band question.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
So, today I went looking at wedding bands, the idea in my head has been a full eternity, not sure the cut of diamonds just yet. I originally thought because my ER flares out larger towards the diamond, the wedding band wouldn't sit flush, which is what I want.

Today I realized it wouldn't be an issue, what the issue actually is, where the diamond sits, from the side profile angle, you can see the "V" protrudes further out than the band, which causes most wedding bands I tried on to sit with a gap. The only option that really eliminates this was a super thin wedding band, which isn't what I prefer. I don't know if there is a solution to this, I hope the photos demonstrate what I'm talking about, I will post them in the post below.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Profile shot

_1438.png

_5865.jpeg

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, congrats on your engagement and it's a beautiful ring!! A spacer between both rings would probably be a good option for you. You wouldn't want to wear a large eternity band right next to your e-ring bc the diamonds in the eternity will start eating into those prongs (I know bc it happened to me when I had my original u-prong wedding band!). I'd also suggest trying on bead set and channel set wedding bands. :wavey:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will need a band with smooth sides and/or the girdle of the stones covered. That is what chews up rings (also prongs that stick out).
It will happen with your setting. If you love how it looks now you will need to protect it. I have a spacer with mine but I really love just two rings. If your fingers are a bit long- you could go with a channel band like this. I love this one by Brian Gavin that was made with a wider band ring similar to yours. It is a very clean look and very classic.

4882_briangavin_fulleternitybandandtruthcathedral_stephaniec3_0.jpg

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Are you open to a band that is not straight across? If so, something like this would help with the flush-fitting issue, and protects your engagement ring from the girdles of the wedding band stones:

http://m.tiffany.com/jewelry/rings/tiffany-harmony-bead-set-diamond-ring-GRP06716?fromGrid=1&gridpos=8/0&fromcid=-1&search_params=s+5-p+1-c+-r+-x+-n+36-ri+-ni+1-lr+0-hr+-1-t+Harmony&search=1&trackpdp=search&trackgridpos=1#p+1-n+36-cg+viewPaged-c+-s+5-r+-t+Harmony-ri+-ni+1-x+-pu+-f+-lr+0-hr+

I have actually come to like the look of a small gap, and wish my engagement ring were lower set!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
This is quite interesting! I suppose you could turn it into my palm should I wear it alone. Have you seen this band with a ring like mine? Is it easily detectable that's it's not straight?

I'd really love a band that's similar in height and width of my ER. It doesn't have to sit completely flush, but I don't want so much of a gap where it looks wonky or cumbersome. I'll be interested to see the one you attached.

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Go to a Tiffany and try them all on! You don't have to buy there, but they have a ton of well made bands, and it will give you a good sense of what style you like best.

I don't know all the specs, but I think the harmony will be similar in width to your ring. Because it tapers on both sides, rather than being curved, I think it looks very pretty worn alone, too!

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I tried on something similar today, they didn't have that one you posted, and I didn't love the other. What I noticed/realized today is that I don't mind a small gap, it's more that I prefer the band to match in height and width, or at least be very close. I tried some on that I didn't necessarily like, but if it sat well with my ER, I didn't mind it, if that makes sense. So I think when I thought I want them to sit together without a gap, that was incorrect, it's more that they need to sit similar in height and width.

I think another issue I may find is that because my setting is a bit sharper, squareish, pairing it with an overly rounded looking eternity will throw of the aesthetic, some looked great, but when the diamonds got bigger, it didn't, so I wonder if that's because they showed more roundness... It's so confusing lol.

I'll be eager to find an asscher or emerald cut, maybe the more square/rectangular stones will compliment better.

Edit- added photo. See how the setting is kind of sharp/ flat, I think that's why some eternities don't compliment, and the smaller the diamond, the less roundness it shows, therefor not throwing off aesthetic? That's my guess.

_1443.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results