shape
carat
color
clarity

painting or digging

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cougarrx

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knew the total impact on a diamond that has been painted or dug. Is it really important to get one that is NOT painted or dug? Can a diamond with thin-med girdle be painted or dug (is there enough space to be)? Is the diamond in the picture below painted or dug? I have read about this from previous posts and online, but still can't find the answers I am seeking. Thanks in advance!

idscp5325.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings cougar,

Date: 2/26/2009 8:37:25 PM
Author:cougarrx
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone knew the total impact on a diamond that has been painted or dug. Is it really important to get one that is NOT painted or dug?
The total impact on the diamond results in an notable darkness that occurs around the perimeter of the diamond. It detracts from the optics and can in some instances reduce the perceived diameter. In the GIA & AGS'' cut grading system both will take hits though each system has different tolerances for what will and will not make their top grade.

Can a diamond with thin-med girdle be painted or dug (is there enough space to be)?
Yes it can.

Is the diamond in the picture below painted or dug? I have read about this from previous posts and online, but still can''t find the answers I am seeking. Thanks in advance!
That''s because red reflector images can vary from photographer to photographer. The pic you show may be in some regions but not entirely. To what degree would be impossible to tell from this picture.

All the best,

cougarrx

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot Rhino.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Cougarrx,

Painting and digging to a diamond rated as "excellent" or "ideal" is like toenail polish on a supermodel. It''s interesting conversation for some, but usually has very little to do with the big picture. Find something you like, make sure it''s been properly represented, then take the plunge.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Jim,

I like your toenail-polish-reference, but let me refine it slightly.

Let us agree that painting and/or digging on a diamond is like nail polish on a girl. Not only toenail-polish, since it is basically visible in all circumstances, and not on a supermodel, since not every diamond is a supermodel.

Now, there are indeed many circumstances in which the nail polish has very little effect to the overall looks of a girl.

But in some cases, the right nail polish will make you notice her, and will make your heart beat faster.

And we also know the cases where the nail polish may ruin the picture completely, and all we think is EEEEKKKK.

In the case of supermodels however, I am convinced that the nail polish is very carefully chosen and needs to be perfectly matching to the dress, the eye-shadow and every other detail. Otherwise, the real connoiseurs would be all over this.

Of course, as a man, nail polish is unknown territory for me. Maybe, the ladies on this forum may chime in. In this subject, they are the cutters and they know why they choose for a specific color and quality of nail polish. We men are at best the consumers, who do not always understand which detail we react to.The smart ladies however do know.

Live long,

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paul, A+ post.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 3:23:54 AM
Author: JulieN
Paul, A+ post.
Bravo Paul!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Paul,

We agree more than we disagree.

Painting and digging is discernible and important to some, but simply has no bearing to most.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Exactly Jim, that is why I refined your analogy, and never said that I disagreed.

Just like most guys in the street will tell you that the nailpolish of a lady will have no effect on them, most ladies will know how to use it in order to make her look and feel better.

In the same way, you may not mind about the shoes and socks that you are wearing, but you can bet that most ladies will pay attention to that detail of your outfit.

Live long,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 8:22:29 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Exactly Jim, that is why I refined your analogy, and never said that I disagreed.

Just like most guys in the street will tell you that the nailpolish of a lady will have no effect on them, most ladies will know how to use it in order to make her look and feel better.

In the same way, you may not mind about the shoes and socks that you are wearing, but you can bet that most ladies will pay attention to that detail of your outfit.

Live long,
They do indeed!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 8:31:50 AM
Author: Lorelei

Live long,
They do indeed!
Too true!!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 8:41:27 AM
Author: Phoenix

Date: 2/27/2009 8:31:50 AM
Author: Lorelei

Live long,
They do indeed!
Too true!!
9.gif
Hehehe! Shoes are the first thing I look at!
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Using super-model terms I would call it more like painted she is wearing slacks and no-painting she is wearing a skirt.
With the slacks you get to the ground coverage and with the skirt you get more flash :}

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Live long,
36.gif

I''ll just add, I''ve seen Ideal cut diamonds I will not touch with a 10 foot pole. I understand the analogy and hear you as it would apply in many instances but certainly not all. As you Paul, I have set my own personal threshold''s in painting/digging as to what I will and will not stock.

Peace,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results