shape
carat
color
clarity

Painite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't it a small world?

Pala Gems writes about it Painite Comes to Pala

"in May of 2005 I was told about an area in which contact between carbonate rock and a leucogranite appeared to form painites. I kept in close contact with my partner Han Htun and in August I was told to come view the painites located in two mines about ten miles west of Mogok. The first has been named the Wet Loo mine and the second is Thurein-Taung. I met with the group of geologists, gemologists (FGA), collectors, and dealers that visit me when I come to Yangon, now consisting of about 15 individuals. These are savvy and wonderful people and know as much as anyone else involved with gemstones; anyone who thinks they don’t have access to world information is sadly misinformed. (I say this based on nearly 150 trips to the Far East and over 40 to the African continent in search, among other travels, for gems and minerals.)
This particular meeting with the group was great because, between all of them, they had almost two kilos of material! Crystals, fragments, some cutting rough material, and a few (four) cut gems all less than one carat except one."

And this, they say, was the happy end of a two decade long fruitless search for a gem previously known from just one sample. 'Two kilos' of rough sounds pretty impressive in that context!

This below, does not come from Pala gems. My jaw dropped rather deep seeing the listing sitting innocently on Ebay from a trusted source. Pretty cool... for this gem freak. I wouldn't have been looking for it otherwise - there may have been a couple of these crystals around that escaped Bill Larson's interest, but surely not many.

These things are too rare to be expensive.

Here's the relevant screen shot:

painite.JPG

mogok

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

There were quite a lot of crystals that escaped Bill Larson''s interest as you will be able to see on the study I I just put on line on AIGS laboratory website. To be more exact I''ve to say that Bill Larson has created among Burmese dealers a very strong interest for painite. As a result they really pushed the things and find other pockets around the first one. Other stones came to the market and it is then possible these days to get some lower quality meterial without too many problems if you know the right persons: I got on my table few days ago around 700 of such small pieces.
Fine quality rough to be cut is still very very rare as well a fine crystals and despite the present appearence of abundance, painite is still a challenge to get and if you want a beautiful one, then you will have to go for a hard search!

You can access to my complete painite study from the following page:

AIGS lab web page

All the best,

americanthai

Rough_Rock
Thank you Ana and Vincent,

While the new find of Painite is producing quite a bit of rough, the clean stones with even a slightly open color remain elusive. I am producing as many good stones as I can, and certifying them at AIGS with Vinent''s expertise. Many Thanks, Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results