shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha sapphire engagement gem - Help!

abbiegaille

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm really glad I stumbled upon this forum while doing some research on padparadscha sapphires. Everyone here seems so helpful and I decided to take a plunge and ask for some help.

My fiancé decided to let me pick my engagement ring (yay), and I have been tossing up between getting the more traditional diamond or something a little more unique - the padparadscha. I have been wavering between the two over the last few weeks, because while I am very inclined to get the padparadscha, I am also worried that it isn't as easy to pick (there aren't many!) and there just seems to be less information on it out there.

I found this particular pad from the NSC which is my favourite out of all the pads I have seen so far: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-58158-oval-padparadscha-sapphire-pa2521/

As I am really new to gem buying, I could use some help... What do you all think of this particular padparadscha? Are there any others that you would recommend over it?

I would prefer my pad to be unheated and from Sri Lanka (so that it fits within the conservative definition of a pad). I have a budget of about $20-$25k (although less is always good too!).

I also have a question regarding the GIA report on sapphires - GIA's website says that they don't grade sapphires but provide an opinion. What's the difference? Will an insurance company accept that opinion report? Anyone have experience with getting a non-diamond insured? What is the process?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe that the range of colouration for what can be classified as padparadscha has expanded and the origin does not have to be only from Sri Lanka anymore. All labs only provide an opinion of the colouration, treatment, etc. which is sufficient for an insurance company. However, since you are spending a significant amount of money, you might be better served with a full AGL report, which also lists the cut and colour quality, which holds the insurance company to provide at least the same quality. The GIA report is so brief that an insurance company is sure to only replace with the bare minimum, which says nothing about the fineness of the padparadscha or lackof.

The NSC sapphire has a very beautiful soft colouration but is unfortunately plagued by a very horrible cut. There is a huge window where the middle is not only dead (no sparkle) but see-through so that you will see your finger underneath.

abbiegaille

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, wouldn't most round or oval brilliant cuts have some sort of window on them no matter what gem it is?

Is there a way to er... close the window? I guess the setting could easily cover my finger so you can't see all the way below....

Also, how would I go about getting a full AGL report? Is this something I can ask NSC to obtain or would I have to submit the gem to AGL after buying it?

Thanks for your help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, a well cut stone will not show a window whatsoever. It will show a tilt window when viewed at an angle but if well cut, again, this tilt window will be minimal. Given the size of the window, you will probably need a plate underneath the stone but that also means that it will be very difficult to clean the pavilion once it is completely enclosed. The window will not be gone, just less obvious, because instead of seeing your finger, you are now seeing the metal setting. Doing so, however, does not improve the light performance of the middle of the sapphire, so it will still look dead.

You can ask NSC to submit the stone to AGL. NSC is typically overpriced so don't be afraid to make an offer.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Hi abbiegaille

You shared your budget. What other criteria do you have (shape, size). Do you have a type of setting in mind? We mAy be able to suggest alternate stones for your consideration

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may be too vivid for you, but seems to fit a fair amount of your criteria,

Agl prestige report stating Sri Lankan pad, and within your budget range. Heated though- but nice size. Leaves you enough for a very nice setting.

http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

picsart_02-11-12.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1455210335|3989770 said:

Agl prestige report stating Sri Lankan pad, and within your budget range. Heated though- but nice size. Leaves you enough for a very nice setting.

ahhhh that is such a gorgeous gem! LOVE!

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I was going to post that Finewater stone, but Niel beat me to it! I would love to see more pictures of that one.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1455210335|3989770 said:

Love that stone!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1455225542|3989845 said:
ragiff|1455208870|3989767 said:

although I think this ring is lovely, I don't believe it was given the padparadscha designation by AGL.

Dave Atlas's report indicates that AGL said it was a Padparadscha orange pink sapphire. But the report from AGL is not linked in Grace's website as far as I can tell. Look on her photo hosting site and you can see Dave's report.

abbiegaille

Rough_Rock
Sungura|1455208677|3989766 said:
Hi abbiegaille

You shared your budget. What other criteria do you have (shape, size). Do you have a type of setting in mind? We mAy be able to suggest alternate stones for your consideration

Thanks for the 2 suggestions so far! Out of the 2, I prefer the JewelsbyGrace pad. I found the finewater pad lovely but too vivid for me, and I couldn't really see much orange in either of the 2 stones.

I don't have a particular setting in mind yet. I didn't want to limit myself too much as is already hard enough to find a good unheated pad. I am hoping just to be able to find a good gem and then figure out how best to set it later. (I would be open to suggestions on this front too.)

As for carat size, not too small, I think 2 carat and above so that I can admire the colours better. :dance:

abbiegaille

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1455245320|3989976 said:
How about this one? Unfortunately it's heated, but the color is amazing IMHO.
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-468-padparadscha-sapphire-cushion-portuguese-cut-4-01cts

Here's another option, unheated. The color is lighter and there is a small window, but hopefully it would close once set
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-452-padparadscha-sapphire-cushion-4-08-cts

Wow, they are both beautiful! I love the first one - what a pity it is heated. :|

The colour of the second one is lovely, but is it just me or are the facets really big (less shine)?

abbiegaille

Rough_Rock

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
caf|1455229145|3989866 said:
pinkjewel|1455225542|3989845 said:
ragiff|1455208870|3989767 said:

although I think this ring is lovely, I don't believe it was given the padparadscha designation by AGL.

Dave Atlas's report indicates that AGL said it was a Padparadscha orange pink sapphire. But the report from AGL is not linked in Grace's website as far as I can tell. Look on her photo hosting site and you can see Dave's report.

Yes- I see that now. =)
I wonder why there is no photo of the AGL report. And it would really help if the photos and video were not in that pink box!! Can't really see what that gem looks like without all the pink reflection. :rolleyes:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
abbiegaille|1455246545|3989984 said:
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-pink-468-padparadscha-sapphire-cushion-portuguese-cut-4-01cts

Here's another option, unheated. The color is lighter and there is a small window, but hopefully it would close once set

Wow, they are both beautiful! I love the first one - what a pity it is heated. :|

The colour of the second one is lovely, but is it just me or are the facets really big (less shine)?

May I ask why heated is such a concern?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1455282241|3990109 said:
abbiegaille|1455246545|3989984 said:

May I ask why heated is such a concern?

I just logged on to ask the same thing. I totally respect your preferences, but to me heated is OK as long as the vendor discloses it and the stone is priced accordingly. To me the first stone is incredible and if you love the color and can afford it I'd go for it :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

abbiegaille

Rough_Rock
Because I feel that a heated sapphire not as valuable or rare, and being an engagement ring, I would ideally want to get something that is a real collector's item/heirloom worthy (also since it's probably the one time I would be allowed to splurge on such a grand scale on a ring).

I know finding a beautiful unheated padparadscha is like finding a needle in a haystack, but that is what will make the engagement ring all the more special to me. I like challenges. :wall:

Sorry, I know I'm being really particular, but these are just my thoughts.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results