shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha or Ruby?

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I mean a Ruby is a sapphire just with a primary color of red...so an orange pink ruby would just be a weird way to phrase that IMO.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's saturated enough to consider it ruby. Funny though, I just told a new friend how I love her ruby and she went "it's actually an orange sapphire".

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies cost more so it is a subtle way of pricing it I assume. Either way, I'd pass on it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would look for an orangy pink spinel. There's a lot of those and they're not treated, and more affordable than sapphires or rubies the same color.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had no intention of purchasing it (I'm waiting to get a big, perfect, saturated, unheated padparadscha and am willing to pay $$$ for it) I'm just confused and amazed by the jargon and marketing approaches some different vendors take.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1310843640|2970439 said:
I would look for an orangy pink spinel. There's a lot of those and they're not treated, and more affordable than sapphires or rubies the same color.

TL, do you see them without modifiers? If you come across any that are over 2 cts and saturated, could you point them out to me? I have not really considered "padparadscha spinels" as so often spinels look dull or grey to me. TIA!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1310844102|2970448 said:

TL, do you see them without modifiers? If you come across any that are over 2 cts and saturated, could you point them out to me? I have not really considered "padparadscha spinels" as so often spinels look dull or grey to me. TIA!

99% of padparadscha sapphires look dull or grey to me too, so why not spend much less $$$ to get the same look. The fact of the matter is that padparadscha sapphires are not supposed to be highly saturated (per LMHC consortium guidelines), so get a spinel. Same look, much cheaper.

If you want higher saturation, I would look for a straight pink spinel or sapphire. Orangy pink stones just don't do it for me either, as I have not seen any that knock my socks off in any gem species. There are probably nice ones that exist, but I haven't seen any.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes that's neither a Ruby or a Padparadscha. It's a orangey-browney-reddish sapphire.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LovingDiamonds|1310851516|2970517 said:
To my eyes that's neither a Ruby or a Padparadscha. It's a orangey-browney-reddish sapphire.

Yup, I agree about the brown and thanks for confirming its a sapphire :bigsmile:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1310844391|2970451 said:

99% of padparadscha sapphires look dull or grey to me too, so why not spend much less $$$ to get the same look. The fact of the matter is that padparadscha sapphires are not supposed to be highly saturated (per LMHC consortium guidelines), so get a spinel. Same look, much cheaper.

If you want higher saturation, I would look for a straight pink spinel or sapphire. Orangy pink stones just don't do it for me either, as I have not seen any that knock my socks off in any gem species. There are probably nice ones that exist, but I haven't seen any.

I think this is a really pretty (if less saturated) Spinel I just got yesterday from Tan, less than a Benjamin ( :shock: )
I'm satisfied that it is pinky orange (and sometimes, pinky purple!) and I really like it !!!

Sorry for the threadjack.....
Carry on !!!!

7-16-11-Coolpix 026 (Large).JPG

7-16-11-Coolpix 024 (Large).JPG

7-16-11-Coolpix 023 (Large).JPG

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It's not a pad, and I think it's not close enough to red to be ruby, as said above.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooo~Shiney!|1310855621|2970546 said:
TL|1310844391|2970451 said:

I think this is a really pretty (if less saturated) Spinel I just got yesterday from Tan, less than a Benjamin ( :shock: )
I'm satisfied that it is pinky orange (and sometimes, pinky purple!) and I really like it !!!

Sorry for the threadjack.....
Carry on !!!!

Nice stone, but I would call that more of a pink than an orangy pink. There's a little bit of orange, but it's way more pink than orange. That's why I think the OP should look for spinels that are more of a pure pink.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1310868244|2970634 said:
Nice stone, but I would call that more of a pink than an orangy pink. There's a little bit of orange, but it's way more pink than orange. That's why I think the OP should look for spinels that are more of a pure pink.

I have a few like that, around 1 - 2 ct each, but they're pink, not the orangey pink or pinky orange of a pad. Pink is just not my thing.

But ooh-Shiney, I'm happy you love your new spinel :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results