shape
carat
color
clarity

padparadscha color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Newest rock in my collection. What is it?

4749gar.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnet?
Maybe imperial topaz?

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Try picture again, with warmer adjustment. That first one had a hint of purple, not quite right.

47491gar.jpg

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh, I can''t fool you. Marketed as Imperial garnet, from Lindi, Tanzania (new area for garnets). Lindi is near the coast, Indian Ocean, just north of Mozambique border. The name imperial is taken from pink-orange topaz, only available to the Russian Czar''s family, and mined in Russia.

Technically, it is pyrope spessartine, sub group Malaya, 1.75 cts. It is one of the most pastel of my pastel garnet collection, with brilliance that would blow away most diamonds. It is so bright that instead of my black background, I used medium gray instead. Even so, the gray went nearly black to record its brilliance.

I have a calibrated eyeball for refractive index in pastel garnets, since I have so many. I estimated the R.I.=1.750. Then I measured it: R.I.=1.751

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Pretty! Do you have anymore shots of this stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool stuff, Zeolite. I''ve heard of this imperial garnet too, which is why I guessed it.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Here are two more tries. I can''t get the lighting right. I''m going to have to make a new, special diffuser. I think this garnet is quite beautiful. It will become one of my favorites, even though it is small.

verthorizgar.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Mr Z, lovely, lovely stone.

I have a question for you. What is your preferred method of purchasing, via internet, or in person? Obviously, I''m not asking you to reveal your sources, I just wonder how you do it.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting more pics. It''s a beautiful color!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, that is beautiful! What an amazing color!
30.gif

I also thought it was an Imperial Topaz.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Define small. Your small is probably my big.
9.gif

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:01:29 PM
Author: Gailey

I have a question for you. What is your preferred method of purchasing, via internet, or in person? Obviously, I''m not asking you to reveal your sources, I just wonder how you do it.
I tried buying on the internet, and found the hue and saturation of the pictures to be so inaccurate, that buying that way was useless. It does help if the internet company has a good return policy, but even then, registered or insured mail gets expensive. Especially if you are as picky as I am.

I buy exclusively in person, once a year, at the Tucson Gem shows, where I can see tens of thousands of gems side by side, and can compare prices, without running up shipping charges. The many gems I have shown here on PS, have been collected over a 25 year period. It is not a collection you could assemble in one year, even with unlimited cash.

Also, in reality there are too many sellers in the one month Tucson period, so it is really a buyers market. Tucson doesn''t help most Pricescope people, who want to buy throughout the year, instead of once per year.

I discovered early in my buying that most colored stones are poorly cut, so I located about 6 top cutters, and at first had them recut my gems. Most good cutters don''t like and will not take recutting jobs, since they make more money selling their own cut gems. So I spent much time in their booths getting acquainted with the appearance of the finest cutting, and I bought many of their gems.

Then I bought my cutting machine. For about 20 years now, I buy mainly rough, with much of it put away (stored) to be cut later.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that''s a really nice stone! Your collection is awsome Mr. Z!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooo, very pretty. Love the color!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2009 10:54:57 PM
Author: zeolite

Date: 4/8/2009 10:01:29 PM
Author: Gailey

I tried buying on the internet, and found the hue and saturation of the pictures to be so inaccurate, that buying that way was useless. It does help if the internet company has a good return policy, but even then, registered or insured mail gets expensive. Especially if you are as picky as I am.

I buy exclusively in person, once a year, at the Tucson Gem shows, where I can see tens of thousands of gems side by side, and can compare prices, without running up shipping charges. The many gems I have shown here on PS, have been collected over a 25 year period. It is not a collection you could assemble in one year, even with unlimited cash.

Also, in reality there are too many sellers in the one month Tucson period, so it is really a buyers market. Tucson doesn''t help most Pricescope people, who want to buy throughout the year, instead of once per year.

I discovered early in my buying that most colored stones are poorly cut, so I located about 6 top cutters, and at first had them recut my gems. Most good cutters don''t like and will not take recutting jobs, since they make more money selling their own cut gems. So I spent much time in their booths getting acquainted with the appearance of the finest cutting, and I bought many of their gems.

Then I bought my cutting machine. For about 20 years now, I buy mainly rough, with much of it put away (stored) to be cut later.
Maybe I''m getting quite good at the old guessing game, I guessed this one! Did you cut this one Mr Z? Have you thought about putting all your stones in the gallery here?

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

Define small. Your small is probably my big.

I’d prefer above two carats. However size is relative. I have 8 yellow grossulars and the largest is 3.76 cts. I have 5 tsavorites and 3 green grossulars and the largest is 3.04 cts. But I select by hue, saturation, tone and cut. Size is near the lowest consideration.

Your collection is awsome Mr. Z!

Thank you Mr. ma re

Did you cut this one Mr Z?

Yes

Have you thought about putting all your stones in the gallery here?

I didn’t know it existed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results