shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha color Spinel?

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just got this stone and am mezmerized by the color - it seems to me a true padparadscha, though I know that term has a lot of debate. Was just reading this article on the term by Richard Hughes:
http://www.lotusgemology.com/index.php/library/articles/132-ownership-of-words-an-essay-on-padparadscha-sapphire

Anyway, has anyone seen this color in spinel before?

Sorry for my poor photos. Haven't learned how to use my iphone camera for closeups yet. The first pic on my hand is indirect daylight, the second pic is showing other pink stones (all tourmalines) for comparison. It's about 8x6mm in size.

img_10683.jpg

img_10684.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I've seen spinels with this colouration.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it seems to be a lovely color and in my experience is more common in spinel (and so much cheaper!) than in sapphire. :))

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thanks Chrono and Minousbijoux for answering my rather lame question! I guess I was just excited about it and being a dork! :twirl:

And yes, I feel it was a steal compared to the same color in sapphire. I paid $200, and its a 7.93mm x 6.14mm, 1.83ct, untreated Burma spinel.

Here's a pic that shows some of the pink-orange color range. It also goes to a deeper orange-pink at some angles.

img_10686.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So great when that happens - $200 is a good price for an almost 2 ct spinel. It will be fun to see what you do with it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great color! I love it, and agree it does look "pad-like" with a much lower price tag! Excited to see how you set it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results