shape
carat
color
clarity

Pad from NSC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
My boyfriend and I are looking for a coloured stone to set into an ering (yay!). I had decided I wanted alexandrite or blue spinel when I fell in love with this charmer. We''ve put a deposit on it, which is why it''s listed as sold, but we''re both a little nervous about this purchase. I know people here have had good experiences with the Natural Sapphire Company. They''re pretty reputable, right?

The stone is advertised as unheated, and it''s a good colour. Why is it so affordable? Is it because it''s not from Sri Lanka?

Should we get it appraised, or ask for a 3rd party certificate, or is it not worth it for a small stone, especially if we love it?

I''d be interested in hearing any opinions about the stone, it''s price, the NSC, pads in general... you know. Anything you''ve got would be great.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess the price is less because the cut isn''t all that great. I can see the poor pavilion cutting from the table view (1st pic on the left). This is more apparent in the middle picture where you can see that the girdle is skewed and one side of the pavilion is cut at a different angle than the other side of the pavilion. There is also a small window in the stone but it could be negligible once the pad is set.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you said that. I asked about the cut, but Steven told me that it was well cut, so I thought I was just crazy.

I think he was talking about the facets on the table, while I was talking about the angle of the pavilion.

Do you think the angles will be noticeable/a problem in a bezel or semi bezel setting?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, you aren''t crazy.
1.gif
I think Steven was talking about the table and you are talking about the pavilion too. Unfortunately, I have no idea if the wierd pavilion angles will be noticeable or a problem in a bezel or semi-bezel setting.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ask Steven about setting it bezel, he will know.

I may be wrong and probably am when I say this. Experts, please chime in and correct me.

I think Sri Lanka stones are more expensive then Madagascar.

The stone, is a gorgeous, gorgeous color. I am addicted to Padparadschas myself.

Linda
9.gif

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Linda, I was hoping to hear from you. It was in part your numerous posts about NSC and your experiences with them that made me feel comfortable even getting this far.

It is a gorgeous colour, isn''t it?
21.gif
I''m irrationally taken with it. I just hope I''ll be able to have it set! I''d look pretty silly with a loose stone crazy-glued to my ring finger...

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you having it set by them???? I can''t wait to see it set. You will stare at that stone for hours. HA!!! I love looking at mine in different lighting.

Linda

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Probably not. I''d like to see the stone in the flesh before we commit to it, so we''ll probably get it sent to Chicago, and take it to a jeweler we know here to work out a setting. Then my bf will hide it from me until he''s had his fill of teasing me!

THEN I''ll get to see it. And of course I''ll post pictures. It''s the least I can do, after all the fun I''ve had staring at other people''s eye candy. I have to say, I may develop a serious coloured stone habit. Not ideal for a graduate student!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sure it will be beautiful. Wait until you see it in person, your eyes will pop!!

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results