shape
carat
color
clarity

Packrat's yard 2016

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, how marvelous!! I've been living in a condo since my divorce 15 years ago, and I'm generally content with it. But there are times, especially in the evening, when I miss having a yard. So now I'll pull up your pics to serve as my virtual oasis. You have worked magic with your keen eye, abundance of knowledge and great aesthetic sense, and lots of hard work!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packie, I am always just amazed at the difference all of your time and effort has made in the appearance of your yard/garden. Unlike some of your neighbors, I find it so inspiring! Whenever my neighbors do any improvements garden or landscape-wise, I love it. It makes me feel happier walking or driving through the neighborhood seeing people take pride in the appearance of their home. A lot of people I have talked to with less positive attitudes about gardening (the ones who say they have a black thumb, or they kill every plant they try to grow) simply don't know what they're doing and don't care to learn. That's too bad for them--don't feel like you're bragging or doing anything wrong by making your own personal paradise. You have a gift that you should feel proud to show the world. Eff the haters! :lol:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh you guys, thank you! :oops:

Next year one of the things we're going to do it take the sod off and seed it to itty bitty clover. We tried to do it a different way and just toss out clover seed and let it take over, but it's not working as well/fast as we'd hoped. I still want to expand that far side of the fence so that might be the time to do it since there won't be time to do it this year. I like when the clover we do have, blooms, so I'm looking forward to not having grass and it just being clover.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your negative neighbors suck rotten eggs! :silenced:

Man, most of my neighbors are in their mid 80s. They've been doing some good work in their yards, and it's been so inspiring. We often walk laps in our community together and ogle our neighbors' beautiful flowers. There's a group of us that love to show off a new plant we purchased, or a new plant we've planted or a new flower that bloomed. It's really cute - "come look, come look at this!" And lots of excited hand gestures :lol: if they can garden in their 80sm I have no excuse to not try in my 30s!

charleston1

Shiny_Rock
Packrat, your yard is beyond gorgeous. I remember the photos of your parent's yard and you certainly do them proud.
I love seeing the before and after photos, such an inspiration.

Did you do the paving stones yourself or hire it out?

In the middle of the backyard is it a fire pit?

What size is your lot?

I am sorry for the all the questions! :wavey:

P.S. The darker colour siding of your house looks fantastic.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh packrat your yards are beautiful!! What a transformation from the beginning and they keep getting better every year!!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat, your yard is spectacular!
You certainly have a green thumb.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful, creative and fun! If I were your neighbor I'd give you a kind complement. =)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
charleston1|1466952560|4048506 said:
Packrat, your yard is beyond gorgeous. I remember the photos of your parent's yard and you certainly do them proud.
I love seeing the before and after photos, such an inspiration.

Did you do the paving stones yourself or hire it out?

In the middle of the backyard is it a fire pit?

What size is your lot?

I am sorry for the all the questions! :wavey:

P.S. The darker colour siding of your house looks fantastic.

Thanks everyone! :wavey:

charleston, ask away, I don't mind! We've done everything here ourselves. My parents have helped now and again, like when I have an idea and JD's not on board, we get their thoughts and they help us to see things we hadn't thought of or they help us come up w/something entirely different. Dad helped w/putting the initial beds in after we bought the house, the ones directly around the perimeter and what was the center tub bed up front, and the beds around the trees in the back. The only thing we've hired out is siding the house and putting the new windows in.

Yep, that big stone deal in the back patio brick is a new fire pit JD put in this year. He used a tractor tire rim. There was a hosta bed in that spot, and the plan *was* to redo it, in the shape of the Star Trek insignia, and then put all the Star Trek related hostas in it...but he wanted this fire pit so bad...I still plan to get some ST hostas, I just won't get my insignia bed.

The total lot size is 56x152, so 8512 sq ft. Not overly large, and there's not a lot of room on the sides of the house, so close to the neighbors on all sides.

Thanks about the siding!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results