shape
carat
color
clarity

Package Deals

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
This has been on my mind and I noticed a good number of gemstone vendors only sell to designers so this must come up. What are your thoughts on package deals?

I saw a gorgeous stone on IG and inquired about it but it was sold. The vendor did say they would have a consumer based web page coming soon. A bit later they reached out and offered to connect me to the designer who purchased the stone. I figured why not. She was lovely and very accommodating, she told me she had a design in mind to set it and I would have first dibs.
But, two issues.
One , I had never seen the stone in person and had no idea if I would love the color or not. Once set it wouldn't be impossible to return it.
Two, her aesthetic is lovely but it doesn't quite mesh with my collection.

That and I had no idea what the cost of the stone was, only the whole ring so it is hard to gauge the value.

Have you ever bought an entire ring because you liked the stone? Or thought you'd like it?

I'm torn because I'm a people pleaser and she has been so lovely and offered me a discount on the price so I feel guilty. On the other hand I am not sure I love the stone enough to go in blind. And I have other projects that would have to wait if I spent on this.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm.
i think too many “maybes” for comfort.
You arent 100% sure the Stone was right.
You don’t feel the resulting ring will be 100% to your taste
You aren’t sure of the price being commensurate with value.
You will have to postpone other projects to proceed with this purchase.
maybe you could express your interest to the Designer but state clearly that until you have seen the finished ring and enough photos / videos to make a judgement call you can’t commit to purchase.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only purchased an entire ring from a vendor, however, I had a specific setting in mind, and the ring was made to that design.

It was early on in my jewellery/CS journey in 2006/7 and I have fallen out with that vendor over something else with another ring.

I have done it again since.

Reading the original post, I would hesitate to buy the stone and finished ring due to the risks involved, compounded by the feeling of not being in control.

Personal opinion and all that.

DK :))

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you ever bought an entire ring because you liked the stone? Or thought you'd like it?

Yes, I have. I think this is how the rest of the world (the non-PS world) buys their rings. There can be better values because the custom work is so expensive yet often doesn't add much to the value of the ring at resale. But even the best sellers of antique/vintage/estate jewelry online don't provide much subjective information so it's really hard to tell a just-OK stone from a killer one.

voce

Ideal_Rock

Yes. This is how I picked out my engagement ring. Turns out, it was an excellent value.

There's other times where I bought the entire ring from CRD and Enhoerning, because even though I hadn't seen the rings in person, it was safe because they both have great return policies. That said, by the time I was buying entire rings after my engagement rings without doing custom work, I already had a good idea of what the stones in the rings were worth, and I don't think I was paying higher than market value or what I considered to be US fair prices.

In your situation, I'd be more concerned about the lack of a return option more so than getting an exact "breakdown" of what the vendors are charging for the stone and the bench work.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all.

Yes, I have. I think this is how the rest of the world (the non-PS world) buys their rings. There can be better values because the custom work is so expensive yet often doesn't add much to the value of the ring at resale. But even the best sellers of antique/vintage/estate jewelry online don't provide much subjective information so it's really hard to tell a just-OK stone from a killer one.

I absolutely agree that this is the norm, sorry I should I been more specific. I guess what I was getting at was if you were specifically shopping for a stone and the stone was loose. PS is a different world, I don't think the rest of the world has as many (or any) little boxes of loose stones stored away for the next project.

@voce agree 100% about CRD, I have never had a stone from her that didn't look better in hand and I appreciate the descriptions and per ct pricing info.

I need to pass on this I know in my gut. I have a setting idea in my head for a specific colored stone and don't need to collect a bunch of close-but-not-quite.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Once have I done this. I loved the stone and the vendor would only sell it to me if I bought the entire ring in the design she had “envisaged”. I ended up paying twice what it’s work for a crappy setting I don’t really like and more import duty than I needed to given she put the wrong value on the delivery invoice. It’s a stunning stone and I hate it every time I look at it and will do until I can get it reset. Turns my stomach that I wasted so much money. Never again. Stones only unless I’ve tried on the piece in person.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the price seem fair to you, would you wear it despite not being your typical aesthetic and most importantly doe she offer a good return policy in writing? Those are the questions I would ask.

Outside of CRD, most of my "new" completed pieces were purchased in person. Yvonne is the exception because over time she has come to know my aesthetic and vice versa. It's not uncommon for her to have a stone I love and for me to just tell her "you know what I like - just design something" because I can't be bothered (she does check in with me along through the process for input).

There are completed preloved pieces that I've bought primarily for the stone and pieces that I've bought for the setting./design. I am probably unlike a lot of PSers as my pieces do not have to be perfect so much as something I would wear. It's not uncommon for me to have stones I love set in preloved settings that aren't ideal for the sake of enjoying them as opposed to sitting in gem boxes.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Once have I done this. I loved the stone and the vendor would only sell it to me if I bought the entire ring in the design she had “envisaged”. I ended up paying twice what it’s work for a crappy setting I don’t really like and more import duty than I needed to given she put the wrong value on the delivery invoice. It’s a stunning stone and I hate it every time I look at it and will do until I can get it reset. Turns my stomach that I wasted so much money. Never again. Stones only unless I’ve tried on the piece in person.

This is exactly what I am afraid of. There are no returns on custom pieces.

voce

Ideal_Rock

Pfft, the customer has the right to put the stone in the design the customer envisages, if there is to be no returns on custom work. When I pay for custom, it is I the customer who must have final creative control!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pfft, the customer has the right to put the stone in the design the customer envisages, if there is to be no returns on custom work. When I pay for custom, it is I the customer who must have final creative control!

+1

How is it custom if she insists on her pre-envisioned design? The only reason I would see for this is so that it is something she could sell in her shop if you declined/returned.

You are getting "first dibs" on something that she already has planned. As such, you are entitled to the same return policy as any other customer imo.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results