shape
carat
color
clarity

Oxblood coral -- am I nuts?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe don't answer the second part. My favorite B&M jeweler who retired a couple years ago is still trying to part with some old stuff. I swung by to look at something else and he showed me this Edwardian oxblood coral ring. I am not a huge coral fan, especially the oxblood flavor -- but it certainly has a following. The environmental aspect makes me a little queasy but it's not quite like buying a mink and, hey, that was over 100 years ago.

These photos make it look heavy but it has the most delicate pierced platinum gallery and an amazing 18K bezel. I just love looking at it from the side. And you can't tell from the side view but it is a "finger-hugger" -- the gallery is radiused so it rides very close to the skin. I did not measure but maybe 10-12mm in the long dimension. No report but I have 100% confidence in the vendor and I'm sure it has been in his inventory long enough to account for most of the provenance. :cool2: No way my wife would wear this (I'm sure she'd call it a hemangioma) but I could see a DD some day...

Any haters? Lovers?

Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 6.43.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 6.43.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 6.44.41 PM.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
the thing is the poor old coral died a long time ago
its not quite as tabo as say ivory
honor it by wearing it (aka buy it if she loves it)
it is spectacular

i had some ugly little vintage coral beads i couldnt bear to throw out
i had them remade into a fun little thing and now i wear them often
that ring is a thousand times nicer than my poor old little beads,
all the prett-a-fying has already been done long ago (when coral was not protected)
its a real statement piece

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this! I would wear it in a heartbeat! Very cool. Unique. Eye catching. LOVE that color and setting. :love:

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man, I absolutely LOVE that setting! I wouldn't be so sure your wife would never wear it, because I could see myself saying something like that...and then....before you know it, I'd be wearing it all. the. time. because it is so stunning.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The ring is lovely and I seem to remember you have another in that style--I think with a beautiful sapphire. I had read the oxblood color is the most valuable. I have an angelskin coral necklace that I love. I also have a black coral necklace that someone said appraised for 25,000. In the link, I didn't see black coral mentioned. I bought mine 20yrs ago. I spoke to the man who sold these to me (and many others). He just said, hold on to the black coral,. These were harvested in the 1980's. I'm a fan of coral..

And a fan of mink and fox. So there(as people used say-- so bite me.

Good choice.

Annette

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

The ring is lovely and I seem to remember you have another in that style--I think with a beautiful sapphire. I had read the oxblood color is the most valuable. I have an angelskin coral necklace that I love. I also have a black coral necklace that someone said appraised for 25,000. In the link, I didn't see black coral mentioned. I bought mine 20yrs ago. I spoke to the man who sold these to me (and many others). He just said, hold on to the black coral,. These were harvested in the 1980's. I'm a fan of coral..

And a fan of mink and fox. So there(as people used say-- so bite me.

Good choice.

Annette

I’d love to see photos of your coral, they sound beautiful! Do you have any ideas of origin on the black? I wonder what part of the world it was harvested in, and when!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh y'all are terrible influences with your good taste and astute observations!

It is not the most striking red -- more of a "brick red."

The photos are over-sharpened and make it look like medieval blackened steel whereas it actually looks closer to a dainty antique e-ring 'til you get 'round to the oxblood jellybean.

Maybe I'll go for it! I'd share a link but there is none -- no more store/no more website :cry2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh y'all are terrible influences with your good taste and astute observations!

It is not the most striking red -- more of a "brick red."

The photos are over-sharpened and make it look like medieval blackened steel whereas it actually looks closer to a dainty antique e-ring 'til you get 'round to the oxblood jellybean.

Maybe I'll go for it! I'd share a link but there is none -- no more store/no more website :cry2:

does that mean someone else brought it ? :confused::cry2:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d love to see photos of your coral, they sound beautiful! Do you have any ideas of origin on the black? I wonder what part of the world it was harvested in, and when!

Hi,

The black coral is from either Hawaii or Indonesian waters. My niece has most of my jewelry but as you can see, I still claim ownership. I dont do photos=can't. Back then I also bought a red coral necklace for another niece. It also was nice, but the angel skin coral is the nicest. This has several strands, but smaller beads. The black has a high polish, very shiny. Coral comes in all colors, blue, gold ect.

The ring looks very well made. I watch The Gem, channel. You know I'm a money person. Coral goes for a lot of money on that channel. Oxblood especially. The ring would go for between 2000-3000. If TL reads this she will say that channel is overpriced, but they do sell those overpriced items,

The other nite they had an Oscar Heyman necklace of emeralds and vs diamonds for under 20,000. I shouted at the TV, "Ill take it". That satisfied my desire to own it.

My dear Yisse, I hope all is well with you. You deserve your hearts desire what ever that is.

Alex, I am always a sucker for a daughter and her Dad. I had a wonderful father, who did on occasion spoil me. My mother made mincemeat of that spoiling. Girls usually love their dads. So buy her a present. (I think you have 2( It will get expensive,

Annette

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
would you wear it @LilAlex?? It would look cool imo!

Oh that's a fair question. I could see the right man doing this but I fear that on me it would look less like a sartorial flourish and more like "Maybe his wife left it next to his pills by mistake?!"

Alex, I am always a sucker for a daughter and her Dad. I had a wonderful father, who did on occasion spoil me.

This is good inspiration and I'm glad you have such fond memories!

Ours kids have worked hard to make their own way -- so it is easier to want to do things for them. They live far away but we still vacation together.

Your pricing estimate is accurate based on my poking around. This one is a "good value" at less than half of what he had it priced at (in his zero-discount-ever environment).

Wish you had photos to share of the black coral!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results