shape
carat
color
clarity

overwhelmed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Croí

Shiny_Rock

hello ?

I have been browsing this site for most of the day. I really hope that someone might be able to say ''hey, you''re normal'' in response to my post.

First off, I don''t have a ring yet but I know photos are mandatory so I will post them once I get one. In the meantime, I do have a beautiful ''tree of life'' band {no stone} which I''ll put up a pic of if anyone cares to see.

So here is the question - everyone here seems thrilled and excited and seems to know so much about diamonds and cuts and settings and whatnot. I feel like a complete alien, like a female missing a gene or something. I pretty much gave up years ago on the prospect of getting married and so never got involved in the whole ''rings discussions'' whenever they arose. Now that I find I have this incredible man in my life who DOES want to marry me {whoo-hoo!} excitement and bouncinghappiness has been replaced by an overwhelming feeling of being totally inadequate. I have no idea where to begin to even look at rings or what to ask about or anything. Can someone please tell me I''m normal and please help me to find the ring that will bind our promise to each other.

Sorry this was long-winded, I just feel totally at a loss. If I should be posting somewhere else or if someone has a better forum/location for my kind of enquiry, please let me know.

I''ll SO appreciate any and all feedback.

btw, all your posts are so happy and enthusiastic, congrats to you all !

best

C

33.gif

katbadness

Shiny_Rock

Croi,

You're normal.. and welcome to PS!

Knowledge does not descend from heaven just like that, you have to start somewhere, right??

31.gif

So.. here's what I suggest.. to learn about diamonds, why don't you start at the tutorial.
Or.. go to GoodOldGold's site (the navigation is a little unwieldy, but you'll get the hang of it!). Don't forget the 5th C of diamond buying.. COST!!
To learn about rings, you may have to browse different jewelry sites to find out about your taste and what you like. Some people like ornate designs, some like sleek and minimalist. Go to different jewelry stores to see different diamond shapes, different settings, etc.

Anyway, I hope that gives you a start. Post more questions, we'll help you!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

Croi! i was the same way! Little did my fiance know that once he gave me my first diamond, that he created a monster! I went from not knowing even noticing peoples rings, to being totally obsessed, eyeballing fingers, and gawking. (I''m exagerating!)

But I think a good idea would be to go to the mall NOT TO BUY, but to try on different shapes and styles, and then come back here and ask the pricing questions.

Do you knowwhat shape you like? or do you have any budget set? that''s important too! Then we can help lead you in the right direction!

By the way, I''m not a vendor, just a girl who likes diamonds!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
PS, we would love to see your band!

Croí

Shiny_Rock

I just want to hug the pair of you ! Thanks so MUCH!

I don''t have a lot of details yet except that I know (already, from a day of looking and just a general ''self'' thing) that simple and minimalist is me and one stone. It''s GREAT to know I have allies ! :) thanks ladies ! I seem to be very drawn to the Lucida on Tiffanys site {thank goodness for the net and messenger! a gf in Australia went through their site with me a few days ago so I''d at least start narrowing the playing field} and variations on that style are definitely appealing to me most of all so far. There was one beautiful one on here too but I browsed through so many pages I can''t locate it again. It was a couple from Boston and the ring was by Mark Morrell and it was three prongs - anyway, he had posted lots of pictures and I thought it was stunning.

maybe I''m not in as bad shape as I thought. generally only online during work hours but maybe will take a browse around some stores this weekend and get back to you ladies on Monday.

THANKS again - ye cheered me up no end !

1.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Croi,

Congratulations and welcome to PS! I''m pretty new here too. I''m sure you''ll find that everyone is incredibly nice and helpful. I knew pretty much nothing about diamonds when I got here, and I still don''t post on the "should I get this stone or that stone?" threads because I don''t feel qualified, but I am confident about the diamond my fiance and I chose, thanks to all the stuff we read here. Good luck with your search
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
You are SO not alone. All you have to do is read my original posts about diamonds I thought were EXCELLENT and my more recent posts which cut down those same stones to see that you''re not alone. I was so confused, so at a loss when it came to diamonds I wanted to cry. Every time I thought I''d found a good stone, the people here on PS would cut it down. It was SOOO frustrating!!! But, I was patient, listened to them, read up on the various stones, and before I knew it people were turning to me for advice! And, most importantly, I ended up with a SPECTACULAR stone if I do say so myself. My point is, once you decide on the type of cut the rest sort of falls into place. IMO it''s too hard to read up on all the aspects of diamonds UNTIL you''ve decided if you want a round or fancy, and if a fancy, the specific shape. I chose a princess cut (having first wanted a Lucida but realizing I wanted it to be more square) and therefore focused solely on learning about the specific facets and angles that determine a well cut stone. Had I tried to learn everything I could about all the shapes I would still be reading. There''s just TONS of info out there. So, begin with determining the shape you want, then move on to the other C''s. Good luck!!!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock

Oh Croi!

You are very much NOT alone! I found PriceScope the same way. I''m 36, and never so much as noticed anyone''s e-rings before. Now that we''re thinking about the BIG committment, and I made my first trek to Tiffany''s I''m totally obsessed. (yes...I stare at peoples rings...)

I knew nothing before, just that diamonds were pretty...now I might know a little too much for my own good. Tiffany''s is way out of our price-range...but it was a good start to see what a good stone might look like...and what size I''d like to see on my finger.

My BF regrets the day that he ever said, "we need to find out more about diamonds." I am constantly looking at online vendors and checking out prices for my perfect stone.

Good luck to you, it doesn''t take too much time before you''re hooked!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
No Croi!!! Stop now! Turn back before you get sucked in!!!
9.gif
Just kidding! (kinda... it really is addictive!!)

Seriously, you should feel COMPLETELY normal for feeling overwhelmed at first! But all of this information just soaks in over time, and you''ll feel like an expert in no time! My sister keeps telling me to quit grad school and become a jeweler the way I''ve been spouting off diamond knowledge lately! The people on this forum are incredibly friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable - you have nothing to fear!

1.gif

JCJD

honeynut

Shiny_Rock

Hi Croi! Totally know how you feel - I felt like a fish out of water at the beginning too. You will be surprised how fast you learn though, do visit Good Old Gold and the Pscope tutorial.

Just wanted to say, what I thought I would like did not end up being what I actually fell in love with. I used to adore solitaires, big rocks on simple bands, but then I discovered platinum filigree from the 20's, so I tried on some vintage styles but decided I wanted something that did not potentially have a sad history attached. So, I started looking at Tacori stuff, but the store we visited to try on styles (Robbins Bros) did not have any at that time (maybe they do now, who knows). The salesperson there introduced us to the work of Simon G, an LA-based designer who does gorgeous, detailed contemporary pieces with antique feel. I didn't want high prongs because I was afraid of snagging it as I flail around in excited conversation (I am french, Europeans need their hands to talk! lol) or that I would ding it against the weights at the gym, so I tried on quite a few 'cabochon' shaped concoctions before finally putting on a ring that didn't actually catch my eye at first. Once it was on my hand, though, it just felt perfect, it is EXACTLY what I want and I never would have picked it out had I just seen it online without trying it.

Here is what I decided on:

LP1107.jpg

Here is what I *thought* I wanted, before trying styles on:

LP1491.jpg

That didn't feel right, though, right off the bat. I REALLY thought I was in love with these,

LP1097.jpg

LP1078.jpg

and admittedly, they are pretty darn GORGEOUS. Sigh. I still get a pitter-patter in my heart when I see them

30.gif
... but I know I have made the right decision; just as I know that Karde is The One, I knew my ring was too. They both feel like they belong with me, like they have been with me my whole life, a part of me.

All this to say - go try things on!! You never really know until you do!!

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
The link didn''t work for me, but I think this is the right pic

LP1107.jpg

honeynut

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sciencegeek - had a bit of trouble at first, until I found the mountain button ;-)

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, Croi! Everybody starts out clueless, that''s what this site is here for.

I agree: first decide on your budget, then decide on what shape of stone you like. Once you''ve got those two items, read the tutorial here and the one on GOG''s (GoodOldGold) site.

I might also suggest you check out this thread if you start to get any pre-e angst!
31.gif

I think this is one of the most fun lessons I''ve ever had to learn...I hope you''ll feel the same way!
1.gif

Croí

Shiny_Rock
morning everyone !
you are all amazing and have already turned a daunting experience into something that just might become a lot of fun !

Here is some info. about us - so you all can get a feel for where I am at ! I am Irish and living in Boston. My bf is American. We have been together almost two years and I never thought I could ever feel this way about anyone. *happytiggerbounce*
emotion-19.gif

(A little background - almost all of the ''friends'' I had here went the way of the dodo when I left my ex. (after eleven years) My ex was a jeweler and so, for the longest time, I didn''t want a diamond at all - the whole thought of diamonds just brought him to mind and left a sour taste in my mouth.
emthdown.gif
) This also means I don''t really have people to talk to about this whole exciting/daunting journey to an e-ring ! So glad I found you all !

I finally realised that I was just letting my past intrude on my present and on my future ! Why shouldn''t I have a diamond ring too ?!?
My family love my beau and my best pal thinks he''s the best thing that ever happened to me - and any and all doubts and fears (due to cultural differences, our pretty big age gap etc. etc.) have been washed away in the past twelve months when we got through some tough hurdles and came out the other side still really sure of each other. hoorah for us !!

So here I am.

I went to two shops at the weekend. One didn''t go well, the other did. (more info. I''m in my thirties and still have green streaks in my hair - I guess I don''t come across as a diamond buyer! ) The first shop had the X-prong which I wanted to see in person. It was nice but they didn''t have the setting with a stone in it so it was hard to judge. I didn''t like it as much as I thought I would. The woman showed it to me, barked the price at me and then basically put the tray back and walked away. Took one look at me and dismissed me really. I didn''t even call her on her behaviour, I just left the shop.

I did find out I''m a six and a half. What size stone do you all think works good on a six and a half ?? (and yes, I realise budget is the big factor but just for an idea ?)

From looking online I found I liked the square cuts (lucida, radiant, all of them really) but in the second stop I tried two simple solitaires - one round and one square - and found I really liked the round one best in reality. Learning and learning !

I have to admit that I have decided not to ask how much he is ready and willing to spend. We are both in total agreement that the wedding and getting a downpayment together for a house are priorities over the ring. I want to get married at home, in Ireland, and that is going to put a dent in the finanacial end of things. I want a ring I''ll love - that doesn''t mean it has to be big or overly expensive. Just the fact that it''s coming from him will be enough. I still want it to be nice though and whatever he spends, I want him to get what he''s paying for.

So, I want to get some more ideas from you all.
Thus far, we have established that I like a simple design and I like a round stone. I am a size 6 1/2 .......... suggestions ????

thanks in advance !
(oh, and I loved the photos of your rings honeynut - absolutely stunning ! congrats !!!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results