carat
color
clarity

Overwhelmed looking for a high quality sapphire

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1350471195|3286924 said:
I have to disagree with the professional opinion of the respected lapidary. Head reflection or head shadow is only observable when the stone is veiwed up very close to the face. It is an effect seen in all shaped stones when your head casts a shadow onto the stone. The darkness seen across the middle of emerald cuts are sometimes called a bow-tie, due to a combination of cutting and light play (we discussed this earlier with Richard Hughes' explanation in a previous link). You should not see this effect from an arm's length away, which is why I advised making sure you don't video the stone too close to the camera.

Discussion with various experts and lapidaries on the same topic:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-much-head-reflection-is-acceptable.165443/#post-3014437#p3014437']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-much-head-reflection-is-acceptable.165443/#post-3014437#p3014437[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extinction.154628/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/extinction.154628/[/URL]

Absolutely agree with the above. The half/half is not caused by head shadow and is not a bow tie effect either.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, at this point, I don't even care what causes it, only that the default situation for most stones in those shapes is a bowtie, if not full 1/2 and 1/2 extinction. I also know, as others have commented, that some cutters have managed to avoid this phenomenon. Conclusion: if you know you don't like the 1/2 and 1/2, and you know there are certain stones out there which don't demonstrate it, then keep looking and don't settle! I do feel like we're beating a dead horse when we continue to argue about the cause...

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I think that's an astute comment Minou and that it is up to the individual to decide what amount they find tolerable if any.

sebas

Shiny_Rock
I got #1 back and we just don't like it in person. From the comments here I wanted to like it but in person it just doesn't work. In the showroom it was awesome, but outside the showroom it just doesn't work. The half/half is most severe and the color is not as pretty. It also doesn't do as well in low light conditions. It does sparkle the most, but it basically needs a lot of light for it to reach its full potential. It looks different in video compared to person.

I will go with a different sapphire.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you did that Sebas because you'll never have to think "what if ....." now. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you for your excellent due diligence. Your work will pay off as you are getting more and more experience every time you see new examples.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you went back to take a look, even just to give it a second chance to be on your list or kicked out. You can see the stone's true colour and light performance much better than any camera or video can capture. At this point, I'm inclined to believe you've trained your eyes quite a bit and know what to look for.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
It's good that you have satisfied yourself about this stone. Now you can move forward and having compared those stones and taken on board the comments about them here, you have some IRL experience to judge the next contenders.

sebas

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately I got myself in a bit of a bind. When they brought back sapphire #1 so that I could take a look at it a second time I took it home as I did the first time, except this time they charged my credit card. After returning it 3 days later they said there would most likely be a restocking fee of 3.5%, credit for their store, or some sort of penalty, which really bummed me out because the sapphire was $6000. I was expecting this to be like the last time were I got to took at the sapphire under different lighting conditions and was able to return it no hassle. They knew I was still on the fence and wanted my girlfriend to take a look at it again with me. They never explained to me their return policy. They asked if this was the one and I replied by saying "I think so" but would like my girlfriend to see it. I also offered to leave a check instead of paying via credit card. Plus, my experience with another retail store and online vendors is that there is a full refund if returned within a 14 or 30 day period. I feel like I've taken many missteps in this whole process and kinda bummed that I might now lose a bit of money because of miscommunication.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
After returning it 3 days later they said there would most likely be a restocking fee of 3.5%, credit for their store, or some sort of penalty, which really bummed me out because the sapphire was $6000. I was expecting this to be like the last time were I got to took at the sapphire under different lighting conditions and was able to return it no hassle. They knew I was still on the fence and wanted my girlfriend to take a look at it again with me. They never explained to me their return policy.
Did you explain that the change of "approval" terms was not clarified or the return policy explained and that since you had taken a stone home for approval previously without penalty, you expected the same this time?

So sorry Sebas. It just shows that we can never take any terms for granted.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was there any explanation as to why there is a fee this time when there was none previously?

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
The restocking fee is likely just the credit card transaction fee. The store doesn't get the transaction fee back from the card issuer when they take a return, so they charge the fee to the consumer. It seems like a small price to pay for all the work the store has done for you. But it's always a good idea to ask about the return policy when you buy something you might return.

sebas

Shiny_Rock
I did explain to them that I had done this before and it wasn't a problem and that I did not understand why there would be a fee this time. I also told them that they never explained to me the refund policy. I thought there was an understanding that I needed to look at it with my girlfriend before making a decision. The first time I gave them a check. This time I didn't have my check book in hand, but specifically told them that I could go and get it and even said are you sure it does not matter because there is a processing fee when you swipe the credit card. He said that it does not matter. To me it was quite clear that I was on the fence because I said in emails leading up and afterwards that I needed to see it with my girlfriend. :(

I don't mind paying for shipping costs, even said so in my email that I was willing to pay for the shipping since he was bringing the sapphire back. But a transaction fee, could be about $250 and that is quite a lot. I understand that I went to their store three times, but I have been to many other places as well (usually no more than 2 times). This is why jewelery stores charge more for their items, to account for the cost of good customer service. I feel icky about this given that other places do not seem to operate in the same manner.

I felt very rushed and they were helping another customer, but I was foolish not to ask about the return policy.

I will see what the owner says when he gets back to me. :-/ I hope it remains a positive experience as I was going to refer them to friends with a lot more purchasing power than me.

sebas

Shiny_Rock
I just called the other store I worked with and they said 30-day, full refund, no problem. That kind of service goes a long way. I guess not all stores operate the same.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other store? I'm confused as to which store is which but I suppose it isn't the one that had the fee, correct?

sebas

Shiny_Rock
The other store being the local jewelry store that gave me sapphire #2. Sorry for the confusion. I just called them to verify that there wouldn't be a restocking fee with them as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No news from store 1's owner as yet?
Is stone 2 your current top contender? Or will it be your final pick?

sebas

Shiny_Rock
Stone 2 is current top contender and probably final pick because of time constraints.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Sebas I'm so sorry this has happened. It's really NOT fair for a company to do this. They cannot vary their terms like this. If there wasn't a charge first time around then they can't expect you to know that there will be the second time. Grrrrrrr this makes me really annoyed.

sebas

Shiny_Rock
The vendor was nice enough to only charge me shipping fees of $90 instead of the 2.5+% re-stocking fee. I definitely learned my lesson to be extra communicative about return policies.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I'm pleased for you that the vendor came to the party on this.

Did you buy the other sapphire?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew! I'm so glad that the owner was so reasonable and willing to waive the fee, taking into account the misunderstanding between both parties.

sebas

Shiny_Rock
I wanted to personally thank all of you PSers who patiently helped me through the process. I am really happy with the outcome and so is she! :) She said "yes" which is the most important thing to me. Yay!

Thanks also to all the local jewelers who helped me and that I highly recommend: Stacey and Erik at Joe Escobar Diamonds, Eric Trabert, Gordon Aatlo, Chabo's Jewelery, Marc Sarosi, Union Street Goldsmith, Roger Dery, Bruce Bridges, and Dan at Gemscut

In the end, I went with a 3.09ct oval sapphire (light heat treatment) from Joe Escobar Diamonds in San Jose because it had a really nice oval shape and was a little lighter but still saturated (the lighter tone does better inside and under lower light conditions). It was also larger at 3.09ct vs. 2.02ct so showcases better. And the best part is that in addition to liking it best it was half the price of the other sapphires I looked at. It did have a very small inclusion, but is considered eye-clean (you have to know it is there to see it).

The setting was done by Leon Mege, platinum, hand made, 3-sided halo and single-row v-cut pave. 114 diamonds total... lots of beautiful hard work. :) Leon was fantastic. The ring got done in 3-4 weeks and I was able to propose before the holidays.

I took the video with my iPhone near the bed light this morning (sorry I haven't had time to take a video in daylight... it looks way better in daylight because the blue just pops): http://youtu.be/hoqvHTJZeQ4

Again, thanks everyone! This has been a great community!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a fabulous ring but this thread is still not complete without multiple hand shots. :bigsmile:

sebas

Shiny_Rock
:bigsmile: I will try to get a video of her wearing it. :) But hopefully the video of me holding it provides a nice teaser.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwwww I'm so pleased for you! All your hard work and patience (with a bit of frustration thrown in) has really paid off because the ring is magnificent. I adore the basket setting - so pretty! Please do post photos - we're a greedy lot here!

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It looks to be a nice stone. Glad this had a happy ending! Please more pics when you can get them!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
It's lovely! And congratulations of course :)) But as others have said, more pics please!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks big and blue and well made! But we want more! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results