shape
carat
color
clarity

Over my head and really need advice.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

catwoman

Rough_Rock
Ready to spring for a major rock and want to make sure that I'm not being taken. My jeweler is showing me the following stone: 5.32ct pear, E, SI1, Total Depth 54.1%, Table 63.9%, cut grade 3B with an asking price of $57,000. I'm concerned about several things: AGA certificate, large culet, slight flat versus round bottom and I see some bowtie. Jeweler says last two are compromises with a large stone unless I want to pay significantly more.

I need some straight talk and good advice!!!

catwoman

Rough_Rock
I'm a rookie, so bear with me. Tell me more about ideal scope and what I would learn.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock

Small bow tie should be ok – it is a reflection of your head. Try to look at the stone through a small hole in a white sheet of paper. Bowtie should disappear.
[/u][/u]

catwoman

Rough_Rock
First of all, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate the help. Reviewed Ideal-Scope info and while it does not specifically reference pears, I assume Ovals are a good comparison. So I know that fancy cuts are less likely to have an ideal cut and I get an Ideal-Scope and look at the stone. The stone appears to have a moderate cut. I come to terms with a bowtie, which is common in a pear. Back to my original question, how do I know if the price is right? The jeweler is promoting 40% off of Rapp, but I have read enough to know that Rapp is a guide not an absolute?? careful e.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I just did a search on Pricescope for 5-6 carat E-SI1. There are several stones listed with the price from $12k/carat to $14k/carat. So from price viewpoint your stone cost much less ("only" $10.7k/carat).

It is a lot of money and I would wait a week or two till David Atlas (www.gemappraisers.com) will be back to check the stone. Btw, he's got the ideal-scopes.

Are you in PA?

catwoman

Rough_Rock
I'm in Texas, so I don't know how I could have the stone looked at by David.

catwoman

Rough_Rock
Shipping is my best option. None of the Texas names are good since I'm in Dallas. Since you have been kind enough to help ... do you have an opinion about the flat edge versus rounded and the AGA cert versus GIA?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
GIA report cost more and the diamonds with GIA report cost more.

I believe AGA report is as strict as GIA. David Atlas is the head of AGA. He posts on this forum as Oldminer. He also contributed to this site with his articles:

and

Sorry, I'm not sure what do you meen by "flat edge versus rounded". Is it about a diamond or a ring?[/u][/u]

catwoman

Rough_Rock
Sorry for my poor description. I think what I'm talking about is mentioned in the second article that you referenced "Some pear shaped diamonds have very broad shoulders where they might have a more rounded top". In other words, when I look down on the top of the stone, the "bottom" edge looks straight rather than rounded. It takes on a little more of a triangle appearance rather than teardrop. I hope that makes sense.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Got it now. I think it is a matter of personal taste.

Question: Do you like the diamond? Does it look nice for YOU?

I still believe you have to verify the diamond with independent expert. Color, clarity, cut... everything.

catwoman

Rough_Rock
I think you are right. Thanks for your advice :))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results