shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval - What to look out for?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
HI

My jeweller is currently searching for some oval cut doaminds for me to set in a new ER.

I have done a search here on PS, but am confused in regards to bow ties.....

Is it good to have a bow tie or not? Is it true that ALL ovals will have some sort of bow tie?

I am looking at getting it set in a halo.....the debate is whether I get a cushion or a oval. I seem to get more spread from an oval. Is that correct in thinking?

Any pics of ovals/cushions in halos with size, colour stats etc very welcome.

Thankks again everyone!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was an Oval thread a little while ago in SMTR that you may want to take a look at.

Some people like bowties but there''s a larger proportion that don''t. Basically a bowtie will appear as a darkened area in the centre of the stone. When I was looking at Ovals, if there was a bowtie, I found my eye drawn to it everytime and it became a distraction.

Ovals can look much bigger than an RB for example of the same size. Especially if you put it with a halo, you''re going to have a lovely look.

bugaboo

Shiny_Rock
Thankyou for your reply Lovingdiamonds.

I have been researching and researching diamonds for about a month solid now. If you gave me a quiz I would be 200% better than I would have been a couple of months ago!!!!

I agree with you that if you did see a bowtie your eye would automatically be drawn to it............I am starting to go off ovals now......

I am replacing a chipped diamond ER.......we opted for a cash payout as I didnt want to settle on another Princess, I have totally turned off them!!

I am drawn to the Tiffany Legacy, I love it, and will be flying to Sydney on Friday to inspect Tiffanys stock!!!!
1.gif
Yes, I know there is a preimum there, but I do own a few Tiffany pieces and their customer service and quality cannot be faulted. I have been quoted 2 Legacys, 0.94 and 0.96 ct centre stone for around $21000.

In Oz we do not have much selection - every jeweller I have contacted have to source in their diamonds from the US, and most want a 10% deposit to do so - quite expensive if I want to view a selection............

Thankyou for your help, its much appreciated!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/20/2009 12:05:41 AM
Author: bugaboo
Thankyou for your reply Lovingdiamonds.

I have been researching and researching diamonds for about a month solid now. If you gave me a quiz I would be 200% better than I would have been a couple of months ago!!!!

I agree with you that if you did see a bowtie your eye would automatically be drawn to it............I am starting to go off ovals now......

I am replacing a chipped diamond ER.......we opted for a cash payout as I didnt want to settle on another Princess, I have totally turned off them!!

I am drawn to the Tiffany Legacy, I love it, and will be flying to Sydney on Friday to inspect Tiffanys stock!!!!
1.gif
Yes, I know there is a preimum there, but I do own a few Tiffany pieces and their customer service and quality cannot be faulted. I have been quoted 2 Legacys, 0.94 and 0.96 ct centre stone for around $21000.

In Oz we do not have much selection - every jeweller I have contacted have to source in their diamonds from the US, and most want a 10% deposit to do so - quite expensive if I want to view a selection............

Thankyou for your help, its much appreciated!
This page explains about bow ties and shows you some examples. Some elongated fancy shapes will show this effect more than others, it is possible to minimize a bow tie though if you have an experienced vendor be your eyes.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ShapeTutorials/ShapeTips1/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results