shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval wedding reset to 3 stone or leave as is

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

Im looking at resetting my engagement ring. I have another thread here discussing my wedding band options (2020 has made me extremely indecisive haha): https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/single-prong-eternity-band-or-3-4.261688/#post-4861287.

I just remembered I have a pair of diamond earrings (not entirely sure their 4c's - they were a gift from my parents - Im thinking around .3 carats a piece) I was thinking I could use for a reset. I love the idea of having my fiance's ring set between my parents gift.

My Oval center stone is 1.5 carat brilliant and would love to know everyones thoughts. Im so torn between leaving my solitaire on a plain gold band (I love simplicity) but also know I love sparkle and eventually need to do something with these earrings (the prongs on the earrings are shot). Plus sometimes I just look at my hand (many times during this year) and wish there was just more sparkle in my life haha

What would you do? Reset with a paved band and turn into a 3 stone? Leave my setting as is?

I did my best to grab images but tbh its really hard with loose stones haha!

Still debating if I want my wedding band 3/4. I wear a plain gold band a lot because I love gold

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.19.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.19.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.19.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 12.19.21 PM.png

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
My coworker has a 1.5ct ish oval diamond set with two round side diamonds - one was from her fiance's side of the family and the other from hers, and while one is an OEC and the other a MRB with slight size differences, it is incredibly beautiful and she adores that her ring contains stones from both families. She stated that it felt like wearing love, haha!

From a sentimental standpoint, it would feel special to me to have a ring with all three stones together. Since you currently wear your engagement ring primarily with a plain band, resetting to a three stone makes the most sense for adding some extra bling to your finger.

You can maintain the simplicity of your ring by doing a plain trellis setting. =)

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
My coworker has a 1.5ct ish oval diamond set with two round side diamonds - one was from her fiance's side of the family and the other from hers, and while one is an OEC and the other a MRB with slight size differences, it is incredibly beautiful and she adores that her ring contains stones from both families. She stated that it felt like wearing love, haha!

From a sentimental standpoint, it would feel special to me to have a ring with all three stones together. Since you currently wear your engagement ring primarily with a plain band, resetting to a three stone makes the most sense for adding some extra bling to your finger.

You can maintain the simplicity of your ring by doing a plain trellis setting. =)

Thats what Im thinking!!! I love the idea of having my parents and and my fiance all together. Its a big change but I think im going to do it! I totally get the "feeling like love" on me always

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would reset it to add the accent side stones. I think that would give you some additional bling and would be very pretty.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would re-set with the earrings as accent stones in a 3-stone ring only if they are a good match with the Oval diamond.

I can't really tell if they are a good match or not based on the photos posted in the original post, sorry!

DK :))

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I would reset with the earring side stones. All the feels.

for the wedding band, for me, if it was a 3 stone ER, then a plain band.

But some ppl like the all bling aesthetic and it works.

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
I like that idea! And honestly I love my plain gold wedding band and then I could on special occasions bling it up.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I didn’t know I was until now! I wanted to add something and this jsut feels so right and a little more va va voom

it’s been a rough year. 4 weddings planned and Canceled. But this could be some icing to 2020

Sorry to hear about your wedding being cancelled. This sounds like the perfect way to make 2020 suck a little less. Come back with pics please. :))

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
Will do! And it was hard for sure but we got married and that’s all that matters :)

now I just need to decide if I do a 3 stone on a plain gold or paved. Decisions decisions haha and I have not been good about making them this year

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
My aesthetic for 3 stones set: the band on the 3 stone would be plain. And a plain wedding band.

then jazz up the set with separate eternity with or without the plain wedding band. A stackso you speak.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My aesthetic for 3 stones set: the band on the 3 stone would be plain. And a plain wedding band.

then jazz up the set with separate eternity with or without the plain wedding band. A stackso you speak.

Totally agree. I think a plain band for the three stone would focus the eye on the main event.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
+1 for a three stone as I am a three stone girl! I love the story of what your ring will signify. I will say that for me personally, a plain band works best long term as I'm tough on my rings and it's easier to build a stack without it. Also, it will leave band options endless with no other pressure than your whim/want to fill. It's going to be lovely.

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
I agree! Im getting so excited! I have an appointment next week to plan and review. Im thinking a six prong oval placement (I LOVE 6 prongs on ovals) and then having a safe amount for the rounds - but - only one prong at the end (maybe that would be 3). I love corners on curved stones. Like an oval with six plays tricks on the eye showing a fat marquis - and I feel like 3 prongs on a circle would trick into almost a pear or trap :)

Heres an attempt (wow its hard with loose stones haha) with a single prong. I really like it! Not for everyday but definitely for special occasions (I have a razor edge spacer to prevent damage)

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.24.11 PM.png

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
Just saw you have another thread for your e-ring! Yay more fun!
I think three stones are so romantic looking and with the meaning behind your 3 stones it’ll be so sweet and sentimental. IMO a simple rose gold or yellow gold band would look gorgeous, compliment your skin tone, and make those stones really pop. As others have pointed out it also creates a great base to play with wedding bands. I also LOVE a solid e-ring band paired with diamond wedding bands. You can always dress her up more or keep it minimal and it’ll always look *chefs kiss*

show us pics from your appointment, would love to see more of that beauty!

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
I think you're right! I love that idea too. I have everything yellow gold so that will work really really well. I was playing around with different bands that I have. Im so excited to check out how it will look

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stones look great together! I would do it! Great finger coverage but still lets the center stone stand out due to the different shapes.
Really pretty IMO!

I would have DK make the setting. It could be an heirloom piece for your family!

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
I think the stones look great together! I would do it! Great finger coverage but still lets the center stone stand out due to the different shapes.
Really pretty IMO!

I would have DK make the setting. It could be an heirloom piece for your family!

I agree! Ahh im so so excited for tomorrow. 3rd time making this setting appears to be the charm <3

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Prior to the pandemic, Tiffany's at the Westchester Mall had this bad boy on display. The center stone was 1.50 G, VS1 for about $52K! Wow! It looked amazing. 1606158075997.png

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
Your oval and earrings look so well balanced together.

Thanks! It almost feels like fate. I love diamonds but for some I am hesitant to wear dude to potential loss (earrings being one). I have a few diamond hoops that I’m comfortable wearing but studs - so easily lost! I’m so so so glad I remembered these. I had my eyes on an A Jaffe 3 stone setting but wasn’t keen on the side stones that came with it - to my luck these are perfect!

Will post pics tomorrow for the setting try one and mark ups

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
I have an update!

So I found out they are actually .51 carats a piece and I have two setting ideas! One on a plain band and one with paved - still undecided on what should I do. I’m leaning towards plain band but still undecided - also for the pave we would not have diamonds go up alongside the prongs - think of a step so the side diamonds shine. I also stacked my oval next to it for reference :)

Would be a gold band and white gold prongs - next to my wedding ring for reference

my wedding band is a single prong eternity in yellow gold.

A98F1578-5BBE-4ED5-AD3D-6A4D6B6566AF.jpeg 6917E0C0-965A-4156-9DF0-5878D12062A9.jpeg 0889B18C-DD40-43D2-9ECA-DC103D1063E1.jpeg 99F95827-CC05-4745-AAA2-EF568324603A.jpeg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I think a plain band for your 3 stone project.

yoru wedding ring is beautiful. your E ring wth pave band will compete with the wedding band. My aesthetic is that both rings should complement each other.

But, if you like the bling bling bling look- go for it!

Bling away!!!!

chicago123

Shiny_Rock
I think a plain band for your 3 stone project.

yoru wedding ring is beautiful. your E ring wth pave band will compete with the wedding band. My aesthetic is that both rings should complement each other.

But, if you like the bling bling bling look- go for it!

Bling away!!!!

I’m thinking the same! We’re having CADs of each to see - it’s a lot of bling for sure hahah. But I always know after the getting used to the shrinkage sinks in hahaha so I will keep an open mind.

the 3 stone felt SO GOOD can’t even express haha just a whole new look

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
Prior to the pandemic, Tiffany's at the Westchester Mall had this bad boy on display. The center stone was 1.50 G, VS1 for about $52K! Wow! It looked amazing.
I tried on this E VVS 3 carat oval in the exact same setting at Tiffanys. Stunning ring and setting. 6CD0EF51-7052-4B4D-8F88-14CC21D01ED8.jpeg

Chicago123: sorry to hijack this thread. I love oval diamonds and yours is gorgeous. You can’t go wrong with a 3 stone ring or plain solitaire. I also adore oval diamonds with delicate halo settings. I look forward to see your final reveal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results