shape
carat
color
clarity

oval stone: color H vs I...does it matter?

ovalissimo

Rough_Rock
hi:

i'm shopping for a 2.0 - 2.5 carat oval stone, and i'm planning to do a VS2 - VS1 stone. here's my question: is there a noticeable difference (other than price) between H & I color? i've read in a couple places that for oval cuts the way the light refracts the color difference in a platinum setting can start to become noticeable in an I color stone, and that it will look duller than an H might. i realize this is a difference sort of on the margins, but in price terms it's pretty sizable. this is going to be in an engagement ring set with a micro-pave halo around the stone, everything in platinum, in case that matters. basically what i'm asking is whether if we went with an I color would we regret not having paid a little more to get an H color stone? thanks so so much!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
In a halo, with an oval, you might be better off with an H at 2 carats.

ovalissimo

Rough_Rock
thanks for the answer, but why would i be better with smaller ring / H color?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Because the ring will be more beautiful. Gypsy speaks truth. It is the halo that will be less color matched otherwise it wouldn't matter much. If you go smaller that's not great in itself but if you choose the lower color to get size the looks of the whole piece will pay the price. And I personally would notice that over size.

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
I just bought a G SI1 oval. I looked at a LOT of ovals in the process... ovals do tend to show color more, and I could notice it in H but especially in I, and the bigger the stone got the more I could see it. I had the option of going with a 1.3 ct I, but went with a smaller 1 ct G, because the I looked almost light yellow to me. And I don't really consider myself that "color sensitive"

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For some reason (for me) the H/I jump is where I start noticing color. The H/I jump seems to be bigger than any of the other
color jumps before it (to me). Since you are talking about an Oval which tend to naturally show more color, and a very large stone, I think if you are worried about it then you should stick with an H.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1319725769|3048697 said:
For some reason (for me) the H/I jump is where I start noticing color. The H/I jump seems to be bigger than any of the other
color jumps before it (to me). Since you are talking about an Oval which tend to naturally show more color, and a very large stone, I think if you are worried about it then you should stick with an H.

Exactly what everyone is saying....

Ovals are spready already. You don't NEED 2.5 carats in a halo to get a WOW factor. You will get that with a 2 carat oval anyway, and adding a halo just guarantees it. Take the money you would spend on carat weight you don't need and put it into upping the color-- which you DO need as ovals can show color. I would try for a G if you can but H is good too.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have a 1.01 G and a 1.15 H. Both GIA graded. The H appears significantly more tinted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results