shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Setting - wedding band has to sit flush or not?? Help!

tarank

Rough_Rock
Hi!

We are looking to have the below ring made but this setting weve been advised (Jean Dousset Chealsea oval) will not allow the wedding band to sit flush against it.
(we know a curved band is option but we don't want a curved as cant be worn alone)

so we need to know if we should change the setting or if we a band that doesn't sit flush will look good?

We haven't seen a band that doesn't sit flush .. so will it be ok to keep this design and have the wedding band not flush?

Appreciate your input --thanks!

Chelsea-Rose-Gold-Oval-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Jean-Dousset-450x450.jpg

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
its personal taste.. i have an oval spilt shank that doesn't sit flush... I've attached for you to see... I love my setting

IMG_0348.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_5031.JPG IMG_5032.JPG The picture you show has the diamond up pretty high. A band would sit almost flush - well, flush with that little donut. Lots of people rock that little gap. Even a bigger gap, like this one.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You might need to consider wearing a spacer band anyway as it's possible the three sided pave will scratch up a wedding band.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
With the pave on the side of the ring, you'd want to wear a spacer band otherwise your main wedding band is going to get scratched significantly anyway. Go to a store and try on a similar setting with some bands and see if you like the gap. I personally like the visual look of a gap, but my rings sit flush. It's not just personal preference, you also need to consider your lifestyle. A flush fit band without pave is going to be the easiest to wear. I think with that 3-sided pave, you're going to need to take the ring off for doing just about anything!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like your engagement ring is kind of inspired by the Blake Lively engagement ring - and she wears hers with a gap:

View media item 122081View media item 122080
(You can see that the top ring has a much smaller gap - I suspect the bottom ring is just way too big or something? eta: Getty has a bunch of images showing how relatively small the gap is when she's wearing rings right next to it: http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/b...phrase=blake lively and ring&sort=mostpopular )

But keep in mind that with 3-sided pave of the type on that ring, wearing anything next to it will cause damage over time, and wearing another pave band next to it will cause the most damage. Blake Lively is probably not a good example for that because she can afford to buy a new setting whenever hers breaks. If you can't, you will want to either wear the ring alone, wear a spacer and infrequently wear your ring with other rings, or have your engagement ring and wedding band soldered together so they don't rub.

eta This is the first time I posted pictures since the forum changeover and... what did I do. I didn't mean to make it how it is.

Last edited:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
@distracts, I think you just can drag photos into the post now. No "attaching" needed?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results