shape
carat
color
clarity

oval questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

suzanne

Rough_Rock
I am new here and have a couple questions. I was wondering if 6 prongs would make an oval diamond look more like a marquise? Is it possible to have the 6 prongs set on the sides vs. one on top and one on bottom? Thank you I am new to this site and am floored by all the great info!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your saying that an oval may get to look like a Marquise makes me think that the stone you have in mind has a weird (and not so great) cut. Ovals should NOT lok like marquises! To see what I mean you may want to try that little Fancy Shape Selector on Gemappraisers.com What does your oval look like? Long ones tend to be less brilliant, as far as my experience goes.

About the setting: a custom ring could be made as you say 9and perhaps some ready-made coudl be modified too). However, I woudl not go this route for safety reasons. If prongs leave the E-W sides of the stone free, it could #1) slip out of the setting and #2) get chipped on the exposed parts of the girdle. Personally, I a not very keen on either loosing or damagind rings, insured or not... and would not risk it even if the jeweler would leniently agree on less-tan safe designs. Just my 0.2, of course.

suzanne

Rough_Rock
No I do not have the diamond yet. I have just heard that an oval set w/ 6 prongs can look more like a marquise than an oval and i don't want this. Thank You

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Suzanne, here's previous thread about a four prong vs. 6 prong setting, so your oval doesn't look marquis. Hope it helps!

Old thread on ovals

Also, I have seen double prongs (instead of 4 there are 8 thin ones, 2 right next to eachother) and that may be set on the sides with some exposure on the N/S. Valeria's got a point, but you should see what a jeweler can do. They are great with those sort of problems! Good luck!

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
Depending on the resources avalible too the jeweler anythig is posible, if you want a stone to keep it shape and the prongs are the concern...drop the prongs and go with a ring desogm that does not need them. A pressure set would look nice, and keep the shape of the stone, likewise bezel setting works well too, I make a lot of rings, I dont like prongs, they can catch and snag, (I even had one lady come in who said the prongs on her ring were scratching her baby every time she went to pick it up) not a good thing, we designed a smooth low profile setting with no prongs, and it really enhanced the stone too!

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
I agree. Other mounting types are possible to accent the stone, but if you really want prongs, the six can be oriented on the radial axis any way you want. Valeria made some good points about girdle exposure - to properly do this it may require casting a custom head to get both the prong arrangement you like and proper safety, but this is easily and inexpensively done.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results