color
clarity

oval old cut on the way!

decodolly

Rough_Rock
Absolutely beautiful!! I cannot wait to see it when it is set!! :love: :love:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I will be sending the diamond back to JbEG soon to have it set in the Lisa setting. At this point, I don't know what sidestone diamonds will be used. There are several choices: the 2-3 pt. RBC as in the original setting, 5-8 pt. RBC (from a pair of small stud earrings that belonged to one of my grandmothers, which I'll never wear), OEC melee, or a pair of OECs 13-15 pt. from the packet JbEG has for sale on their web site.

The sapphires will be no darker than medium blue and sized to look good with whatever diamonds are chosen, which may be the same size or somewhat larger.

I'm relying on the nice ladies at JbEG to help me make the best choice to set off the antique oval diamond.

This will be more than I planned to spend but I will have something unlike anything I've seen. The center setting has a little bit of an illusion setting, which I think the diamond needs.

Don't expect to have the finished ring any time soon...

liz

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Lisa setting! I really like the subtle illusion setting, I think it's a great way to help the center stone stand out a bit more without over-powering it. Great choice Libby, can't wait to see it!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I just got my CADs but I don't know if I'm allowed to share them yet since JbEG hasn't officially announced that they are doing custom settings. All I can say is that I love, love, LOVE the CADs! There's not a thing that I want to change (as long as the color of the sapphires isn't representative of the actual sapphires, 'cause the CAD ones are darker than I want).

At this point, they're planning to use my grandmother's earring stones, which are probably 7 points, give or take, so a tiny bit larger than the diamonds they've used before. I think the ring is going to be absolutely gorgeous. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll have it before Thanksgiving, but I'm not holding my breath. I just have to be patient, something I'm not good at one little bit.

liz

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Libby, it sounds beautiful! :appl: I'm excited for you, can't wait to see it!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very exciting Libby! I hope you can post the CADs but if not, we'll understand. Sounds amazing! I hope you can be wearing it by Thamksgiving!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I'll post two of the CAD photos for now.... I know it's going to look a lot more delicate than this.

lisacad1.jpg

lisacad2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Libby it is lovely! Is the sapphire smaller in diameter than the outer diamond? It looks it...

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Dreamer_D,

I think that the sapphires are supposed to be the same diameter as the diamonds. I saw the same thing that you did, but I think it has to do with the light diamonds looking larger than the dark sapphires.

Early in the process, when I was trying to decide what I wanted to do, I mentioned to Erica that I might be interested in sapphires that are larger than the diamonds. She said that when they first designed the setting, they experimented with various sidestone sizes and ratios and when the diamonds and sapphires weren't the same size, it looked like an accident or that they just couldn't find stones the same size, so I'm pretty sure they'll try very hard to get sapphires that match the diamonds in diameter.

I did mention that the sapphires look smaller than the diamonds in the CAD in one of my e-mails to Erica so she knows I'm concerned about that. Haven't gotten a reply to that message yet but I know she's very busy these days.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Erica said that it was okay for me to post all the CADs so here are the other ones. She says that the sidestones should all be the same size and she'll confirm that they are.

liz

lisacad3.jpg

lisacad4.jpg

lisacad5.jpg

lisacad6.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yummy!!! I love the heart detail on the centre oval basket!!! WOW!! That's going to be amazing Libby! Is that a CAD shadow or is there a break in the bezel on the height of the mount (do you KWIM?) It looks like the top is floating - I hope it is part of the design because I think it would help with light to the side stones and I love anything that adds an airy element to a setting!!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

There is a break in the bezel so the sidestones do float. The photos of the actual rings show the break. There seems to be a bit more break in these CADs, which makes the bezels look a little more delicate.

I think that having the heart-motif basket that forms the illusion head will really set off the center stone. Looks like the center stone will be neither high nor low.

I just hope that production will be on the shorter end of the estimate rather than the longer!

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Waiting is the WORST, once you've made up your mind and the decision is over!! I hope its a 7 day turnaround! (lol! probably not likely, but I can still hope the best for you!)

That is a gorgeous setting - very feminine, antique, romantic - very lovely! I'm excited for you!! :appl:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi,

Alas, the estimate is 3-4 weeks.

I'm spending a lot more on the setting than I'd planned to, especially for a diamond that was an impulse purchase of sorts, but I think I will have something that I'll really love and wear a lot. It won't look like anything anyone else I know wears.

Erica assured me they'd take some glamor photos! My jewelry photography stinks.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Erica just e-mailed to tell me my ring is ready. Should ship tomorrow, maybe I'll have it Wednesday. Hope she'll send some "teaser" photos.

liz

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great Libby - Excited for you!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Exciting! Looking forward to pics!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Just got it, no way to get photos yet. It's beautiful and the perfect setting for this diamond. The illusion head really sets it off without being an obvious illusion head.

I am disappointed in the sapphires, though. They are darker than I requested. I wanted medium blue or lighter, something that would look blue even in low light. These look dark, even black most of the time. Bezel setting is not kind to dark stones, especially small dark stones. The first person I showed it to commented that she thought the sapphires were onyx.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I hate to think about the expense of shipping both ways and the down time to get the sapphires replaced. I've already e-mailed Erica and Grace so I'll wait to hear from them to see what my options are.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Took the ring to the jeweler I use for appraisals and didn't say anything to him about my feelings about the sapphires. He weighted and measured and recorded the particulars. After he came back with my ring and his written notes, I commented on the sapphires being darker than I requested. He had listed them as very dark blue, which is exactly what I said (more than once) that I did NOT want.

I'm sick to my stomach over this and feel like crying. Silly, I know, but I spent more on this setting than I had planned to and I exchanged several e-mails with Grace in which I specifically stated that I wanted the sapphires medium blue or lighter (maybe not as light as cornflower), whatever color would look blue (not black) in less light.

Grace says to ship it back, but I'm hoping I don't have to pay for shipping. I thought I'd made it plain that I didn't want dark sapphires and Grace even said she doesn't like dark sapphires.

So my joy in getting the ring is tainted by it not being what I asked for and having to go through the time and hassle of sending it back.

liz

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Libby,

Per Grace's email to you earlier today, we will replace the sapphires at our expense, and this includes shipping. As you know, color perception is very subjective - we thought that we were giving you the color sapphires you wanted, but we got it wrong and they're darker than you'd like, so we'll happily replace them with lighter stones.

Also per Grace's email to you, we'll send you pics of the replacement stones for approval before setting them, just to be certain that they meet your expectations. Obviously we want you to love your ring - so we're thrilled to hear that you love everything else about it and will take care of this problem quickly so that you have your ring back on your finger as fast as humanly possible!

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Erica,

You and Grace are Johnny-on-the-spot, for sure. I just sent Grace a bunch of photos of colors I like. I know color is subjective in some ways, but I said at least three times in e-mails before we had the work order that I did not want dark sapphires and reiterated that about the dark sapphires in the CAD. My main trepidation with getting this setting was the sapphire color and I got exactly what I was afraid of getting and tried so hard to avoid. There is no way that the sapphires in this ring would be considered anything but dark. I don't know what happened, but the stones look much darker than those in the photos of the two sapphire Lisas on your web site. Even in bright light, they are dark.

I know y'all will take care of it. I'm just whining a bit. Sorry! I was so looking forward to having it and wearing it and being done with the whole process...

It is a beautiful setting, and perfect for the diamond. I don't regret choosing the setting, I just wish I could photoshop the sapphires.

liz

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to post a few not-so-great photos here and wait until I have it back with lighter sapphires before sharing on SMTB.

It's a lovely setting, but even with flash or full sunlight, the sapphires just don't show much blue.

Sorry about my man-hands, but that's what I have. Size 8.25, center stone is an old European cut oval .79 ct. 7 pt. diamond sidestones, 2.7 mm sapphires, platinum.

lisadk01.jpg

lisadk02.jpg

lisadk03.jpg

lisadk04.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
And a couple more.

lisadk05.jpg

lisadk06.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it turned out beautifully liz!! It looks so pretty on your hand! I adore that setting, what a great choice. Sorry about the sapphire situation, but Grace and Erica will make it right.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results