shape
carat
color
clarity

oval from ERD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I posted the start of this project in the LIW board, but I figured it needs a thread of its on in RockyTalky since not everyone checks LIW regularly....and because the ring is finished! Gary just sent me a picture of the finished product!

At the beginning, I thought I wanted a cushion (I think Ephemery was in a similar situation when she was choosing what she wanted). However, when my boyfriend and I went to try on rings of all different shapes, sizes, and settings, I fell in love with an oval with pear side stones. Not only did it elongate my fingers, I loved how it looked so elegant and classic. It''s not as brilliant as a round or a princess (which most of my friends have), but the understated sparkles just caught my heart. Plus I read later on that women who wear ovals are very traditional but like to stand out from the crowd once in a while - which is exactly how I am!

We tried on ovals in the 1-2 carat ranges, and I felt that ~1.5 was the best size for me (some people can pull off a 2 carat ring, but I just wasn''t comfortable having such a honker on my finger...plus I look very young for my age).

When we were ready to make a purchase, the first place I called was ERD, because we both work in NYC. They were very accommodating and very easy to work with, even making an appointment for 6pm (when all the other vendors in the diamond district were closing) so that we can stop by after work.

Both Gary and Mark told us that the demand for ovals is low at the moment so it''s a bit harder to find good stones within our price range and our desired specs. However, they managed to pull 3 very beautiful ovals (with minimal bowtie) in a very short span of time.

The three stones comprised of two G''s and one F. I immediately ruled one of the G''s out because I could definitely see the color. The second G, however, was sooo white that I had trouble telling it apart from the F. I couldn''t believe it was rated the same color as the other G!

So it was down to the F and the G. I scrutinized each and compared them in my head a million times. Gary was very patient with me during this process, reminding me that the diamond selection process is very personal and while one person may like one stone, another may prefer another - I need to choose what I like.

In the end, I decided that I like the G better. It had 4 main pavilions as opposed to the F''s six - it gave a more "organized sparkle" (the exact words I used to describe it to Gary, and he said it''s a very good way to putting it). I never thought I can go below an F because I''m pretty color-sensitive, but ERD proved me otherwise! What a white stone! And when I told Gary that I liked this stone the best, he smiled and said this was the first they had pulled for me and he knew I''d like it.
1.gif

However, I wasn''t ready to make a purchase yet....I felt like I shouldn''t rush into such a big purchase (and to be honest, I really hadn''t expected to fall in love with a stone so quickly)....so we asked Gary to put the stone on hold. I thought carefully about it for the next few days, and I just couldn''t get over how beautiful the stone was. Then I realized, if I love it so much, why waste any more time?

So, in true PS fashion, here are the specs of the stone I chose:

Oval Brilliant
Measurements: 8.65 x 6.30 x 4.10 mm
Carat Weight: 1.50
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: SI1
Depth: 65.1 %
Table: 56 %
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Extremely Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: None

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
This is the picture Gary sent us when he found the side stones for my ring (0.58tw pears):

1.50 oval with 0.58tw pear shapes.jpg

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
And here is a picture of my finished ring! Thank you, ERD, it looks beautiful....now the real wait for the proposal begins!

Jenny Hwang 08  12.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 11:07:47 AM
Author:JenStone
It's not as brilliant as a round or a princess (which most of my friends have), but the understated sparkles just caught my heart. Plus I read later on that women who wear ovals are very traditional but like to stand out from the crowd once in a while - which is exactly how I am!
That's what matters most!
2.gif

Your ring is stunning, I can't wait to see it (in person)!!

And congrats on your purchase!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow--it''s gorgeous! I can''t wait for hand shots!

widget

Ideal_Rock
MY WORD! It''s beautiful, Jen...congratulations!

I LOVE the oval/pear combination...as you said: classic but a little different...and SO elegant!
30.gif

widget

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HELLO GORGEOUS!

Beautiful ring! I love that oval!
30.gif
YAY!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
What a pretty ring! I really love ovals too. Very elegant shape. I love yours.
36.gif
36.gif

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, everyone! I originally contemplated getting double-claw prongs for the center stone but was afraid it might overwhelm it. I love this setting because it''s a tiny bit tough-looking - it seems to create a nice contrast with the delicate lines of the diamonds. I can''t stop staring at the picture and I can''t wait to see it in person!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Whoa! The proportions of that combo are perfect. It makes a beautiful ring. I love ovals! Congradulations!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, JenStone, that ring is GORGEOUS! What a classic BEAUTY of a ring you have there! Great job!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful JS...now the real wait begins!!
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Jen it''s beautiful!!!! I hope your wait isn''t too long!!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the oval with side pears! Great choice!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my, it''s really stunning!!! What a beautiful ring, I bet you are having a hard time waiting for it to be on your finger!

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
It certainly does look beautiful. Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing handshots, it''s a stunning ring.

Wish you both every joy.

Jen

kkarpeles

Rough_Rock
Kaleigh, I was reading another post of yours a while back regarding Pennsylvania Diamond Exchange in Philly. Can you expand on why you would not purchase from them? I have some interaction lately with them and eternity bands were priced good albeit they were g-h stones. ...I am headed to NYC diamond dsitrict to meet some jewelers just trying to make an informed decision and not pay more than I need to.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
DROOL! Beautiful ring, Jen! Looking forward to more pics
9.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! My ering was an OVAL and now I have a Cushion. So I understand the appeal of both. I''m glad you found a stone you really really like. That''s what''s important.

Please post hand shots soon.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Soooo beautiful!
Isn''t Gary the greatest?
Congratulations, it''s stunning.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s absolutely gorgeous-your boyfriend better not make you wait too long if he knows what''s good for him! I can''t wait to see more pictures!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh, how exciting Jen!!!! woooo

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
They sparkle like crazy! Beautiful stones!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I can''t wait to see it on your finger!

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Jen--I love all the pics. I think the one among the crystal friends is my favorite...your ring just fits right in, doesn''t it? The ring is stunning and so are the side stones. I am so happy for you and I know you are simply thrilled to have such a beauty on your finger!!
36.gif
30.gif

Is this a custom setting made by ERD? Forgive me if you have already talked about that and I missed it. I think those hearts on at the tips of the pears are adorable and was wondering if that was a special request from you or your FI!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2007 10:27:34 AM
Author: Miranda
Beautiful! I can''t wait to see it on your finger!
Ditto
36.gif

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/30/2007 4:36:44 PM
Author: dianne
Jen--I love all the pics. I think the one among the crystal friends is my favorite...your ring just fits right in, doesn''t it? The ring is stunning and so are the side stones. I am so happy for you and I know you are simply thrilled to have such a beauty on your finger!!
36.gif
30.gif

Is this a custom setting made by ERD? Forgive me if you have already talked about that and I missed it. I think those hearts on at the tips of the pears are adorable and was wondering if that was a special request from you or your FI!!
Jen--I goofed and responded to the wrong post....I was searching this post to see if you had your ring made custom and meant to post my question to your posting with all the pictures. Forgive me for confusing things.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results