shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval ering - what to look for?

pumpkinbunny

Rough_Rock
I have been stalking the PS forums for a while now and have finally settled on what ering setting I want - an oval halo on a diamond band. I would love some guidance on what to look for in an oval diamond, I've seen people give guidance on what to look for in a solitaire and would appreciate any input on table/depth/bow tie for an oval before I start visiting vendors with serious intent to buy.

My budget is $20-25k including setting, so from what I have seen I am thinking around 1.6-2 ct (although this isn't as important to me as the overall diamond and look in the final setting). Ideally I would like a nice tight halo, not too much excess metal and a 1.8-2mm pave band. I am in NYC so vendor suggestions would also be welcome - I am partial to the Lauren B settings but haven't any reviews on PS, so I think their social media campaign may be snaring me as they post multiple times a day.

Thanks in advance,

trailblazer7232

Rough_Rock
We're on the hunt for an oval too, and though I'm sure some experts here can give you specific numbers to search by, we've found with fancy shapes you really just have to see them. So much of them just come down to personal preference (in terms of length-to-wide ratio/how "fat" the diamond will look, how prominent a bow tie you are willing to accept, how color sensitive you are, etc).

With that said, we've found a few things since we've seen a couple ovals in real life. We're sticking with G color or better, since unlike rounds ovals can show color more easily (to us at least). We also prefer stones close to the 1.4 length-to-wide ratio, and most importantly, we're willing to search for months (going on 3 months now) to find an oval with an absolutely minimal bow tie. You'll have to see a few ovals, especially since you're in NY and the diamond district is accessible, to feel out your preferences.

David at Good Old Gold is a great vendor to reach out to - he's been working with us to call in stones and has been great to work with (also a well known/respected PS vendor). James Allen has an assortment of stones with video, too.

Best of luck!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
trailblazer7232|1445342989|3940184 said:
...we've found with fancy shapes you really just have to see them. So much of them just come down to personal preference (in terms of length-to-wide ratio/how "fat" the diamond will look, how prominent a bow tie you are willing to accept, how color sensitive you are, etc).

Trailblazer7232 is correct in regards to fancy shapes. The numbers and proportions can give you some sense of the outline of the diamond, but the light performance metrics are not predictable based on numbers alone. Light performance is dictated by proportions throughout the diamond, so two ovals with identical proportion can vary greatly based on depth, table and crown percentage.

I like the advice to see as many diamonds as possible in differing lengths, widths and ratios and start to determine how much/how prominent you like the bow-tie and how they will appear in your chosen setting on your finger.

That said, the idea of a reputable lab-graded diamond of a particular color and clarity is something you can set your mind to in order to 'limit' the depth and breadth of your search - you may find a particular color and/or clarity range that you like and that will help give you direction.

pumpkinbunny

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I appreciate the input. Now I just have to get out and look at some stones.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
efwil1|1445731888|3941784 said:
Just wanted to pass along a recommendation - http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.01-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-269363

Tyty33 posted this stone on another thread about ovals yesterday as an example of what to look for. It looks really good to me as well, but is out of my budget. Maybe it's worth reaching out to James Allen for an ASET and gemologist assessment though?

Good luck!

That is an insanely beautiful stone. WOW.

Out of my budget, too! :mrgreen:

efwil1

Rough_Rock
Agreed. Wish I had the $ to buy that one myself! But at least good to know there are some good ovals out there :)

efwil1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that suggestion tyty33! It's funny because that 1.8 F VS2 stone was actually the first one I looked at closely. However, I got the ASET and was a little disappointed with the amount of leakage everywhere except the direct center. That said, I'm no expert and don't really know what a "good" ASET looks like.

I've attached it here, as well as a link to another site that is selling it (also with an ASET): https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Oval/GIA-Certified-1-8-Carat-F-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-6UZ7P5

7578274__aset_image.jpg

What do you think - is it worth pursuing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results