shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Engagement Ring

Britta

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

My coworker is looking to propose to his girlfriend soon. I was trying to help him find a MRB, but he informed me he found out she prefers ovals. I've learned a ton of info here about ideal cut rounds, but I really don't know much of anything about ovals. From my brief search I saw Opulence Ovals mentioned. My friend has a budget of about 5k. Can anyone take a look at these two and make a recommendation?

https://augustvintageinc.com/collections/opulence/products/1-004ct-g-si2-august-vintage-oval-1328681

https://augustvintageinc.com/collections/opulence/products/1-01ct-i-vs2-august-vintage-oval-1198376

Is an I color too low for an oval? She wants a very simple yellow gold setting so that shouldn't add too much to the cost.

Thank you everyone!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the color & ASET image (on the AGS report) of the G moreso than the I, though I like the ‘I’s clarity plot better. If given a choice between the two, I think I’d go with the G assuming it is eye clean; however, ask Jonathan what this is on the G diamond. I noticed it when spinning it around to see how visible the inclusions may be. Looks almost like some sort of ‘goo’ or something vs. inclusions, but I could be mistaken. :confused:

ETA: I take it back; I think the G’s clarity - albeit busier - looks more ‘eye clean’ to me than the VS2 I. Ask Jonathan about this.

420091E6-FBA8-43A4-8F9C-C823F45C4642.jpeg

Last edited:

Britta

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that feedback! I emailed him and he said it is just a water spot and the diamond is 100% eye clean. Do you think there are any other vendors worth looking at or are these the best out there?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully others well-versed in ovals will join in with their feedback as the day goes on, but in terms of the ‘best’, that’s subjective. In other words, I believe August Vintage is the only brand offering true ‘ideal’ cut ovals, so if that’s your definition of ‘the best’, then I think the answer is ‘yes’. Yes, they come at a price premium. But if your idea of the ‘best’ is carat/spread for cost, then I think there are other/more options worth looking at, such as James Allen and Blue Nile, but those will require more knowledge about oval cuts and others to help weigh in on options you find.

What are the priorities of the person buying (as well as wearer’s priorities, if known) with regard to cut, color, clarity, carat/spread and cost? That may better help determine what ‘best’ really means.

Britta

Rough_Rock
Great questions that I don't 100% have the answers to.

This is going to be a complete surprise so they have not discussed rings. We saw a picture of an oval ring on her pinterest and she has mentioned them to her sister. She isn't super into jewelry so honestly she probably doesn't have a lot of preferences. She is very laid back and easy going. He thinks she will be fine with a 1ct size, so really I'm just trying to find him the prettiest oval diamond in his budget.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Britta I assume that $5K budget is just for the diamond (not including setting); is that correct? Or is $5K ‘all-in’ setting included?

Britta

Rough_Rock
He said it could be just for the diamond.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results