shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chromeman

Rough_Rock
Just starting the diamond search and was wondering if oval diamonds are used much for the main stone of an engagement ring or are they best suited for other applications. Looking for something around 1 ct.
TIA
Bob

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to pricescope Chromeman! Oval diamonds can be used as center stones or side stones for a ring, really for whatever your tastes desire! There are no "rules" as to what should or should not be a center stone, it all depends on what you like. I've seen many beautiful rings with an oval diamond center, as well as for side stones (often set in the east-west position as sides). Actually, a new look I've been seeing a lot lately is a center oval stone in the east-west position which can be a very beautiful and different look. Enjoy your diamond searching, and welcome again to pricescope.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ovals are good for anything
1.gif
Actually, only a few cuts are purpose-designed: these are side-stone shapes (half moons, tapered baguettes...). The two generic "complaints" about ovals is that they do not match the light return of ideal cut rounds (actually no non-round does, in theory) and that they do display bow-tie. These two arguments make some prefer round diamonds to ovals – which by no means imply that oval cuts are bound to disappear, fortunately. As long as cut quality (proportions and light return) is there, why not
2.gif
Just a thought, of course...

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
My mom has a ring with an oval stone as the center stone. It's really beautiful. I really like it because you don't see too many oval stones.

edited to add: My mom's oval stone really does sparkle. However, you can tell a difference between the sparkle of my RB and her oval. I agree with Valeria.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It' really up to your preference , engagement rings come in all different shapes there are no set rules as to what shape it should be.The most expensive shape are the round stones ,or the fancy colored stones ,Rounds because of their demand and fancy colored stones because of their scarcity.

If the oval is the type of stone that you like than go for it.Just make sure that the ratio should be between 1:1.35-1.50 depending how you like it fat or narrow.
Ovals have became very popular lately because of the way they look in the 3 stone ring "past, present and future" ,they are one of the hottest selling stones that are selling in those settings.

chromeman

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of your comments. This site and all of those who contribute have been and will be a wealth of information.. Yesterday I knew nothing about diamoinds, today I know enough to get in trouble,
9.gif
So by tomorrow I should have a grasp on all of this information.
read.gif

Colorado Michelle

Rough_Rock
Hey Chromeman - a belated response to your prior posting on ovals. I have an oval engagement ring with trillion sidestones, and I love it. I wanted something a little different, and I receive many compliments on its brilliance. Rounds are beautiful, of course, but there's nothing wrong with preferring another shape. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results