shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Quack

Rough_Rock
I am in the market for a 2.5 +/- carat Oval diamond. The girlfriend want size, I want quality. You combine the two and you could break the bank. The question is what should I look for in an oval.I am trying to get the biggest bang for my buck, just as everyone. For me, cut is important, color, size, and the clarity.Cut: depth 59% - 65.4%, table 53%- 64%, polish good or better, sym good or better.
Color: F - H
Carat: 2.35 - 2.65
Clarity: VS2 - SI1Please help in what I should look for and where I should look. I do have some time to make the decision.
------------------
Jim at [email protected]

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,The bowtie has to do with the cut. You should go for a diamond that has a minimal bowtie (you shouldn't see a big black stripe in the diamond), but if the diamond is cut so shallow that it has none, the diamond may look like a sheet of glass with no fire.
Interestingly, if you were to poke eyeholes in a sheet of white paper, hold it up to your eyes and look at the diamond, you would see the bowtie turn white as it is a reflection of sorts.As for the difference in the look of the bowtie in different color grades - just try for the most minimal bowtie you can get and still get good fire in the color you like.The optimal ratio is a matter of personal preference. I have a friend who wants an oval and complains that she sees too many with "big shoulders" or ones that are too chubby, etc. Hope this helps,lawmax

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry-shouldn't post while distracted!
smile.gif
lawmax

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Well, Lawmax, you could but then you'll need red-face icon:
redface.gif
Just kidding
smile.gif
Jim, I think you know what you are looking for. Hence you just need to inquire from reputable and knowledgeable vendors with reasonable prices.We've tried to outline the buying strategy at www.pricescope.com/isitsafe.asp Keep posting - we'll be glad to help.Leonid

Quack

Rough_Rock
Thanks to you both! You are right, I have been doing my research. I will use all your suggestions.I do have some other questions as it relates to the bow tie. Does a higher quality color (D,E,F) show more dark contrast verses a near colorless (G,H). Also, the length to width ratio of 1.33 - 1.66 seems large. What ratio is optium? Does this relate to the amount of bow tie?Thank you,Jim

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Lawmax, I suspect Jim has already seen AGA charts - the table and depth he specified above are for AGA 2B class.
smile.gif
Jim, Lamax is right, the best would be to eyeball several diamonds alive. Otherwise, follow David Atlas charts and inquire crown and pavilion angles (depths) too.Good idea also to send the stone for independent expert analysis to David Atlas, AGA. Some vendors will agree to do it before you pay for the stone.As for the price indication, perhaps you already compared prices for your parameters and check the price stats?Leonid

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jim,You can check out the charts on www.gemappraisers.com for the best idea on well-cut fancy shapes. Fancy cuts are harder to determine by the numbers alone than rounds and should really be seen. No ideal cuts have been determined for fancy cuts as yet, but Dave Atlas at gemappraisers offers the best ideas.Good luck,lawmax

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results