shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I am in the market for an oval diamond. I have found a diamond with the following:2.01ct, D color, SI1, Depth 66.9%, table 56%,Measurement 9.29x6.98x4.67mm It has a GIA report. The report mentions surface graining. Is this bad?? The cost is $12,000.. Any comments on this stone and price??
Please advise.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Abbott

This diamond looks like it would be an AGA 3A class diamond. Which is average for the U.S. market but is not great. This is mostly due to the large depth of 66.9%. Also you want to verify that the depth is not due to a shallow crown and deep pavilion, which is common. With a shallow crown and deep pavilion on a 66.9% depth you would find a rather lifless diamond with a fairly dark bowtie, and the diamond would look smaller than a better cut 2ct oval.

Also, this diamond is within the recommended lenth to width ratio of 1.33:1 to 1.66:1 but it is on the chunky end.

But, remember that with fancy shapes, the AGA recommendations are only recommendations and you will need to view the stone yourself to decide whether you like it or not.

The price of a 2ct D/SI1 AGA 3A oval on pricescope ranges from $13k to $18K with an average of $15K. Not sure if that helps on price.

Note: I am still a rookie also so make sure to get advise from the experts:)

cadman

Rough_Rock
I've done a ton of research on ovals in the last few months. Ovals are very hard to buy. I will mention the the lenght to width ratio of your stone is 1.33 which I think looks fine but others prefer longer shaped ovals. definitly dont go below 1.33 but really 1.33 does not look to bad (again my opinion). The thing that concerns me is the large depth on your oval. I would reccomend 63 or 64 as the deepest you would want to go. More than that and you will have a 2 ct the looks like a 1.5 and doesn't reflect light correctly.

Good luck, I hope I was helpful.
Cadman

abbott

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Cadman, Will you share some of results of your research??
Price, etc. Did you buy a oval diamond?

cadman

Rough_Rock
Well, Abbott, there is a lot to discuss in regards to ovals. The bottom line on anything you find is to see it before you buy it, or make sure that the vendor has a return policy if you are buying off the web. Why? Because you might find an oval with the most perfect numbers possible, but the stone could have zero fire (reflection) or a nasty looking bowtie which makes the diamond look dark in the middle. So verify the brilliance before you buy is my first advice. Next buy a GIA certified stone with good numbers. Depth = 59-63 table 57-60 lenght to width ratio between 1.33-1.45.

I hope this gets you started. There pricescope.com will be your best resource on the web.

Good Luck.
Cadman

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results