Pirateemotion

Rough_Rock
upload_2019-5-10_23-17-52.jpeg

2.22 carat
I
VS2
Excellent polish and symmetry
62% table, 62.9%depth

What do you think of the above light performance on that ASET? Is this a good stone and what value would you put on it?

Looking forward to any feedback!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to see more photos. I am not disliking it so far.

Pirateemotion

Rough_Rock
Those are the only images I have at the moment - the specs on the above diamond check all my boxes. Now as I’m reading up on ASET and high performance diamonds, I am more uncertain.

How does that ASET look and what does it say about this diamond’s performance?

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
You see all that white? You do not want to see white. You want lots of red, some green and a little blue. It is badly cut and will not perform well. Give us a budget and we'll find you a beautiful performing oval.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oval asets are not pretty (unless its an August Vintage Oval). I think its a fairly normal aset for an oval. Not great but not bad either. You have to
remember that asets are a 1 time static shot. Doesnt show what happens when the stone moves. Your aset looks like a computer generated aset if
I'm not mistaken. Your stone looks to have a pretty wide area of nice facets through the center. Cant really tell if it has nice facets headed towards
the more pointed ends. All and all I would say its not a bad stone. Anyway you could see it before its mounted to check the light return and to see
if you're good with the "I" color?

Its really nice to see videos of the stone at an angle. If you have a link to the stone (put stone on hold) with a video, please post.

For value, you can check for similar stones at Bluenile, b2c, and enchanted diamonds.

FYI...what I try to look for in an oval...
Try to find centers that look more like round brilliants (nice facets headed in all directions).
big area oval.PNG
As the stone turns you should see more nice facets "light up" down towards the pointed ends (in the red area).

marked oval.PNG

You have looked at August Vintage Ovals correct? The easiest way to say what to look for is to find one that looks as close as possible to an August Vintage
Oval (or just get an August Vintage Oval).
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/collections/opulence

Pirateemotion

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a stone in the 15k range with very similar to the above specs. I settled on the color I since I feel like that can get me to that 2.2 - 2.3 carat range. Am I off here?

Is the above stone a great value at that 15-16k price point or can I do a lot better?

I also really want to avoid a bow tie and this stone does not have a visible one.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Run of the mill ovals show saturated color at the ends of the stone (those leaky areas). With any fancy cut the MOST important C - is CUT! You asked about performance - no - this is not a performer. Please do search out august vintage ovals on youtube as well as the previously linked site.

Pirateemotion

Rough_Rock
I do understand the light performance now and the leaky white areas are not good. With that said, Can I get a high performing oval diamond 2.2-2.3 I VSI for 15k?

There is nothing on August Vintage in that range as of now.

Please advise.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you contact Rhino/Jonathon at AVInc, he may be able to sort out a custom cut stone for you :)

The AV ovals are night-and-day different (and better in terms of light return) than standard ovals, like you have here, but it is a different look. If you prefer the 'classic' oval cut, that is fine, but you must buy in the awareness that it may not be as bright/sparkly as cuts specifically designed for best light return.

IMHO the ASET in the OP is pretty good for a 'classic' oval.

Pirateemotion

Rough_Rock
I guess I am in the market for a “classic” oval although now I do see the considerable difference between that and an AV.

For a classic oval, is this a good stone or could I do better in that 15-16k range?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm afraid I have to get off the screen and do something today :lol: so I can't have a look right now, but we can usually seek out some good options given a little time ;-) :)

FWIW Jonathon at AV can also do a diamond concierge service, whereby he finds great options for you to consider - there is a cost to this, of course, but he has a great eye and might well be able to access stones that aren't yet on the other vendors' radars/websites.

This is probably a great example of a nicely cut classic oval from Rhino - it's an MMD so we can't talk about it in this section of the forum, but it shows what he can find!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxQhn4uH9i5/

Pirateemotion

Rough_Rock
Thank you, rocky - I am looking for a classic oval, so any direction as far as specs or general advice within that 15k range for the stone would be great.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, rocky - I am looking for a classic oval, so any direction as far as specs or general advice within that 15k range for the stone would be great.

This is a good video to see the comparison of an okay market oval versus the AV oval. Editing is a bit messy.. but here you see the stones side by side.

Do reach out to Jonathan. He has access to more that what you see online.

Pirateemotion

Rough_Rock
Anyone with AV experience know what the price point would be for one of Jonathan’s ovals in that 2.2-2.3 carat I VS1-VS2 range?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone with AV experience know what the price point would be for one of Jonathan’s ovals in that 2.2-2.3 carat I VS1-VS2 range?
Does he not have anything in that size/color online to check? Reach out to him if not, he's really nice and won't be upset if you don't end up purchasing. From my experience he's happy to help and ansswer questions.

Pirateemotion

Rough_Rock
No comparables available as of now. Generally how do the AV’s compare in price to their classic cut oval counterparts?

Pirateemotion

Rough_Rock
Also, any other feedback on the diamond I listed initially? How does it look for a classic oval?

Price is $15,411.

Dimensions are 10.11x7.44x4.68

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Your "classic" oval cut serves one purpose only.. and that's finger coverage. Due to the cut, they leak light and they concentrate color on the ends of the stone. With "Classic" ovals if you don't want to see color - you need G or better. I am color-sensitive so would require F or better. However, I wouldn't buy a "classic" oval. I have many oval colored stones - so it isn't the shape. It's the "classic's" poor performance as a diamond. No, I would not pay $15K+ for a poor performing stone. My 2 cents.

Pirateemotion

Rough_Rock
Totally understand, but she wants an oval, unfortunately, so if I give her a round diamond and explain to her I had to nix the oval due to “leaky light” and “poor performance” that will not go over well.

I’m getting an oval and more than likely it is going to be a classic cut one - just want some help....

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Totally understand, but she wants an oval, unfortunately, so if I give her a round diamond and explain to her I had to nix the oval due to “leaky light” and “poor performance” that will not go over well.

I’m getting an oval and more than likely it is going to be a classic cut one - just want some help....

Has she seen - in person - any ovals? Has she tried them on? Please contact Jonathan aka Rhino. He'll do you right.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A really wish this was spinning on the long end, but this has potential. The video spins crazy fast on my screen, so I'd love to see better shots of the inclusions. The ASET is a bit better than the one you posted in that particular position.
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/v/2Z050Z681

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results