shape
carat
color
clarity

oval diamond questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dokmu

Rough_Rock
i found an oval diamond with an egl-usa certification:

weight: 1.62 ct
measurements: 8.82 x 6.62 x 3.89mm
depth: 58.8%
table: 61%
crown: 14%
pavilion: 36.4%
girdle: thick to very thick faceted
culet: small
polish: very good
symmetry: very good
clarity: VS1
color: G

does this look like a good quality stone to anyone out there who might be an expert on ovals? i saw it, and it looked great, but it''s also only one of 2 ovals i''ve ever seen (doesn''t seem like many jewelers carry them). is there anything in the specs that cries out as being really off? i''ve been looking for months (mostly online), so any help would be much appreciated. it''s very difficult finding any comprehensive guidance for anything other than round diamonds. thanks for your help!

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2009 9:06:53 PM
Author: jet2ks
The first post in this thread is helpful for initial screening of fancy shapes

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/guidance-by-parameters-initial-screening-tools.118881/

After that, fancies need to be evaluated either in person or with high quality photos and ASET images.
Ditto Jet.

Also I would suggest looking at as many ovals as possible so you know exactly what type appeals to you. I would also invest in an ASET scope to take with you while shopping, this would be incredibly helpful. These scopes are easy to use and to interpret the results with a little reading.

Also I would look for diamonds with GIA reports as EGL are said to be less strict in some circumstances - although EGL USA are thought to be the strongest EGL lab. This link explains how the grading labs rank. If you decide this diamond is the one, then make the sale final on it checking out to your satisfaction with an independant appraisal and get this agreement in writing. Here is a tool you can use to find an independant appraiser in your area.

A few guidelines with ovals.

Use the chart Jet posted as an initial screening tool but if you find an oval you love which doesn't quite match up thats ok. Ovals will often show a bow tie, this is a dark area across the diamond which is literally shaped like a bow tie. Sometimes they can be minimized but not altogether, it can be a challenge to find an oval which doesn't show any bow tie.

dokmu

Rough_Rock
thanks for the help! much appreciated.

dokmu

Rough_Rock
the price I''ve been quoted is $7k. does that sound too good to be true? that''s why I was worried that one of the above measurements might jump out at an expert as being way off. thanks again!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/7/2009 8:10:29 PM
Author: dokmu
the price I''ve been quoted is $7k. does that sound too good to be true? that''s why I was worried that one of the above measurements might jump out at an expert as being way off. thanks again!
EGL are typically cheaper than other lab graded stones, an independant appraisal is essential to make sure you are getting what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results