shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Diamond Opinion - GIA Report, ASET Image, Photo & Video

nikolanottesla

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I'm in (what I hope to be is) the final stages of selecting an oval diamond for an engagement ring and have just ordered one for review. The specifications look promising, falling within the ideal range for table, depth, length-to-width ratio, with excellent symmetry and polish.

I've included a video of the stone (accessible here: https://www.whiteflash.com//loose-diamonds/2.72-carat-d-color-vvs2-clarity-oval-lab-sku-266610) and believe it exhibits a good appearance with minimal bowtie effect. However, I'd appreciate assistance in confirming this aspect, as I find it somewhat challenging to assess visually.

Additionally, I'd like a second opinion on the ASET image provided by the vendor. Before making my decision, I'd greatly appreciate input from those more proficient in interpreting ASET images to assess the stone's light performance.

Thank you all in advance!

WF 2.72 ASET.jpg

WF 2.72.jpg

WF 2.72 GIA Report.jpeg

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Min Bow tie confirmed.
Neat thing about WF is you can ask them to pass it around and get different takes on it and report back to you.

nikolanottesla

Rough_Rock
Min Bow tie confirmed.
Neat thing about WF is you can ask them to pass it around and get different takes on it and report back to you.

Thank you for your response, Karl.

The diamond is currently in transit to me and I've arranged to meet with a local jeweler for a discussion about a custom setting and an in-person assessment once it arrives. If I end up being less than satisfied, my intention is to return it and continue my search. My reason for seeking opinions from the members of this forum is to gather as much information as possible about this particular offering as I'm relatively new to the world of diamonds and I'd like to be well-informed before personally inspecting it.

Do you have any insights or opinions regarding the ASET image and the stone's light performance?

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the ASET and video show a high level of potential.
Well above average and worth spending time with in different lighting conditions to see if it sings to you.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PriceScope!
Nothing to add since Karl gave you some great advice.
Your username is amazing!

Screenshot_20230929-221947-362.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You dont always get a "true" assessment by taking a stone to another jeweler. Most jewelers want you to buy from them so some
will talk the stone down and tell you it's not up to par to try to get your business. Just be aware.

For me...a nice oval has to have good facets (as in well-defined facets that return light) pointing towards the North and South
rounded ends as the stone is rotated. Its hard for me to "catch" them in the cutting tool but here is where I'm talking about
marked in green. If you just watch the stone rotating you will see "good" facets in this area.

2 oval.png

Versus a stone like this that only shows "mushy" gray facets in that area.

oval 3.png

nikolanottesla

Rough_Rock
You dont always get a "true" assessment by taking a stone to another jeweler. Most jewelers want you to buy from them so some
will talk the stone down and tell you it's not up to par to try to get your business. Just be aware.

For me...a nice oval has to have good facets (as in well-defined facets that return light) pointing towards the North and South
rounded ends as the stone is rotated. Its hard for me to "catch" them in the cutting tool but here is where I'm talking about
marked in green. If you just watch the stone rotating you will see "good" facets in this area.

2 oval.png

Versus a stone like this that only shows "mushy" gray facets in that area.

oval 3.png

Thank you, tyty333 - that's a very helpful set of criteria for assessment.

I fully understand the concern that a jeweler or diamond vendor might downplay the stone to persuade me to reconsider. In fact, I previously posted this same assessment request on Reddit (which I've since deleted), and I received feedback from two diamond vendors who mentioned that the stone seemed relatively average, had some light leakage issues, and that the ASET image lacked significance without backlighting. This underscores why I'm reaching out for a wide range of opinions from numerous enthusiasts and experts to ensure I make a well-informed decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results