shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval diamond black crystal/spec ok or pass?

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi! We’ve been through so many diamonds and finally found one I love the size, the ratio!! Color and sparkle however it does have some flaws as it’s SI1 it has a black speck
I know we could get a better clarity like vs1 but it would be way more expensive

Would this be a deal breaker ?

Thank you!
7ED52998-178C-4DA0-9EE3-0D55023A999C.jpeg

Attachments

• 420161E2-8C41-4B63-9797-0D0F75E93AAD.jpeg
    420161E2-8C41-4B63-9797-0D0F75E93AAD.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 1C9B40E4-E9D1-444D-94B4-50C6E07E7635.jpeg
    1C9B40E4-E9D1-444D-94B4-50C6E07E7635.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 39
  • BADF0B38-1E0E-4197-ADA3-00AC7964C70D.png
    BADF0B38-1E0E-4197-ADA3-00AC7964C70D.png
    905.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
What? I can barely even see it under huge magnification.
I think that's a really nice oval with a unique identifier found only with, what 10x? 30x? I'd buy that in a heartbeat, but you have to get what you're comfortable with.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
What? I can barely even see it under huge magnification.
I think that's a really nice oval with a unique identifier found only with, what 10x? 30x? I'd buy that in a heartbeat, but you have to get what you're comfortable with.
I just posted another picture that I had gotten off the Internet when it was available online to show where the spec is thank you so much!

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Everyone has a different threshold for both clarity and color. Does it bother you? Is it very noticeable in normal viewing?

The color is actually great it faces up White
I had a G vvs2 1.7 carat but I traded it in for wanting something bigger . When it’s next to a colorless time and you can tell the difference but when it’s by itself you can’t this picture is in more yellow light.
I guess I’m wondering more about the spec I was hunting for the intersection and I found it but when I first looked at the diamond I couldn’t see it

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a video of this stone on-line?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you see it with your naked eye at your normal viewing distance? And if you can does it bother you?

There is always a compromise with diamonds. Size, cost, inclusions. Only you can say what compromise you are okay with!

Personally I don’t really care about inclusions if I can’t see them with my naked eye.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Can you see it with your naked eye at your normal viewing distance? And if you can does it bother you?

There is always a compromise with diamonds. Size, cost, inclusions. Only you can say what compromise you are okay with!

Personally I don’t really care about inclusions if I can’t see them with my naked eye.

I don’t know if this is normal but since I was specifically looking for the inclusion I was able to find it it looks like a little black dot I don’t know if that’s still considered I clean but it took me a while to find it and the other jewelers said that they can’t even see it but I don’t know if it’s just because they’re trying to sell me a diamond lol

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t post a video

That's ok...I was looking for a vendor video not a personal video.

Are you talking about this inclusion circled in blue?
Screenshot 2024-03-07 172701.png

How big is this stone (carat)? I can tell you what the general "theory" is on Pricescope. For engagement rings, most
people want stones that are eye-clean. Once you know the location of an inclusion your eyes tend to automatically
go to it. Not sure I would trust the opinion of the jeweler that is selling you the stone (YMMV). Its really up to you
as far as what is going to bother you (or not). If it bothers you now it will probably only bother you more in the
future. If it doesnt bother you, then you're good.

We all have budgets we have to deal with. Sometimes, something has to give when you want a larger stone.

How do you feel about the light return on this stone? Can you post the GIA report number?

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
That's ok...I was looking for a vendor video not a personal video.

Are you talking about this inclusion circled in blue?
Screenshot 2024-03-07 172701.png

How big is this stone (carat)? I can tell you what the general "theory" is on Pricescope. For engagement rings, most
people want stones that are eye-clean. Once you know the location of an inclusion your eyes tend to automatically
go to it. Not sure I would trust the opinion of the jeweler that is selling you the stone (YMMV). Its really up to you
as far as what is going to bother you (or not). If it bothers you now it will probably only bother you more in the
future. If it doesnt bother you, then you're good.

We all have budgets we have to deal with. Sometimes, something has to give when you want a larger stone.

How do you feel about the light return on this stone? Can you post the GIA report number?

Yes that’s the one I’m talking about! So it’s a clean and inclusion you can’t see or an inclusion that you can easily see?Oh I hope not! I didn’t notice it but then I found it I haven’t been back yet it’s a 2.63 carat B1432C34-997B-4A12-88F9-DE5DDB37AF73.jpeg

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes that’s the one I’m talking about! So it’s a clean and inclusion you can’t see or an inclusion that you can easily see?Oh I hope not! I didn’t notice it but then I found it I haven’t been back yet it’s a 2.63 carat B1432C34-997B-4A12-88F9-DE5DDB37AF73.jpeg

It is great it sparkles really nice

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go visit and spend some time with it. Look at it in different lighting. See if you can "unsee" it or if your eye just goes right to it every time.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Go visit and spend some time with it. Look at it in different lighting. See if you can "unsee" it or if your eye just goes right to it every time.

Good advice my husband went since it’s 45 m away he stopped on his way home he says he sees it and can’t see past it. Another worker there mentuoned how if we want to sell in future it would be hard to

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
What about these two?
Left is a I color SI1 1.59 ratio 2.20 carat
Right is a G color vvs2 1.50 rario 2 carat 436A2E75-F7C3-49CF-ABAB-18A30E135FD4.png

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about these two?
Left is a I color SI1 1.59 ratio 2.20 carat
Right is a G color vvs2 1.50 rario 2 carat 436A2E75-F7C3-49CF-ABAB-18A30E135FD4.png

These both have fairly noticeable bow tie effect. But we need to see video to judge more effectively.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Can’t figure out how to post a video? The website doesn’t have them up since I have them pull aside but here’s a couple more pictures C3811A82-D112-4941-858E-B07534CFBBD8.png

Attachments

• 34A2BA52-5DB7-48E5-879D-2041CC70DCCD.png
    34A2BA52-5DB7-48E5-879D-2041CC70DCCD.png
    1 MB · Views: 3

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post a video on imjur or YouTube and then post the link here

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know if this is normal but since I was specifically looking for the inclusion I was able to find it it looks like a little black dot I don’t know if that’s still considered I clean but it took me a while to find it and the other jewelers said that they can’t even see it but I don’t know if it’s just because they’re trying to sell me a diamond lol
There is no "normal".
There is no "considered eye-clean".

People vary. Vision varies. Minds vary.

Vision varies among individuals.
Vision also varies in each individual as they age.
Vision also varies with how recent their glasses' prescription is; everyone's eyes continuously deteriorate with age - usually slowly when young and faster when older.

Besides the biology behind a person being able to spot the dot, everyone's mind varies too.
Among those who can spot the dot, some will decide it doesn't matter, while others will reject the diamond.

All this is okay.
Some people simply must have a D IF.
And they do not have to be a member of culture/country X Y or Z to justify it out of wokeness.
Often I read here that's insisting on a D IF is okay in Japan, but not in America.
Pfffft!

PS has some of the best-informed diamond lovers.
After 20 years here I'd say the largest group here feels ... "If you can't see the difference, don't pay the difference".
Still, after getting thoroughly educated, if someone still wants to pay for things their biology can't perceive, then I say, bless their hearts.

There's nothing wrong with getting advice and opinions, but in the end you must make your own decision on this black crystal.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Since your husband could not see past it, the original diamond is probably a no-go for mind clean reasons.

Mind clean is a real thing. Not to hijack your thread but here is a story. I had a VS2 round with a black inclusion on the table. At 40x the inclusion looked yucky. When I got the diamond, it was awesome - had fluorescence that looked almost turquoise. I could find the inclusion at 10x but only because I knew where it was, and it still took a bit of looking. At 10x, the inclusion was a tiny grey blur. Could not see with the naked eye at all. But I could not get the ugly inclusion at 40x out of my head. So I upgraded. Point of the story is don’t settle. Another point is watch the videos, and look to see whether the inclusion is visible from a ninety degree view to the side of the surface of the facet. Those types of inclusions might bother you more than others.

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here’s a video of the 2.63 I

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Since your husband could not see past it, the original diamond is probably a no-go for mind clean reasons.

Mind clean is a real thing. Not to hijack your thread but here is a story. I had a VS2 round with a black inclusion on the table. At 40x the inclusion looked yucky. When I got the diamond, it was awesome - had fluorescence that looked almost turquoise. I could find the inclusion at 10x but only because I knew where it was, and it still took a bit of looking. At 10x, the inclusion was a tiny grey blur. Could not see with the naked eye at all. But I could not get the ugly inclusion at 40x out of my head. So I upgraded. Point of the story is don’t settle. Another point is watch the videos, and look to see whether the inclusion is visible from a ninety degree view to the side of the surface of the facet. Those types of inclusions might bother you more than others.

No I appreciate all feedback truly thank you! I think I was sooo excited to find such a big rock my ideal ratio 1.54 within the budge at the end I did see the spec I also didn’t see it in other lighting I’m a little bummed since I’ve seen so many ovals are hard.

Any thoughts on the 2 carat I also posted?

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Can you put the stone on hold so we can see a direct link?

I can’t they company took it down I would have to return but I posted gia report and a few videos up top

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t they company took it down I would have to return but I posted gia report and a few videos up top

Those videos you took are not good for analyzing the cut of a stone. Too far away, arent moved the way we like to see them moved,
and too short to be useful.

We want to see videos like this...up close where we can turn the stone and watch how the facets react.

My advice...look for a 6 main or an 8 main stone with the arrows going through the center of the stone. They are both
few and far between but in general, tend to have better light return in my experience. A 4 main may also interest you.
What you are looking at are 8 mains offset from the center of the stone. That is what creates the V cut outs on both
sides (which turn dark in bright light).

You can see how many mains a stone has by looking at the pavilion view clarity plot on the GIA report.

Here is a 6 main stone (ignore color, clarity etc...just look at faceting pattern)

8 main with arrows going through the center of the stone

Here is a good looking 8 main with the arrows offset from the center.

You want to see the facets under the table flashing on and off as you slowly rock the stone. There are "mushy" areas
in most ovals. They are grayish and the facets are not very well defined. For 8 main offset stones, the brown area is where
you have to worry about mushy facets.
marked up.png

For example, this stone has too much mush (leakage)
oval 3.png

This stone has distinct facets that will flash as the stone turns
oval.png

Hope this helps!

BTW...are you working with a company that is on-line? If so, we can see what that vendor has that looks good if
you give us your desired specs/budget.

Attachments

• arrows going straight across.png
    arrows going straight across.png
    365.2 KB · Views: 6

alexeliass

Rough_Rock
Trade
Those videos you took are not good for analyzing the cut of a stone. Too far away, arent moved the way we like to see them moved,
and too short to be useful.

We want to see videos like this...up close where we can turn the stone and watch how the facets react.

My advice...look for a 6 main or an 8 main stone with the arrows going through the center of the stone. They are both
few and far between but in general, tend to have better light return in my experience. A 4 main may also interest you.
What you are looking at are 8 mains offset from the center of the stone. That is what creates the V cut outs on both
sides (which turn dark in bright light).

You can see how many mains a stone has by looking at the pavilion view clarity plot on the GIA report.

Here is a 6 main stone (ignore color, clarity etc...just look at faceting pattern)

8 main with arrows going through the center of the stone

Here is a good looking 8 main with the arrows offset from the center.

You want to see the facets under the table flashing on and off as you slowly rock the stone. There are "mushy" areas
in most ovals. They are grayish and the facets are not very well defined. For 8 main offset stones, the brown area is where
you have to worry about mushy facets.
marked up.png

For example, this stone has too much mush (leakage)
oval 3.png

This stone has distinct facets that will flash as the stone turns
oval.png

Hope this helps!

BTW...are you working with a company that is on-line? If so, we can see what that vendor has that looks good if
you give us your desired specs/budget.

Gosh so much great information I will have to reread a few times! Lol

Yes we had a ring trade in so I’m buying from here
I’m trying to go for bigger size 2carat+
Ratio of 1.50-155 ideally 1.54

Not a lot of warmth

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results