shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Diamond Advice

kyle4x

Rough_Rock
Hi! Any advice would be much appreciated. My search consists of 2-2.30ct oval with a ratio of 1.48-1.50. My focus is on minimizing bow tie as much as possible and maximizing sparkle/light return. I currently have this diamond of recent purchase but want any advice on overall opinion of the diamond and if I can find better based on proportions, etc that fit my search while in the return window. Link and photos attached. Thanks in advance!
https://www.ritani.com/products/2-1...m_source=1356641&utm_medium=affiliate&irgwc=1
IMG_1753.jpeg IMG_1746.jpeg IMG_1751.jpeg IMG_1749.jpeg IMG_1750.jpeg IMG_1743.jpeg

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
What is your budget? What did you pay? It looks like a nice performing oval with no bow tie which is the main thing! Do you like it... seeing it in person?

Be sure to look at it in different lighting environments.

If you check YT for Rhino's School of Rock Jon has several videos on vetting oval diamonds. www.distinctivegem.com

Do you have to have D VVS2? An E or F VS1 will be just as nice and less expensive. I like the higher crowns on ovals and yours is 15% which is hard to find. Even a VS2 can be eye clean.

Scroll down to see these stones. If you click on the IGI pdf you can see the inclusions marked. But ovals hide inclusions well. Thus a nice VS2 will be totally eye clean. No need to over pay for the higher clarity.

These are all larger than your 2.15c

2.4 to 3.0 carats

2.44 D VVS2. Nice high 16% crown!

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks beautiful. I vote to keep it.

kyle4x

Rough_Rock
What is your budget? What did you pay? It looks like a nice performing oval with no bow tie which is the main thing! Do you like it... seeing it in person?

Be sure to look at it in different lighting environments.

If you check YT for Rhino's School of Rock Jon has several videos on vetting oval diamonds. www.distinctivegem.com

Do you have to have D VVS2? An E or F VS1 will be just as nice and less expensive. I like the higher crowns on ovals and yours is 15% which is hard to find. Even a VS2 can be eye clean.

Scroll down to see these stones. If you click on the IGI pdf you can see the inclusions marked. But ovals hide inclusions well. Thus a nice VS2 will be totally eye clean. No need to over pay for the higher clarity.

These are all larger than your 2.15c

2.4 to 3.0 carats

2.44 D VVS2. Nice high 16% crown!

Hi! Budget is $2,200, but cheaper if in my search criteria is obviously great. I paid $2,150 for this stone. I do not have to have D/VVS2 and was just looking for something in the criteria of 1.48-1.50 L/W ratio F/VS1 or better and as minimal to no bow tie as possible with excellent sparkle/light return, but was recommended this one from a concierge. (Also prefer the smaller cuts than diamonds with larger cuts especially as it moves towards the center). I am a little iffy on the bow tie in this stone although I see you say there is none. I mainly refer to the first and second pic I posted of the diamond as it is the first thing I noticed was the center area and to me seems somewhat rather prominent to me. I know it’s nearly impossible to eliminate the bow tie in the oval and the oval is the only shape she loves.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Budget is $2,200, but cheaper if in my search criteria is obviously great. I paid $2,150 for this stone. I do not have to have D/VVS2 and was just looking for something in the criteria of 1.48-1.50 L/W ratio F/VS1 or better and as minimal to no bow tie as possible with excellent sparkle/light return, but was recommended this one from a concierge. (Also prefer the smaller cuts than diamonds with larger cuts especially as it moves towards the center). I am a little iffy on the bow tie in this stone although I see you say there is none. I mainly refer to the first and second pic I posted of the diamond as it is the first thing I noticed was the center area and to me seems somewhat rather prominent to me. I know it’s nearly impossible to eliminate the bow tie in the oval and the oval is the only shape she loves.

In your usual lighting environments, how prominent is the bow tie to your eyes (not on camera)?

kyle4x

Rough_Rock
In your usual lighting environments, how prominent is the bow tie to your eyes (not on camera)?

Honestly, the exact same as what you see in the first two photos.

kyle4x

Rough_Rock
Ah, got it.

What do you think of this one?

From the video it appears to have rather large cuts in the upper half. Otherwise it looks good from the video. It’s hard to tell what to really look for in videos. Are you able to give your opinion of the current one from the video and photo I linked in the initial post and maybe what to look for in a stone with less bow tie and great light return/sparkle online if even possible?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the video it appears to have rather large cuts in the upper half. Otherwise it looks good from the video. It’s hard to tell what to really look for in videos. Are you able to give your opinion of the current one from the video and photo I linked in the initial post and maybe what to look for in a stone with less bow tie and great light return/sparkle online if even possible?

I try to avoid stones with mushy areas and look for good light play as the stone moves.

This is a little over your budget, but I trust stones that have been picked out by Jon (Rhino).

https://www.distinctivegem.com/coll...ct-e-vs1-cherry-picked-lab-grown-oval-diamond

kyle4x

Rough_Rock
If it fell within the 1.48-1.5 ratio I would reach out about it.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it fell within the 1.48-1.5 ratio I would reach out about it.

I would reach out anyway and ask if he has stones within your parameters that aren't listed on his website yet.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
The "bow tie" in your pictures seems very tiny. So my first impression is that you do have a great oval.

But the question is ...are the small dark obstruction facets on the belly turning off and on as the stone moves?? If they are just sometimes dark, then IMO you have a nice oval. No bow tie ever is like a needle in a haystack to acquire unless it is custom cut.

If you are super picky, then you will have to pay the extra price for someone to source you an oval with no "bow tie".

I've watched multiple oval vetting videos by Jon at Distinctive Gem lately. Trying to "pick his brain" for what prevents a bow tie in ovals based on numbers and videos. It seems to have something to do with the "crown angle". He "seems" to like it at a 35 degree crown angle. [If he reads this he might be laughing right now]

[He even has a cherry picked oval on his sight that has a bow tie and you can see it in the ASET as the belly facets show up blue in the ASET.]. He even has a video on that same diamond. I think it is 2c.]

So just maybe, the crown and pavilion angles for a great MRB might be helpful in also picking a great oval. Just GUESSING!

Ovals have become super popular in the last couple of years, so the mystery still exists as to how to pick an oval with limited knowledge of just the numbers on a cert and a video. I like the N/S videos for that better than the E/W videos.

See my Avatar of my marquise? It is cut like an old cut marquise with chunky faceting, and has a medium culet. When it is in the N/S position no bow tie. When I turn it E/W those belly facets turn off and on...sometimes obstruction sometimes none. Therefore I need to set it N/S.

You really need to have the source ordering the stone to ask the original vendor BEFORE THEY SHIP IT if the stone you want has a bow tie in any lighting environment.

Jon also states you have to take it out in day light and look at it in that lighting as that is when a bow tie will really be evident.

So take this stone outside and report what you see.
If you return it, on your next stone have them ask the vendor before they ship it to take the stone out in daylight to see if it has a bow tie when outside.

With the low prices lately, I started looking at a huge number of oval videos and certs. I finally found ONE that appeared to have no bow tie at all in the video, no obstruction at all across the belly as it turned, and the crown angle was higher than 35 ...it was 36.7. So I think it is just a cr@p shoot for buying generic ovals.

I also saw another marketing video where the stone they picked had a bad bow tie but in the video it looked perfect as if NO bow tie at all. Then the jeweler sourced a stone for them that had no bow tie. But you have to be willing to pay the price to have it sourced.

My daughter has a new earth mined 4c oval ring and it has NO bow tie at all. This amazing oval was sourced by a brick and mortar jeweler so her fiancé did a great job. But I'm sure the price reflected it.

Let us know what you decide to do with your oval. It really does look like a good one for a generic oval.

Hopefully, someone with more experience at picking ovals will add their words of wisdom to this discussion!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results