shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval cut - Do good, very good, ideal exist?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No wonder I was confused about ovals! Since I have so many trained eyes in this thread,could anyone weigh in on these ovals?

Trade is not allowed to comment on stones unless its for educational purposes.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@tyty333 makes a great point.
Based on my experience here- and in the "real world" of diamonds.... @tyty333 ( and a group of other seasoned members) is someone who's spent more time than pretty much any trade member I know assessing diamonds online. These are actually "internet professionals" in a sense. They are utilizing the best information possible given the limitations of the internet.
Things like ASET can be seen as essential, to assess diamonds online.
I have one.
I would never consider using it to assess a stone which I'm holding in my hands.
Without a doubt ASET, and other tools like it can give a seasoned internet professional the ability to pick out a certain type of stone with pretty good consistency.
But the entire system is designed to reward one specific sort of cut style.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@tyty333 makes a great point.
Based on my experience here- and in the "real world" of diamonds.... @tyty333 ( and a group of other seasoned members) is someone who's spent more time than pretty much any trade member I know assessing diamonds online. These are actually "internet professionals" in a sense. They are utilizing the best information possible given the limitations of the internet.
Things like ASET can be seen as essential, to assess diamonds online.
I have one.
I would never consider using it to assess a stone which I'm holding in my hands.
Without a doubt ASET, and other tools like it can give a seasoned internet professional the ability to pick out a certain type of stone with pretty good consistency.
But the entire system is designed to reward one specific sort of cut style.

ASET is NOT "designed to reward one specific sort of cut style". It is designed to provide information on how the diamond, any diamond, is handling light.

Different cut styles will have distinctive ASET signatures.

Saying you would never use your ASET if you were holding the diamond in your hands is just silly. It's like saying you would never look at the car's speedometer if you can see out the windshield.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@brucie1855 I am not happy to comment about videos showing diamonds mainly backlit [I wrote as much elsewhere]; please note the high fluorescence of the D - something I do like too much & is widely disputed!

brucie1855

Rough_Rock
@brucie1855 I am not happy to comment about videos showing diamonds mainly backlit [I wrote as much elsewhere]; please note the high fluorescence of the D - something I do like too much & is widely disputed!

Is that an issue with the quality of the vendor? Or just the way they do videos?

Reactions: AV_

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ASET is NOT "designed to reward one specific sort of cut style".
To save me the time- and I ask with all due respect- did I actually write that?

Saying you would never use your ASET if you were holding the diamond in your hands is just silly. It's like saying you would never look at the car's speedometer if you can see out the windshield.

I don't know that I wrote that ASET was designed to reward something.
But for sure, it's far more intuitive to interpret an ASET for a round brilliant than an Oval Modified Brilliant.
Furthermore, a really nicely cut OMB will result in a different sort of Light performance offered by the best Oval Brilliant.
The OMB features less contrast- yet far more sparkle events- in totally random timing. For me, judging them requires a different concept for each.
Kind of like comparing two cuts of beef.
Filet Mignon versus Ribeye. You don't expect them to taste the same.

In any event- it's easy to understand why we have different viewpoints on ASET usage.
The fact that you guys sell Super Ideal rounds- yes of course ASET is essential in that regard. Like your speedometer analogy.
The OMB is more like a roller coaster. Who cares how fast your going, it just feels so good.
For the type of stones that I look at on a regular basis ( mainly FCD's) ASET is simply not relevant.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@brucie1855 I have not paid much attention to this type of video, they feel unnatural, since diamonds will never be lit from the pavilion more strogly than from the front, ever again. Of course, almost all videos of unset diamonds everywhere show the stones more strongly lit from behind than they would be in settings, but most wish to show brilliance, so there is relatively more light infront; all in all, I ever try to read through the light environment [more or less in the way ASET shots are meant to be read] & find this type of video particularly annoying - so I did not spend any time with them.

I can think of a few good reasons to take videos of diamonds this way [no glare, less confusion about brilliance or patterns of contrast thereof since neither shows at all, inclusions show very clearly as if in transmitted light], so I would not hold the choice of videography against the seller.

On another hand, I am intrigued by how GIA 'Strong' fluorescence looks in the video of the D you have posted, so I will likely pay attention to them in the future [I have often mentioned that I love the look of blue fluorescence & nearly all other sellers do not show it at all - not least because it is not easy]; this video makes the 'strong blue' look like texture [white wash], which is not common IRL & discounted for [I will not agree with this market position.]

2p

brucie1855

Rough_Rock
@brucie1855 I have not paid much attention to this type of video, they feel unnatural, since diamonds will never be lit from the pavilion more strogly than from the front, ever again. Of course, almost all videos of unset diamonds everywhere show the stones more strongly lit from behind than they would be in settings, but most wish to show brilliance, so there is relatively more light infront; all in all, I ever try to read through the light environment [more or less in the way ASET shots are meant to be read] & find this type of video particularly annoying - so I did not spend any time with them.

I can think of a few good reasons to take videos of diamonds this way [no glare, less confusion about brilliance or patterns of contrast thereof since neither shows at all, inclusions show very clearly as if in transmitted light], so I would not hold the choice of videography against the seller.

On another hand, I am intrigued by how GIA 'Strong' fluorescence looks in the video of the D you have posted, so I will likely pay attention to them in the future [I have often mentioned that I love the look of blue fluorescence & nearly all other sellers do not show it at all - not least because it is not easy]; this video makes the 'strong blue' look like texture [white wash], which is not common IRL & discounted for [I will not agree with this market position.]

2p

Interesting. Thank you for the response. I'm not sure that I can spot fluorescence. Alas both of the stones I was asking about are sold, so I am back to the drawing board.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From a recent search over Blue Nile for sport, two stones caught my imagination for their cut: www & www Obviously, Blue Nile thinks they are (not) 'Good' - on account of their greater depth, then again, AGS Ideal models also are deep - such proportions allow brilliance, sure enough.

that second oval is a stunner

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results