shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Advice - Ritani 3ish ct

anonymoosemcgee

Rough_Rock
Good Afternoon All,

This forum has been great for helping me research / design an engagement ring! I have finalized a custom design with Ritani (18k twisted gold bank with round/marquise floral like sidestones). It also has a platinum setting (I liked the prongs blending into the center stone).

I'm now on the hunt for that center stone.
Preferences:
2.75ct+ (more than likely right around 3)
Color: D,E,F (maybe G, I see mixed opinion with some saying it's a good value, but I feel like it should probably be colorless).
Clarity: VVS2 or better
Research says ration should be 1.4+
Research also says HPHT in lieu of CVD
Budget for the center stone 3K-ish (2500-3500 preferred but if something is slightly outside that then it's doable).

If you could help me with a ring. I try to see the bow-tie that everyone talks about but sometimes I feel like I see it and other times people reference the bow-tie and I don't notice it at all so I'm worried I'll somehow miss it.

Thank you all!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
The prices are sometimes influenced by the supplier. Ritani buys from numerous suppliers.

Ovals are harder to pick than RBs bc you rely less on proportions. Personally I like the second one more bc seems to have less crushed ice (but that's a personal preference).

Are you going to get an ASET or Idealscope? Those help the most when judging light return.

anonymoosemcgee

Rough_Rock
Thanks @0515vision
I asked about ASET / Idealscope and Ritani said they don't have that / unable to provide. The second on is above my price range that I wanted to pay. I was hoping to stay under $4k for the center stone.

@DejaWiz would you be able to help me out. I've seen your recommendations and this they are all phenomenal. It'd be so appreciated!

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked out WhiteFlash? You have a healthy budget and they have some lovely stones. I’m not an expert, but I know they usually have ASET/IS and the sales reps are good at looking at stones and vetting them according to your specs. They’ll give you a good in-person review of the stone.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
An Idealscope is $25. You could get the second stone and take pictures at home. I wouldn’t rule out the other stone. It’s just hard to tell bright crushed ice from mushy crushed ice on those videos (at least to my eye.)

Lately ppl have been using Loose Grown Diamonds, and they seem to have great prices. Have you checked them out?

Do you want the setting to be done at the same time? With a stone of that size, I would personally buy it loose, inspect it at home, and then send it to a trusted jeweler (eg, David Klass, CVB or a brick & mortar jeweler). Some of these online sellers don’t have the best craftsmanship.

Also are you on a particular time frame?

Excited for you!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Not an oval expert but just chiming in to say that I recently purchased an oval in your price range so it seems doable, may just have to search a bit. My preference for ovals is the DE range as they seem to show more color to me and I love the way a white oval looks (I will say that I also love warmer colors and have had and loved diamonds ranging from H- L, this is just my preference for ovals) and if you are open to CVD or VS clarifies you'll have more options. Mine is a 2.79 E VS1 (GIA/CVD) and I don't see any inclusions - only a bright white beautiful diamond (I have a post on it if you're interested). Also agree with previous posters that ovals are harder to pick because the videos/proportions don't really point to what you'll see in real life, particularly when it comes to the bowtie. Also, some people love the crushed ice that ovals can come in while others don't prefer it. What's your preference?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results