shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval 5-stone help please and thank you :)

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! I am planning a 5-stone shared prong north/south-set oval anniversary ring (finally - the plan was originally to do this for 10th anniversary but it was 2020 and we all know how that went, haha).

I need it to be practical for everyday wear. I'm not irresponsible, but I don't have time/brain space to baby my jewellery - once it's on my body that tends to be it

My questions pertain specifically to the N/S shared prong setting (I am not interested in a bezel setting):

1. With the girdles of ovals in this orientation protruding more, do I need to take girdle protection into account when choosing a setting? I am guessing if the girdles are more exposed the risk of scratching stuff is higher too.

2. Is a closed basket shared prong going to give me the lowest profile that will follow the curve of my finger best?

3. Are there alternative settings that would be a feasible option given that it needs to be "durable enough" for everyday wear? Whilst it would be nice to have a pretty gallery view, for me the top-down view and practicality (given constant wear) would trump a beautiful gallery.

4. Is there a real-world impact of choosing 18ct WG over platinum in a shared prong setting, in terms of the security of the stones? If the prongs are "pinched in" more to show off the scalloped edge, will this compromise the security of the setting?

Thanks so much! Pic is of a sample CZ ring to give an idea of what I am wanting... stones will be roughly 3.7mm width/1.5tcw, finger size 5. (NB crappy edited pic, this was a 7 stone I was trying on and I've done a quick and dirty job of editing out the stone at the side of my finger!!) IMG-20240227-WA0003.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
When you say “once it’s on that’s it” do you mean you want to wear it 24/7?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say hi and welcome back @pancake!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
When you say “once it’s on that’s it” do you mean you want to wear it 24/7?

I might take it off at night if it gets in the way, but I guess I more meant that I'm unlikely to take it off during the day unless I am eg kneading dough or making meatballs

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to say hi and welcome back @pancake!

Hello hello hello! How lovely to see old PS friends still here enjoying the community and their lovely bling ❤️ How are you? I think I've had a couple more kids and birthed a PhD thesis since we last conversed!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think those super low, closed basket mounts will be most suitable for what you are after. I don’t think I’d worry about the girdles, they will be faceted in modern stones and pretty hardy. That said I personally would take the ring off at home as washing dishes etc would be a higher risk activity with diamonds unless you opt for a bezel or six prong mounting that offers more protection. Making meatballs is probably the safest activity you could do wearing bling lol But it wouldn’t be so costly to replace a damaged stone so maybe it won’t matter to you.

I don’t think there’s much difference between plan and gold for something like this.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello hello hello! How lovely to see old PS friends still here enjoying the community and their lovely bling ❤️ How are you? I think I've had a couple more kids and birthed a PhD thesis since we last conversed!!!

I'm well thank you! My son is 11 and my daughter is 8 now, good times.

You're amazing! I'll always remember and greatly appreciate your sound newborn advice! How many babies have you now??

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I'm well thank you! My son is 11 and my daughter is 8 now, good times.

You're amazing! I'll always remember and greatly appreciate your sound newborn advice! How many babies have you now??

3 girls now! They are 12, 9 and 4. Life is total chaos and I find the very different developmental stages really keep my on my parenting toes, but we are all well and the girls are lovely. I remember our baby discussion days so fondly!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results