shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval 2.36 ct spessartite in a 3-stone platinum setting

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
About 6 months ago I discovered this lovely ring at my favorite local jeweler. Having never seen a spessartite anywhere in any store, I was thrilled to finally see one in person. Apparently they had the platinum setting already and happened upon a spessartite that fit it well. I raved about the ring to DH but made it clear that this sort of thing is more suitable to a BIG birthday and I don't have one of those coming up for several years. I'd only seen the ring under store lighting so I'd had no chance to examine the diamonds or the color of the spess, for that matter.

Fast forward 6 months to our anniversary and DH surprised me with it. He wasn't taking that much of a risk. I'd tried it on (numerous times :saint: ) and knew that the size and proportions were perfect on my hand. On to the pictures. Specs to follow.

Spess three stone hand shot.jpg

Spess 3stone closeup.jpg

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Now to the specs which I have courtesy of Jeff Averbrook of Metro Jewelry Appraisers - the ring came with no certs! :o Jeff was great and I'll post a separete thread in RT to give him the kudos he deserves.

Oval spessartite: 2.36 ct, 7.77 x 6.70 x 4.49 mm
medium orange color

Both diamonds: .84 tcw
Average measurement of each: 4.94-4.87 x 2.71 mm
Clarity: VS2
Color: H-I

The good news: we got a great value on the ring and it appraised for a good bit more than we spent for it.

I was especailly eager to talk to Jeff about the diamonds. My first take on them was: :(( Then, after living with the ring for a while I came around a little but also had the impression that one was better cut than the other. Jeff confirmed this, noting that one is more shallow than the other, which you can clearly see in the attached profile pic. To my eyes, the shallower one is much less lively. Jeff didn't think the quality of the diamonds was worth fretting over - that they are well matched, etc. I'm toying with the idea of replacing that diamond, but I'm not in any hurry to do so.

As for the spess, it's definitely got some brown in it so does not qualify as the Fanta orange color that is so desirable. But I think it's just swell and is plenty orange for me. :bigsmile:

Spess 3stone profile.jpg

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Both diamonds look great in direct sunlight. (The spess usually does too, but not in this pic).

Spess 3stone hand with fire.jpg

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Here's a close-up of the shallow diamond. I wear the ring with the better diamond facing me and all is right with the world.

Spess 3stone shallow diamond.jpg

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
A close-up of the better diamond.

Spess 3 stone good diamond.jpg

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Last shot - my first flower shot!

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'd also like a plain platinum band to wear with it and I'm torn between spending my money on that and saving up to replace Mr. Shallow. I wonder if the other diamond will start to look bad if I replace the other one with something decent!

Spess 3stone with hydrangea.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it and it is wonderful on your hand!

I think I would either replace both diamond (making the two you have into earrings or some other piece you will not wear as often) or else simply try to find a second stone that matches the better diamond in the present ring -- no super perfect, just a little better. I actually would go back to the jewler you bought from and ask about trading in the shallow one if you want to do it al all?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I think it's pretty and looks great on.

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty! The construction looks well done!

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Congrats on your anniversary!! What an awesome husband you got there!! May you have many more anniversaries to come!! Enjoy your gorgeous ring!!

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Dreamer, I am loving the finger coverage. :naughty: That's good advice. I may just replace the one and I've been rehearsing in my head what I'll say to the jeweler. I don't want to offend them since they hand-picked these diamonds themselves. I'll explain how OCD I am about diamonds and am thinking about replacing one of the side stones and would they be willing to help me set the new one since the setter did such a nice job, etc.? Then I'll say gee, I really have no use for the replaced diamond, could you use it and would you possibly be willing to trade? We got such a good deal on the ring that I would never expect them to just find me a new diamond in a one-for-one trade. But you never know...they may want to keep a loyal customer happy.

Thanks, Oddoneout and Redhead!

Luckyshe, thank you. I do have a terribly awesome husband.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results