shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval 1 carat in the $4k range. What else?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

birmingham

Rough_Rock
Below is what I have gathered. I will be going to take another look, and talk more with the jeweler. What else would one suggest I look into in order to find the best diamond (technically) for around $4k?

Shape: Oval
Carat: 1.07
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Depth: 62.3%
Table: 59%
Grade: GIA
Price: $5500

I am under the impression that the jeweler could come way down on this diamond (in terms of the $5500 compared to the net searches I''ve done).

Thanks for any help...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out gemappraisers.com and looked at the chart? Yours might be a teensy deep....but it looks like I'd definitely give it a try...Have you seen in? I'd love to know the crown info but not every vendor can give you the info....is it a local vendor? Do you like the lenght to width? You can play with that on gemappraisers too!
1.gif
p.s.- I love the F si1 combo!!

birmingham

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 7/27/2004 2:02:17 PM moremoremore wrote:

Have you checked out gemappraisers.com and looked at the chart?
Yours might be a teensy deep....but it looks like I'd definitely give it a try...
Have you seen in?
I'd love to know the crown info but not every vendor can give you the info....
is it a local vendor?
Do you like the lenght to width? You can play with that on gemappraisers too!
1.gif
p.s.- I love the F si1 combo!!----------------

I just checked gemappraisers.com. Very informative. I am dealing with a local vendor that has been acquainted with our families for years. He seems to provide me with every bit of information I want...except wholesale price.
1.gif

I have seen the diamond. We sat down and compared it to a D SI2 1.01 (EGL, w/less polish & sym, faint fluorescence) & not as pleasing of a shape. Without looking at specifications or price, we separately picked the F SI1.

$5500 is the asking price, and I haven't begun to negotiate. I think I have a very nice diamond, but I want to know what I have to work with. In other words, if the diamond is legitimately priced at $5500*...or if there is a lot of room to give.

Here is the updated information:

Shape: Oval
Carat: 1.07
Color: F
Clarity: SI1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Depth: 62.3%
Table: 59%
Dimensions: 7.82 x 5.86 x 3.65
Girdle: Slightly Thick
Crown: "between 31%-34%" **
Fluorescence: None
Cullet: None
Grade: GIA
Price: $5500

*Claimed it would go for $8k or $9k in a "wealthier area"
**Can have it measured for me, 31-34% based off eyeball test

birmingham

Rough_Rock
After doing a Pricescope search, I find a diamond with the EXACT same features: 1.07 Oval F SI1

...and when I say exact same features, I mean to the "T". Is this possible?

The price on it is $4614. I have been offered the same diamond for $5500.

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/27/2004 6:10:51 PM birmingham wrote:

After doing a Pricescope search, I find a diamond with the EXACT same features: 1.07 Oval F SI1

...and when I say exact same features, I mean to the 'T'. Is this possible?

The price on it is $4614. I have been offered the same diamond for $5500.----------------

Yes, it is possible. This just means the vendor you originally worked with does not own the diamond in-house and is accessing a database/list of diamonds available elsewhere.

I'm not a diamond expert, but I believe any vendor has access to this database/list, and can drop ship a diamond on the list to you.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
Go fo the $4614 one, then you can spend more on a killer mounting~!
naughty.gif

birmingham

Rough_Rock
Do diamonds come with a universal stock #?

She likes the diamond, wants a solitaire setting...haven't made up my mind between white gold and platinum. All things considered, would anyone care to suggest what their next step would be?

Mention to the dealer that I saw a diamond of the same specifications on the net for X amount of dollars?

Thanks for the input. This site/forum has definitely helped out.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
The stone is identified by its GIA cert number. Like katbadness said, jewelers have access to a database that we don't...just b/c they don't own a stone doesn't mean they won't post it for sale...they can get it on memo....that is what your jeweler did and that's what the online jeweler did...If your guy is a real B&M...his prices are higher to cover his overhead...I would get a print out and show your guy...or go with the cheapest place. I do qualify that by saying that I am willing to pay a little more for service and a goode upgrade policy...but not a grand more...Where is the stone listed online? I really like Whiteflash's upgrade and return policy and I love GOG who I am using b/c of the amazing service and upgrade..it's worth it to pay a tiny bit more...

birmingham

Rough_Rock
Here is the site with the matching stone: Union Diamond Corp.

Service is a major factor. The store has been the primary jeweler in the town for 80+ years, and the current owner has served both of our families for years.

Since we have been acquantinces for years, I want to negotiate politely. If it's probable that $5500 is good deal (coming from his end), then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results