carat
color
clarity

Outdoor grilling/cooking.....

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I know some PS'er, grill outdoors, all year long. And although we've had a very mild winter where outdoor grilling was possible, I've just gotten back into the swing of things.

So this thread is all about how you cook outdoors, what you cook outdoors and your favorite grilling recipes. In fact, just tell me everything you do! :lickout: :bigsmile:

I am also looking for the "best" cookware for your grill. I can't decide between ceramic, cast iron, etc.

I even cook breakfast outside! Do you?

cheers--Sharon

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE my bbq. Mostly because it means less dishes hehe.

A few weeks ago we actually bbq/smoked some ribs that were de-licious.

One of my favourite recipes (actually Hs) is bobby flay 16 spice chicken - either of these are TDF
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/sixteen-spice-smoked-chicken-recipe.html dry
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/bourbon-bbq-chicken-with-sixteen-spice-rub-recipe.html saucy

But if we are grilling, we usually just do the whole meal anyways. you can grill any veggie, almost any fruit, little cast iron desserts are so delicious with some ice cream (I usually just make a crumble, can use literally anything).

This is making me hungry now :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We grill outdoors all year long. Lots of fish and veggies. Red peppers, sweet onions, portobello mushrooms, butternut squash..you name it we (Greg) grill(s) it. (Almost) Everything tastes better grilled. :appl:
It is all simply prepared. Extra virgin olive oil is the main ingredient. The main thing is for everything to be fresh. If it's fresh it will be delicious. I'm not the chef so don't really know more details but happy to ask Greg if you have specific questions. :bigsmile:

Q

Queenie60

I grill most meats outside. We have a gas bbq and it works well as I am the one who does all of the cooking, even outdoor cooking. Do not have time to wait for coals with my busy life. I use a grill basket for vegetables and small things such as prawns. Also bought a stainless steel rack at Bed Bath & Beyond last summer and it works great for fish. I have a rotisserie attachment and enjoy making chicken on that. Delicious! I am going to try a large cut of beef or pork on the rotisserie this summer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a photo of the BBQ grill Greg built in 2002. We had to leave it behind when we moved in 2011 but Greg will be building another and better one to replace it. :appl:

_3194.jpeg

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At home I do charcoal BBQs all the time, my specialty is honey soy chicken wings with a smokey flavour from Hickory wood but I'm not prejudiced - I'll cook anything on it.

When I'm in the wilderness we build a rotisserie over our fire and dig up wild yams if we can. We do whatever we have caught on the rotisserie and wrap the yams in foil and throw them on the coals. We usually carry potatoes in case we can't find yams but that doesn't happen too often.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The garden is a jungle, and I have not cooked outside in the garden since 2010 (it is not the same without my late partner).

I love BBQ, and have a Weber One-touch Platinum 57cm charcoal grill outside.

When I go camping, I carry a Weber Go Anywhere charcoal grill. I also have a 2-burner Coleman Dual Fuel stove for non-BBQ cooking.

I make my own beef burgers and marinades for BBQ meats such as boneless pork shoulder steaks or belly slices; pork or lamb ribs; chicken thighs and wings (not keen on drumbsticks), diced lamb for kebabs etc...

I also love BBQ'ing Frankfurters and Bratwursts etc., score them first and brush with my BBQ marinade while being grilled.

I would vacuum-pack the meat in single portions before freezing them, and take a selection when I go camping.

I like to have a vegetable kebab or two with grilled meat, usually with onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, courgette and aubergine. And half a sweetcorn, all brushed with my vegetable marinade which is also my home-made salad dressing.

If there is room, dessert is a few toasted marshmallows.

When not BBQing, I can cook a nice meal on my double burner stove, cous cous with pan-fried Chorizo sausages; Haggis with veg and cheesy meshed potato; stir-fries with rice or noddles; steak (I do not like cooking a steak on the BBQ, prefer using a frying pan); various pasta etc... Mainly on days when the weather is colder and wetter like in winter/Easter and not favourable for BBQing.

I eat very well when I go camping for certain.

DK :))

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We grill all year. Jd is out there even if he has to scoop a path thru the snow. We don't really do like actual recipes. He gets steak or burger, shakes seasonings over and then puts it on the grill. One thing we love to do tho..we get little potatoes (I forget what kind) and cut them up really small, then onion, peppers, carrots, corn seasonings and put it in tinfoil on the grill. It's awesome.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We grill all year round,

Marinade for Tuna and salmon

Soy sauce with ginger and spices. If sword fish, orange juice, ketchup and that makes a great marinade. Lemon juice over coooked fish..

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our last house had a covered back porch and we grilled year round. Our new house has a deck and it gets slick and we get wind out there so now we grill when it's warm and not windy.

DH has quite a few different metal pans for grilling veggies on the grill. He uses olive oil on them and seasoning. I love baked potatoes cooked on the grill - crispy skins and well done inside. We grill all sorts of meat on the grill. I also like it reduces the number of dishes to clean up afterwards too.

Marcy

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
packrat|1461112693|4021427 said:
We grill all year. Jd is out there even if he has to scoop a path thru the snow. We don't really do like actual recipes. He gets steak or burger, shakes seasonings over and then puts it on the grill. One thing we love to do tho..we get little potatoes (I forget what kind) and cut them up really small, then onion, peppers, carrots, corn seasonings and put it in tinfoil on the grill. It's awesome.

He sounds a lot like me, I'll do a charcoal BBQ in pouring rain and 40 mile per hour winds!! :bigsmile:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grill all year round. First path is to the grill, 2nd path is to the hot tub :lol: I have priorities!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've made pizzas, brownies, banana bread, all kinds of stuff, on the grill. For baked items, I just used metal loaf or 8x8 pans. I put the pizzas right on the grill. We use the tinfoil packet method for veggies, too. I've used those grill baskets with long handles before and we still have some but I hate using them because of the cleanup involved after.

Oh, grilled pineapple! You HAVE to try it if you haven't already. I add it to veggie kabobs sometimes if I don't have an entire pineapple and it's just us. Otherwise I core the pineapple and skewer long pieces (about 2"x6"). Soooo delicious.

Sharon, I think cast iron is nice to have for outdoor use. It performs great in a grill and it just seems more outdoors-y and rustic, ya know? If you drop it on a patio or in a parking lot tailgating it's also not going to shatter.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1461160970|4021634 said:
I grill all year round. First path is to the grill, 2nd path is to the hot tub :lol: I have priorities!

But what about the tiki bar??? :naughty: Is it next to the hot tub?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1461101829|4021377 said:
I LOVE my bbq. Mostly because it means less dishes hehe.

A few weeks ago we actually bbq/smoked some ribs that were de-licious.

One of my favourite recipes (actually Hs) is bobby flay 16 spice chicken - either of these are TDF
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/sixteen-spice-smoked-chicken-recipe.html dry
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/bourbon-bbq-chicken-with-sixteen-spice-rub-recipe.html saucy

But if we are grilling, we usually just do the whole meal anyways. you can grill any veggie, almost any fruit, little cast iron desserts are so delicious with some ice cream (I usually just make a crumble, can use literally anything).

This is making me hungry now :lol:

I don't know where in Canuk-land you live, but there are a couple of BBQ Galore stores in ON. Anyway, they have funny newsletters and I just got one...they also include recipes and crumble was one of them!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1461103863|4021392 said:
Here's a photo of the BBQ grill Greg built in 2002. We had to leave it behind when we moved in 2011 but Greg will be building another and better one to replace it. :appl:

I need one of these...but alas my DH is not a builder..or a BBQ'er! :bigsmile:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Queenie60|1461102905|4021386 said:
I grill most meats outside. We have a gas bbq and it works well as I am the one who does all of the cooking, even outdoor cooking. Do not have time to wait for coals with my busy life. I use a grill basket for vegetables and small things such as prawns. Also bought a stainless steel rack at Bed Bath & Beyond last summer and it works great for fish. I have a rotisserie attachment and enjoy making chicken on that. Delicious! I am going to try a large cut of beef or pork on the rotisserie this summer.

I applaud your effort to use a rotisserie--I am TOO LAZY to set it up and clean it! :lol: I just use a grilling rack for chicken--and everything else! (or sometimes I use the corning wear casserole dishes I got as a wedding gift--they STILL work well!)

cheers--Sharon

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1461166587|4021678 said:

I applaud your effort to use a rotisserie--I am TOO LAZY to set it up and clean it! :lol: I just use a grilling rack for chicken--and everything else! (or sometimes I use the corning wear casserole dishes I got as a wedding gift--they STILL work well!)

cheers--Sharon

When we're out in the bush we make our own out of twigs and sticks, it takes about as long to make as some rotisseries take to set up but the best part is no clean up, it just goes into the fire once we're done :bigsmile:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1461167206|4021688 said:

cheers--Sharon

When we're out in the bush we make our own out of twigs and sticks, it takes about as long to make as some rotisseries take to set up but the best part is no clean up, it just goes into the fire once we're done :bigsmile:

I do not have your ingenuity or your fortitude! BTW, when you are out in the bush, do you encounter spiders, snakes, and other creepy crawly creatures?? DON'T ANSWER THAT! :lol:

cheers--Sharon

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1461165879|4021669 said:
I don't know where in Canuk-land you live, but there are a couple of BBQ Galore stores in ON. Anyway, they have funny newsletters and I just got one...they also include recipes and crumble was one of them!
I'm out west!

Crumble = lazy persons dessert, which is definitely me. So easy!

I just remembered, the last time I was camping with my aunt, she made us Eggs benedict ON THE BBQ. How fricken cool. We also made pizzas as well. They are hard core outdoor cookers :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1461167509|4021692 said:
canuk-gal|1461165879|4021669 said:
I'm out west!

Crumble = lazy persons dessert, which is definitely me. So easy!

I just remembered, the last time I was camping with my aunt, she made us Eggs benedict ON THE BBQ. How fricken cool. We also made pizzas as well. They are hard core outdoor cookers :lol:

Eggs benny--that is enough work on my stove!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
canuk-gal|1461167407|4021690 said:
jordyonbass|1461167206|4021688 said:

cheers--Sharon

I do not have your ingenuity or your fortitude! BTW, when you are out in the bush, do you encounter spiders, snakes, and other creepy crawly creatures?? DON'T ANSWER THAT! :lol:

cheers--Sharon

Yeah but we aren't too worried about them, I can out-walk the creepy crawlies pretty easily - even crocs aren't that much of a concern if we're both on dry land. My biggest concern with the creepy crawlies is picking up a piece of firewood that just happens to be a King Brown snake after a small incident about 5 years ago where that actually happened.

Big buck roos, 200lb+ boars and dingoes (or wild dogs as we call them) are my main concern out in the bush as I cannot outrun those animals. Especially the wild dogs, I've seen them do some pretty attacks on hunting dogs :(sad

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1461161110|4021637 said:
I've made pizzas, brownies, banana bread, all kinds of stuff, on the grill. For baked items, I just used metal loaf or 8x8 pans. I put the pizzas right on the grill. We use the tinfoil packet method for veggies, too. I've used those grill baskets with long handles before and we still have some but I hate using them because of the cleanup involved after.

Oh, grilled pineapple! You HAVE to try it if you haven't already. I add it to veggie kabobs sometimes if I don't have an entire pineapple and it's just us. Otherwise I core the pineapple and skewer long pieces (about 2"x6"). Soooo delicious.

Sharon, I think cast iron is nice to have for outdoor use. It performs great in a grill and it just seems more outdoors-y and rustic, ya know? If you drop it on a patio or in a parking lot tailgating it's also not going to shatter.

Yanno, I have a cast iron skillet. I should just repurpose it for outdoor use..it won't know the difference!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1461121098|4021487 said:
Our last house had a covered back porch and we grilled year round. Our new house has a deck and it gets slick and we get wind out there so now we grill when it's warm and not windy.

DH has quite a few different metal pans for grilling veggies on the grill. He uses olive oil on them and seasoning. I love baked potatoes cooked on the grill - crispy skins and well done inside. We grill all sorts of meat on the grill. I also like it reduces the number of dishes to clean up afterwards too.

Marcy

Gosh, I am too lazy (and usually cold) to stand outdoors to cook. My neighbors pull their BBQ next to the door, but me...nah.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1461161110|4021637 said:

Oh, sure I'll try that. There is usually some left over from the pina colada's! :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1461110392|4021421 said:
The garden is a jungle, and I have not cooked outside in the garden since 2010 (it is not the same without my late partner).

I love BBQ, and have a Weber One-touch Platinum 57cm charcoal grill outside.

When I go camping, I carry a Weber Go Anywhere charcoal grill. I also have a 2-burner Coleman Dual Fuel stove for non-BBQ cooking.

I make my own beef burgers and marinades for BBQ meats such as boneless pork shoulder steaks or belly slices; pork or lamb ribs; chicken thighs and wings (not keen on drumbsticks), diced lamb for kebabs etc...

I also love BBQ'ing Frankfurters and Bratwursts etc., score them first and brush with my BBQ marinade while being grilled.

I would vacuum-pack the meat in single portions before freezing them, and take a selection when I go camping.

I like to have a vegetable kebab or two with grilled meat, usually with onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, courgette and aubergine. And half a sweetcorn, all brushed with my vegetable marinade which is also my home-made salad dressing.

If there is room, dessert is a few toasted marshmallows.

When not BBQing, I can cook a nice meal on my double burner stove, cous cous with pan-fried Chorizo sausages; Haggis with veg and cheesy meshed potato; stir-fries with rice or noddles; steak (I do not like cooking a steak on the BBQ, prefer using a frying pan); various pasta etc... Mainly on days when the weather is colder and wetter like in winter/Easter and not favourable for BBQing.

I eat very well when I go camping for certain.

DK :))

You are SO organized! :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1461112693|4021427 said:

And it even taste good if some pieces get a little too crispy!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1461161966|4021642 said:
Arcadian|1461160970|4021634 said:

But what about the tiki bar??? :naughty: Is it next to the hot tub?

The bar is inside of the cape cod room...right before you get to the hot tub :lol:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We smoke and bbq. We have a Big Green Egg and we smoke all kinds of meat and fish on it. We have a pizza stone for it as well and homemade pizza is delicious on it. We have a weber gas grill and I will cook boneless chicken thighs and steak on it several time a week. I keep the fridge stocked with grilled chicken, and chicken sausages and slice tri tip or steak. It makes making a salad ( I pre-make that too)
for lunch or dinner really easy. I don't use many dishes on my outdoor cookers though. The pizza stone is about the only thing, maybe a few skewers.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OK, great replies! :bigsmile: :appl:

Sooo, question...what is the "best" way to cook corn on the cob on the bbq??

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results