shape
carat
color
clarity

Out with HOF, in with 2.113, I, VS2 Brian Gavin Blue w/ SBF

evansjm1

Shiny_Rock
So, my ring journey has unfortunately been pretty difficult over the last several years. Here's the story if you have time to read before getting to my new Blue...

My now husband proposed in Napa Valley around our two year anniversary in April of 2008 with a beautiful, custom designed platinum setting with 3-sided micropave & milgrain. It was also eternity and had embellished prongs. Basically the entire thing was diamonds. The main stone was a 1.62ct HOF, I, VS1. I do not think the designer realized this when making the ring but having the entire thing full of little holes seemed to make it even more malleable and within the first month of having it, the ring was shaped like an oval, the milgrain was all messed up on the inside of my hand, and I even broke one of the pave stones! Very upsetting for a newly engaged girl! I took it in to be repaired but quickly decided I should get a more durable setting for daily wear. I kept that setting and picked out a black pearl on our honeymoon to put in it and now wear that as a pendant.

The next setting was the HOF Felicity Ribbon setting (https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nothing-really-new-just-consolidating.112818/). All shared prong set this time and no diamonds on the inside of the band (3/4 around though). After having this setting since October of 2008, this summer I noticed that one of the first diamonds on the inside of the band was "dead". Unfortunately, the original jeweler I purchased it from was no longer in business so I took it to another authorized Hearts on Fire dealer in Chicago to help. They sent the ring back to HOF and called me shortly after to inform me that I not only had 1 broken stone, there were EIGHT cracked/chipped/broken stones :blackeye: To boot, the repair was going to be over $700. What was I going to do though? I sucked it up and had them fix it. After about 3 weeks of my ring being gone, I finally got it back in what I thought was "like new" condition.

Fast forward 3.5 weeks. I had been wearing my ring as usual and looked down one morning to see 3 of the newly repaired stones were MISSING :errrr: I had NEVER lost a stone before the repair. I also hadn't even left my house the day before I noticed the missing stones so it's not like I was doing anything unusual! Of course, I ran my butt back over to the authorized HOF dealer and they returned the ring to HOF for help.

After waiting another 2 weeks for information (and sending them all of my diamond/ring documentation immediately when requested), I was told that the ring was compromised by the original jeweler who sold it to me and was "beyond repair"! ;( I could not believe this. Basically, I was told I had to get a new setting...AGAIN. I honestly couldn't believe HOF acting like this and was totally furious with them. They returned the ring untouched and I went into the jeweler once more to look at various settings by Tacori & HOF as well as a potentially bigger stone (always dreamt of a 2ct) but PS has made me VERY picky and all of the stones I was showed looked too yellow to me....even a 2ct, I color HOF (which was the prettiest but I didn't want any more HOF stuff!) Setting-wise, I was really concerned with more pave or shared prong detail as you can imagine but I really didn't want to lose the detail. Sigh. I told them to send my ring BACK to HOF and MAKE them fix it.

After another week of waiting, I finally heard back that HOF was remaking me an entirely new version of my setting at no cost to me :appl: BUT, this still didn't change the fact that I felt very jerked around for many weeks AND am still concerned about the durability of the setting going forward. Thus, I still planned to change the setting. And if I am going to spend the $ to get a new "dream" setting, I also want my dream "stone". Oh my, brig project here we come. My poor husband.

After HOURS of browsing settings online, trying them on in stores, and changing my mind several times on what I thought I wanted, I fell in love with Michael M's R399 (http://www.michaelmcollection.com/Engagement-rings/Vercelli/default.asp?Style=R399). The store I tried it on at assured me that because the stones are channel & bezel set, they should be much safer than my previous settings. I am not in love with the bulky prongs at the top so they plan to thin them into double-claws for me when setting my stone.

Now some of you may have seen me looking for help on Rocky Talky trying to decide between stones. I originally wanted to go with WF because I had always wanted an ACA and really like their return/upgrade policy. But there is something about the Brian Gavin Blues that kept pulling me back in that direction even though BG seems a bit pricier. BG didn't have the exact size I was targeting (2.2ct) but did have a 2.113ct which I figured was close enough (until awful PS DSS sets in anyway, jk :tongue:). And even though I can get a 2.3ct ACA with the same specs and no fluor from WF for the exact same $, I just think there is something so special about the fluor....especially in an I color. I received the BG Blue this week :love: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...2.113-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104061006027

Wowza. I think it's the most beautiful stone I've ever seen and is SO white....a couple shades whiter than my grandmother's 1.09ct, F, VS2 that I have. I still am curious to see the WF one as it is .2mm bigger and the market says it is worth more but I honestly cannot believe how crisp this BG Blue is. Thus, first thing I did was....you guessed it....PHOTO SHOOT! I tried to catch some sun shots of the flour but it really isn't terribly noticeable to me (I was worried the SBF would make it too blue-purple in the sun). I actually think it is way prettier than my HOF stone which of course demands a ridiculous premium. Anyone who is considering a BG Blue....I assure you that you will not be disappointed. This one is spectacular.

Without further ado....here are the pics! Thanks for reading and I'll post again when the final product is complete :naughty:

Full sun....*hint* of the fluor to my eyes...
screen_shot_2012-10-17_at_5.png

screen_shot_2012-10-17_at_5_0.png

screen_shot_2012-10-17_at_5_1.png

screen_shot_2012-10-19_at_12.png

screen_shot_2012-10-17_at_5_2.png

screen_shot_2012-10-17_at_5_3.png

Seems to be reflecting my tan couch here...
screen_shot_2012-10-17_at_5_4.png

screen_shot_2012-10-17_at_5_5.png

screen_shot_2012-10-18_at_6.png

GLOWING!
screen_shot_2012-10-17_at_5_6.png

bgb_2012-10-08_at_9.png

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Out with HOF, in with 2.113, I, VS2 Brian Gavin Blue w/

Beautiful! I love how it glows!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful! Looking forward to seeing it in its new home!

starrynight

Shiny_Rock

Stunning! Love the blue!

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock

Ahhhh what a beauty! So white and crisp! ..and cool flouro shots! Plus its basically the same as the 2.2ct you wanted.. its the same size! So happy it worked out for you!! Looking forward to seeing it in its new home! :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The fluor is so cool!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful stone & great photo shoot! Blue is soooo cool :appl:

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock

Ohhh my, how fantastic!!!!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Very pretty!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

GORGEOUS stone, Jancaric!!! Looks like you made a perfect choice for your new setting - can't wait to see them both together.

I sure hope that its perfect and there are no issues with flaws or bending or damage! What a series of frustrations you've been thru! Fingers crossed there will be no more of that nonsense going on !!!

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock

Your stone is AMAZING!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: I am totally drooling over your second picture!!!! Congrats on such a gorgeous stone!!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very beautiful, and after that story, sounds like you are very deserving!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ahh, I wondered what you had decided! The diamond looks beautiful and I am happy for you to be finally getting a new ring! :appl:

evansjm1

Shiny_Rock

Thanks, everyone! It's definitely been an "exciting" journey but I'm happy to report that my new ring should be here on Thursday or Friday of this week! I can hardly wait :appl: Hopefully they are able to thin the prongs enough to my liking. Fingers crossed! More pics to come when it arrives :D

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock

Congrats!!! :appl: Can't wait to see it set!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful diamond!

evansjm1

Shiny_Rock

It's here!!! :appl: I REALLY hope 3rd time is a charm.

I'm still not in love with the prongs as each one seems to look different when looking top down. SO...I'm going to have to find a local jeweler to help me there -- anyone have a Chicago recommendation? :naughty: (The setting was actually ordered from a store in FL when I was there visiting my family but I'd rather not deal with all the shipping back and forth.)

Anyway, now what you really want....the pics :D

dscn2158.jpg

dscn2160.jpg

dscn2162.jpg

dscn2161.jpg

dscn2147.jpg

dscn2143.jpg

dscn2144.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous!!! :love: :love: :love: Are the prongs really bothering you? I would really be afraid to let anyone touch them other than the person who sold you the setting because if the second person messes them up, you'd be stuck. Tell the other jeweler they need to send you a FedEx shipping label so their insurance can cover the ring going back and forth. They need to cover the shipping if the prongs are uneven.

evansjm1

Shiny_Rock

Very good point, diamondseeker. I'm just worried that the bench people at that store may not have the skills to get them exactly how I would like. BUT, Brian Gavin said I can send it there and I would trust them so I may do that if I can bear to part with it. Not happening for a while though :lol:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

WOWEE!!! That looks HUGE on your teeny tiny fingers!!! Beautiful diamond - lets see the fluro shots now --- maybe some of the melee will 'light up' too!!

I agree, send to BGD to have the prongs adjusted, if after living with it for a while, you aren't happy. Don't mess with anyone you aren't comfortable with their skills --- I think you've "been there/done that", right? :wink2:

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock

Holy Huge!! :appl: Congrats! Looks so beautiful in your lovely setting. I would not touch the prongs, if its minor. But if it does bother you, I am sure Brian can fix it and make those pretty little claws :naughty:

Enjoy your big rock and new ring!! More pics please!!

evansjm1

Shiny_Rock

The fluor is much harder to photograph! A couple melee glow though...

dscn2171.jpg

evansjm1

Shiny_Rock

Haha, thanks all! For reference, my fingers aren't too tiny...I'm a 5. I think it looks bigger since the stone is set higher.

I will say, I love that it is pretty from all angles...I don't even feel the need to wear my wedding band with this one!

Happy Friday! :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous! That setting is really blinged out!!

evansjm1

Shiny_Rock
Well, I ended up unexpectedly upgrading this ring for a milestone birthday, 2 births, milestone wedding anniversary. :P2 Justified, right? Haha.

Put an OEC moissanite in the Michael M setting for travel/occasional wear and should receive that this week. Will let you know how it turned out.

As far as the upgrade, I will receive that one next week. Although I just received glamour shots so I’ll make another thread on it ;-)

evansjm1

Shiny_Rock
Here is the repaired Michael M setting with a 2ct OEC moissanite. Gosh I love this setting so much. I hope the upgrade project has me just as smitten. E85D38E4-3A20-494C-A9F1-F48A82C2182B.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results