shape
carat
color
clarity

Out of my league... ~0.9CT round diamond advice needed!

elguapo

Rough_Rock
I'm a long time lurker and first time poster of the Pricescope forum. I've been consistently blown away by how helpful and encouraging this community has been to so many of it's users. "Out of my league" refers to not only the ring search, but fortunately to my relationship as well. Therefore, I turn to YOU, the experts!

While I feel I have a fairly good grasp on what not to purchase, actually finding a stone has proven to be quite a challenge! No doubt my budget has played a role.

Budget: $4,000
Diamond: Round with a color grade no lower than I
Size: Hoping to be around 0.9CT

Setting: Classic solitaire look
Metal: White Gold
Size: 4.25
Prongs: No preference on 4 vs 6 prongs. Something along these lines.
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/ritani-1rz7286-solitaire-engagement-ring-4026.htm

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

elguapo

Rough_Rock
piano and flyingpig, I greatly appreciate your replies!

flyingpig, the James Allen stone you suggested was on my radar. Unfortunately, the stone does not exist in NY so is not eligible for IS/ASET images. Very disappointing as it has some potential..

The hunt continues... Any other finds for this e-ring would be greatly appreciated!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Elguapo,

While I cannot comment on any specific diamonds for which you are searching (forum rules) I am sure you will find a plethora of options :wink2:

As you decide on 6 prong vs. 4 prong - that is, in reality, purely a personal preference. Some people feel the 6 prong setting on a smaller diamond will make a diamond look slightly larger and on a larger diamond will make the diamond more secure by reducing the possibility of impacts on the edges of the diamond itself. Others like the 'minimal' look of a 4 prong. Whatever you (she) decides, as long as you get a well-cut diamond, the light performance will be fantastic in either setting.

elguapo

Rough_Rock
Thank your for the feedback Diamond_Hawk! Once I've narrowed down the stone list I'll be sure to post the settings we're interested in. Again, a huge thank you to the community for welcoming a newcomer with open arms.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you have good understanding in what you should look for (eg proportions, color, clarity).
Again, your budget and desired 4cs are perfectly reasonable. Unfortunately, 0.9 I~G color stones under 5k are very popular.
Even if I found a few and list them here, lurkers will snatch them in no time. It may do more harm than good.
With time and patience, you will find a perfect stone. Good luck.

elguapo

Rough_Rock
Thoughts on this particular diamond? Vendor does not have images which is certainly disappointing. We have no issue with the florescence assuming it is not cloudy. Would you purchase this sight unseen from a preferred vendor with a generous return policy? Very torn. Price is sub $3,400
diamond_73.jpg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No image hurts. Price is very good. GIA XXX, VS1 (no issue with eye-cleanliness. very safe bet in this regard), near super ideal proportions, potential AGS ideal. That spread is amazing; it is more like 0.95c
Assuming 1. no negative effect from Strong Fluo, 2 you know how to assess a diamond and/or assessment tool (idealscope) 3. and FREE RETURN, I would get it. I am sure if you can get it cheaper after PS discount.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it. It's a very nice stone. Vs1 is completely safe. And ask long as there is a bullet proof full refund return policy you are fine getting it in.

elguapo

Rough_Rock
Flyingpig and Gypsy,
Eternally grateful for the input. Order placed via B2C for 3,162.50. They're shipping it to NY to provide images. Now to find a solitaire setting...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make sure you ask them when it arrives if the fluorescence impacts the stone at all. In most stones it will not matter at all, and it has no negative effects. In some stones it can make them face up a bit whiter than the stated colour grade. But in a small number the stones can have a milky or weird look to them. I've seen one and it's like the diamond is straining to sparkle properly, like it's got an oily film over it that prevents it from being fully brilliant would be the best way to describe it and it isn't something you want in a diamond.

elguapo

Rough_Rock
Arkieb1,
I will certain do that. Reviews of B2C on these forums seem to be mostly positive so I'm hopeful they will be upfront about the stone in-person appearance. Piano, I believe you used B2C. Are you happy with your purchase and experience?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good choice. I knew it was from B2C. With that price and returm policy, you have nothing to lose except minor inconvinence if you happen to return. Amazing price and find.

piano

Rough_Rock
Super!
Well-done, m8

They were fairly easy to deal with, staff members were very nice.
Since they worked by shift so there was a minor miscommunication between me and morning-shift guys and night-shift guys but overall, they were great to deal with.
If you read my thread, you know there was a hiccup, not too big of a deal since it was straightened out in the end.

elguapo

Rough_Rock
Now for the really verdict...
I've received the images from B2C. What do we think?
120589__1_.jpg
120589__2_.jpg 120589__3_.jpg
120589__4_.jpg
120589__5_.jpg

piano

Rough_Rock
The first one and the bottom two are looking good but the middle ones look crappy, I am not even sure they are the same stone.

Also, from the first pic, it is surprisingly eye-clean, with that level of magnify, I do not see any inclusion.

elguapo

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the input, piano!
Not quite sue what to think.. As you stated piano, the top down images seem pretty decent. Not sure what to think of image #2. Is that image #5 with a bottom up light source? The hearts image has me slightly concerned but I agree that it is a clean looking diamond. Comparing the images, I do believe at least 4 of the images come from the same diamond. That hearts image has my untrained eye stumped.

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated as I near decision time.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
The diamond is a great choice. A good hearts image is notoriously hard to take, even for a super ideal diamond where the variance and tolerance for slight adjustments is very slim. Just ask Wink (vendor) about the problems they had in the first few years with hearts images for Infinity Diamonds, which are possibly the most tightly cut diamonds you can get.

That said, given the other images, the overall evaluation is that it's a good one.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
damn... nice fat arrows for 60/60. Usually, I see skinny ones in 60/60. No leakage, amazing spread, great contrast from fat arrows. :love:
B2C is not known for perfectly taken photos. Diamond photography is whole another topic and discipline. Even the ASET/IS is taken slightly tilted to 12 o'clock direction; still no leakage!!!. I would not worry about that hearts image, though I could be wrong.

Ask about any milkiness from strong fluo, and GO FOR IT! Seriously...

elguapo

Rough_Rock
I can not overstate how much I value all of your feedback. Ordered and on its way to BGD to be set in their white gold Classic tapered setting. My sincerest thank you!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
:appl: You did so well with your budget, congratulations! I'm sure she will love it and do please show us the final result!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
istase2000|1463179364|4031466 said:
:appl: You did so well with your budget, congratulations! I'm sure she will love it and do please show us the final result!

Ditto!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results