shape
carat
color
clarity

Ouros Jewels?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone purchased from Vijay at Ouros jewels on Etsy? I’m looking for an old mine cut lab diamond and it sounds like he can custom cut what I’m looking for. I know he sells moissanite as well under a different shop name. I’m wondering if anyone has purchased from him? I don’t want to get scammed.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a simple ring from Vijay and he's genuine. Not a scam. Just be clear about what you want and he's pretty thorough with the process. Just be mindful that postage out of India has slowed down because of their corona spike, so opt for Express with insurance/tracking.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm currently waiting on some wee little 3 pointers from Ouros, I can't wait to see what they look like!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have purchased earrings from him in Ouros as well as from his other shop.

Apart from requesting for push backs instead of screw backs, my experiences with custom works for a ring and a pair of earrings had been frustrating, with ping pong messaging, difficulties with interpretation of my requests etc., to the point when I decided enough was enough, and shelved both projects.

I had purchased cut Moissanites from his other shop, and am likely to purchase cut stones from both of his shop again.

However I am unlikely to go down the route of custom work of having pieces of jewellery made again.

I work better with some vendors than others, in that I click with some right away, whereas I find some hard work. Vijay is in the hard work camp unfortunately.

Based on personal experience and preferences etc...

DK :))

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have purchased earrings from him in Ouros as well as from his other shop.

Apart from requesting for push backs instead of screw backs, my experiences with custom works for a ring and a pair of earrings had been frustrating, with ping pong messaging, difficulties with interpretation of my requests etc., to the point when I decided enough was enough, and shelved both projects.

I had purchased cut Moissanites from his other shop, and am likely to purchase cut stones from both of his shop again.

However I am unlikely to go down the route of custom work of having pieces of jewellery made again.

I work better with some vendors than others, in that I click with some right away, whereas I find some hard work. Vijay is in the hard work camp unfortunately.

Based on personal experience and preferences etc...

DK :))

This has been my concern - just communicating with him in regards to fairly straightforward requests like loose diamonds, has not been without a few hiccups. If the quality of the melee I've ordered stacks up, I'll stick to him for loose diamonds and have my jeweller set them. He is very responsive and accommodating, but I probably won't go down the custom route for reasons you mentioned @dk168.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I have purchased a custom setting from Vijay. Very happy with the workmanship, although his yellow gold was a bit light to my eyes as compared to other YG in my small collection. I tried to get some lab FY melee from him but he said his lab can’t do yellow diamonds.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I received my parcel of 2.2mm lab diamonds (3pt each) from Ouros today, and they're really lovely. Very firey and appear to be well cut, I'm pretty happy! I had a play with them and my 5mm Finewater lab rubies, thanks to a little wad of blu tack I found. I think the proportions will work nicely for a pair of earrings.

20210626_011137.jpg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I received my parcel of 2.2mm lab diamonds (3pt each) from Ouros today, and they're really lovely. Very firey and appear to be well cut, I'm pretty happy! I had a play with them and my 5mm Finewater lab rubies, thanks to a little wad of blu tack I found. I think the proportions will work nicely for a pair of earrings.

20210626_011137.jpg

Looooooove it!!! Amazing!
Are you gonna use them with the Ruby? Or that was just for play purposes?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looooooove it!!! Amazing!
Are you gonna use them with the Ruby? Or that was just for play purposes?

Thanks lovely! Yep that's my plan. I originally had garnet studs in 3 pointer diamond jackets, I adore the look but the studs worn inside the jackets was a bit uncomfortable and bulky on my ear. I sold them both and decided to remake the look, but in a whole completed piece. I will eventually get Daniel M from Etsy to set them for me, he whipped up a CAD for me a while back, which I love!

andrea-layout (002).JPG

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks lovely! Yep that's my plan. I originally had garnet studs in 3 pointer diamond jackets, I adore the look but the studs worn inside the jackets was a bit uncomfortable and bulky on my ear. I sold them both and decided to remake the look, but in a whole completed piece. I will eventually get Daniel M from Etsy to set them for me, he whipped up a CAD for me a while back, which I love!

andrea-layout (002).JPG

It’s gonna be stunning! This is a super dumb question…. But how did you know how many mele diamonds to order to fit around the stone? This is something I’ve been wanting to do: order lab mele stones for a halo. It I am completely stumped on how many to order so it goes around nice, and I don’t have too many left over or too few

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gonna be stunning! This is a super dumb question…. But how did you know how many mele diamonds to order to fit around the stone? This is something I’ve been wanting to do: order lab mele stones for a halo. It I am completely stumped on how many to order so it goes around nice, and I don’t have too many left over or too few

I asked Daniel M. My original studs were 5.5mm with 11 3 pointers around each jacket, so I assumed less this time, as the rubies are only 5mm. He was kind enough to whip up a quick CAD for me and advise me re. ideal size and number of stones.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
I’m going to add to this. Vijay is about to start working on a second custom setting for me. Simple, yellow gold, no pave and I’ve supplied my own stones.
But I was really bewildered at what he charges for gold (+labor). It’s like less than a third what I’d pay in the states. The first setting was $350 and the second $280. I was expecting garbage for that price, I really was. The first setting he sent was just a nice as any of the 4 settings I’ve had from JA. Maybe not as quality as BG or WF, but definitely NOT garbage. My local jeweler (not a chain, a decent jewelers with on site gemologist) even commented on the setting and how clean and refined it looked.
Anyhow, a quick Google and for $350 USD a person can live for a month in India, excluding rent. That made me feel a bit better about the prices. I’ve only been to countries where the dollar is the weaker currency, and I didn’t realize how far a dollar would go in India.

photo of the first setting he did.
0749062E-61DF-4D89-803E-83B0A194FA95.jpeg

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
I’ve worked with Vijay a bunch and I’ve found that he does lovely work if you have pictures of exactly what you want and simple changes (I.e. I want this ring but with ruby instead of moissy, this but with oval sides, etc…) Anything complicated that requires a lot of explanation or questions tends to get lost in translation.

I’m going to add to this. Vijay is about to start working on a second custom setting for me. Simple, yellow gold, no pave and I’ve supplied my own stones.
But I was really bewildered at what he charges for gold (+labor). It’s like less than a third what I’d pay in the states. The first setting was $350 and the second $280. I was expecting garbage for that price, I really was. The first setting he sent was just a nice as any of the 4 settings I’ve had from JA. Maybe not as quality as BG or WF, but definitely NOT garbage. My local jeweler (not a chain, a decent jewelers with on site gemologist) even commented on the setting and how clean and refined it looked.
Anyhow, a quick Google and for $350 USD a person can live for a month in India, excluding rent. That made me feel a bit better about the prices. I’ve only been to countries where the dollar is the weaker currency, and I didn’t realize how far a dollar would go in India.

photo of the first setting he did.
0749062E-61DF-4D89-803E-83B0A194FA95.jpeg

To add to your point here, $350 is like a middle-class salary in India (per month) - at least as far as I can tell. The definitions are kind of nebulous. According to this calculator (https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/calculator.cms) a monthly income of $350 would put you at approx top 1.9% of households in India, but that seems suspect imo.

I converted your setting price to INR and thought it seemed reasonably standard. It actually shocks me that in the US this kind of setting would be like $1k. I don't live in India anymore but I get literally ALL my jewelry from there for this reason!

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
To add to your point here, $350 is like a middle-class salary in India (per month) - at least as far as I can tell. The definitions are kind of nebulous. According to this calculator (https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/calculator.cms) a monthly income of $350 would put you at approx top 1.9% of households in India, but that seems suspect imo.

I converted your setting price to INR and thought it seemed reasonably standard. It actually shocks me that in the US this kind of setting would be like $1k. I don't live in India anymore but I get literally ALL my jewelry from there for this reason!

Yeah, agree. I will continue to use Ouros. I like supporting small business, regardless of where it’s located. Price is a big factor, too.

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
Did you send Vijay your stones and he set them in the custom setting he made?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thought I would add to this thread. My experience was less than great but I didn’t get stones but a simple setting to fit my stone. It had little melee moissys and one fell out after one day. He was quick to send me another stone but another popped out while jeweler was resetting it (luckily he had sent me a few and not just one). The setting is thin and flimsy, but it wasn’t too expensive. I hate that the price of gold is so high!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone purchased from Vijay at Ouros jewels on Etsy? I’m looking for an old mine cut lab diamond and it sounds like he can custom cut what I’m looking for. I know he sells moissanite as well under a different shop name. I’m wondering if anyone has purchased from him? I don’t want to get scammed.

Here’s the little OMC I got from him. Diamond is lovely. Setting is fine for the price.

009FBBAC-00D9-4831-8FC3-F1DB63CB78A6.jpeg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone purchased from Ouros lately? I received a quote from Vijay for some lab melee a few months back. I contacted him today to purchase, and the price has gone up dramatically. Has anyone else experienced a marked increase in the price of lab diamonds??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results